Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Had the below from VW on FB. Waiting on an email from them to confirm what the correct guidance is. May take 48 hours. Will post when received.

1694628236667.png

They want to do it to make money, it's a simple as that.
Even by the old (rip off) guidance it doesn't need doing for a year, by the new guidance it doesn't need doing for years.
I'd lose trust in that garage.
I’ve complained about a few things on the list they wanted done and they are offering to re diagnose again for free ( other than the damn inconvenience )the vans going to be with them for two days . Be interesting … i will report on any back peddling that occurs …

Might be worth getting them to enquire of VW directly - would be interesting to see if they can confirm. As mentioned above this is a recent change.
I've already had it confirmed to me by VW customer relations that it's changed. As I say its a peace of mind thing for me.

Cheers

Lee

I've already had it confirmed to me by VW customer relations that it's changed. As I say its a peace of mind thing for me.

Cheers

Lee
Ah, thanks. Didn’t pick that up from your post. Was that via email or phone? If email could you cut and paste the detail? Cheers.

I’m getting mine done tomorrow, 2017 55000 miles, it’s more a peace of mind thing as I travel to Aberdeen from North Wales every three weeks. I’ll report back with the condition of the belt, tensioner and pump

Lee
So had mine done today, checked for faults before they started and it was showing a problem with the water pump?? They didn't elaborate as the mechanic who had done it wasn't there, but it is the water pump with the electric shroud on it. I have all the parts removed here, I will photograph tomorrow and post. Belt feels stiff but is in great condition no signs of cracking or degradation, water pump I think feels tight, but having not felt a new one I've nothing to go on. Tensioner again I think feels tight but I don't know. £520 all in with the aux belt, using OEM parts, gives me peace of mind now for the next 130000 miles :)

Lee

So had mine done today, checked for faults before they started and it was showing a problem with the water pump?? They didn't elaborate as the mechanic who had done it wasn't there, but it is the water pump with the electric shroud on it. I have all the parts removed here, I will photograph tomorrow and post. Belt feels stiff but is in great condition no signs of cracking or degradation, water pump I think feels tight, but having not felt a new one I've nothing to go on. Tensioner again I think feels tight but I don't know. £520 all in with the aux belt, using OEM parts, gives me peace of mind now for the next 130000 miles :)

Lee
You gotta go with what feels right for you. :)

It's about time these cam belts lasted longer than a few years /miles! When the vehicle is used to earn a living, you don't want it off the road having major work done on it at a relatively low age / mileage, and not all businesses change their vehicles every 2 or 3 years before cam belts become an issue. Below 100.000 miles it should really only be fluids, filters, tyres and brakes, The new 130,000 miles for a cam belt is very reasonable, and if they are inspected properly at the inspection service, they should never fail. Cam belts degrade and snap, not suddenly snap out of the blue, unless a foreign object has dropped in.

If you find the VWUK Commercial document with good old Google enclosed belts (timing belt) are included in the warranty. Open belts such as the auxiliary belt are not covered. Neither are warranty parts that are damaged as a result of a non warranty part failing. Therefore if a failed aux’ belt takes out the timing belt you‘re not covered.
My suggestion would be to follow the service interval (no longer 4 years) and worry about the serious sh1t happening in the world where you could make a difference.
Excellent advice! Push the ownership back onto them

So, his biggest concern was getting another star on his name badge and maybe his picture on the “Star of the week” wall?!!
Didn’t read that far in to the email. You’re. More dedicated man than I. ;)

It's about time these cam belts lasted longer than a few years /miles! When the vehicle is used to earn a living, you don't want it off the road having major work done on it at a relatively low age / mileage, and not all businesses change their vehicles every 2 or 3 years before cam belts become an issue. Below 100.000 miles it should really only be fluids, filters, tyres and brakes, The new 130,000 miles for a cam belt is very reasonable, and if they are inspected properly at the inspection service, they should never fail. Cam belts degrade and snap, not suddenly snap out of the blue, unless a foreign object has dropped in.
I've run 3 Volvo XC70s now, and the D5 engine has a design flaw where if the aux belt goes the end tends to whip into the gap at the top and also blow the timing belt that runs on the shaft next to it.

I've always changed both at 100,000 as Volvo advised (no age limit that I'm aware of, maybe it was 10 years) and never thought anything of it. The one I'm still running is on it's third set, though I suspect it will not make it to the fourth.

Just about to get my T5 booked in for cam belt change.

Just checking - it's sensible to do water pump as part of the same service? Anything else while they it's in there?
(it's had all the normal/regular servicing along the way)

EDIT - and from what I read , are we looking at approx £600 ?

Last edited:
Depends on mileage now.
Still prudent to change the water pump.
I would consider a new Auxiliary belt at the same time, there can be issues if it snaps, and there shouldn't be any labour costs.

Timing belt and water pump change is fairly easy to do if you have the right tools and some time. It took me 3 hours to change mine last week. Only 58k on the clock but someone had already replaced the crank seal which is quite common on these and worth doing at the same time. Timing tools are a must though if you fancy a go yourself

you ready for this... my 2018 t32 has done.... 8 thousand miles
its more of an expensive ornament...think its moved ten foot in 3 months...

what are we saying now on the belt and pump then? as i was under the impression i was well overdue on time.. definately not miles... lol

Back