Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Then what about the water pumps and alternator belts that we replaced at the same time as they were 'service items' and likely to fail before 8 year cambelt change?
When do we replace these now?

To me it's a no brainer, do auxilliary belt and water pump at the same time as the cam belt.

To me it's a no brainer, do auxilliary belt and water pump at the same time as the cam belt.
Yes. Pump change makes sense same time as cambelt due to economical reasons although if you want to save up a bit you can change the pump every second time. They work okay for 200k.
The alternator belt makes sense to change same time too but you will find that the tensioner, belt and additional pulley are out of service much faster so I'd say for every cambelt, 2 alternator belts.

Maybe a silly question but now the guidance has changed for the cambelt interval, If the cambelt was to snap before the new recommended mileage do VW warrant it at all?
I would speak to your local VW stealers.

@sipep is correct about VW being the authority on this but I think we can all take a very good guess at the answer.

If you find the VWUK Commercial document with good old Google enclosed belts (timing belt) are included in the warranty. Open belts such as the auxiliary belt are not covered. Neither are warranty parts that are damaged as a result of a non warranty part failing. Therefore if a failed aux’ belt takes out the timing belt you‘re not covered.
My suggestion would be to follow the service interval (no longer 4 years) and worry about the serious sh1t happening in the world where you could make a difference.

Mine is booked in for cam belt and water pump at VW Trafford Park in the morning , Just had a phone call off them telling me they have received notification from VW that they are no longer advising the 4 years rule an dits something like 120K Km and with mine being a 2018 with 36K mileage it doesn't need doing. . Booked the day off work etc could save £650 not having it done , it was only 3 weeks ago at the Preston VW van centre they told me I needed the cam belt and water pump changing before they would allow me to join the extended warranty plan
Confused now !
Looks like I’ve read this at the right time!
Phoned VW Old Trafford and VW Preston last week to get some pricing for a cambelt and some other but they never mentioned this. Think I’ll call again and see what they say.

Mines a 2015 Caravelle with 42k on the clock so thought it would need doing.

Just had a call with VW to book in my 2017 T6 that has 54000 on the clock for a cambelt and was told it has been changed around 4 weeks ago to a mileage based figure of 140000. I asked if the belt was to snap before this mileage what back up would VW give me with the engine being no doubt being buggered, she couldn't answer so put me though to the workshop to speak to the service manager. The service manager had no idea the frequency had changed to a mileage only based figure and told me it was four years. I got put back though to the bookings department and I got a different person who also confirmed the change to 140000 miles, he also confirmed it with his manager, he couldn't help me with what backup VW would give if the worst happened but has given me the VW Customer Care number to go and ask them. So who knows, I am a mechanic and I'm fully aware of the implications of it breaking but I also don't want to spend £700 if I don't have to!

I'll update once i speak to Customer Care.

Cheers Lee

Just had a call with VW to book in my 2017 T6 that has 54000 on the clock for a cambelt and was told it has been changed around 4 weeks ago to a mileage based figure of 140000. I asked if the belt was to snap before this mileage what back up would VW give me with the engine being no doubt being buggered, she couldn't answer so put me though to the workshop to speak to the service manager. The service manager had no idea the frequency had changed to a mileage only based figure and told me it was four years. I got put back though to the bookings department and I got a different person who also confirmed the change to 140000 miles, he also confirmed it with his manager, he couldn't help me with what backup VW would give if the worst happened but has given me the VW Customer Care number to go and ask them. So who knows, I am a mechanic and I'm fully aware of the implications of it breaking but I also don't want to spend £700 if I don't have to!

I'll update once i speak to Customer Care.

Cheers Lee
So yes, VW have brought us in line with Europe and taken away the 4 yearly cambelt change in favour of 140000 miles, so I asked what happens if the belt breaks before their now extended mileage. The answer I was given by Customer Care was if your van is out of its 3 year warranty or over 63000 miles its your reasonability to fix the engine should the belt break before its new scheduled time of 140000 miles.

So it looks like I'll be getting mine done for peace of mind.

Thanks

Lee

So yes, VW have brought us in line with Europe and taken away the 4 yearly cambelt change in favour of 140000 miles, so I asked what happens if the belt breaks before their now extended mileage. The answer I was given by Customer Care was if your van is out of its 3 year warranty or over 63000 miles its your reasonability to fix the engine should the belt break before its new scheduled time of 140000 miles.

So it looks like I'll be getting mine done for peace of mind.

Thanks

Lee
What about those with All-in extended warranty ?

Personally, I think 700 quid investment once every 140 000 or 4 years can be justified. It's not a lot comparing to how severe the consequences could be.

Reactions: CAB
Just spoke to an official VW Garage and they now no longer use years for the cam belt replacement and only recommend a change at 140,000 miles. So good news!!

Last edited:
I’ve just been recommended a new cam belt water pump £700 job on my van too .. the job was done three years ago I’ve done little more than 10,000 miles in that time . Add the covid bullshit and not driving much for about two years.
The fact I’m not losing water .. I’m seriously wondering why my garage want to do this .

I’m getting mine done tomorrow, 2017 55000 miles, it’s more a peace of mind thing as I travel to Aberdeen from North Wales every three weeks. I’ll report back with the condition of the belt, tensioner and pump

Lee

I’m getting mine done tomorrow, 2017 55000 miles, it’s more a peace of mind thing as I travel to Aberdeen from North Wales every three weeks. I’ll report back with the condition of the belt, tensioner and pump

Lee
That would be useful. Is it a VW garage?

I’ve just been recommended a new cam belt water pump £700 job on my van too .. the job was done three years ago I’ve done little more than 10,000 miles in that time . Add the covid bullshit and not driving much for about two years.
The fact I’m not losing water .. I’m seriously wondering why my garage want to do this .

They want to do it to make money, it's a simple as that.
Even by the old (rip off) guidance it doesn't need doing for a year, by the new guidance it doesn't need doing for years.
I'd lose trust in that garage.

I spoke to a Skoda main garage about my Fabia and the lady told me that it has just changed - they had a meeting recently. That prompted me to call my VW main dealer (Skoda are part of the same group) where I bought my van and they told me that they had the same guidance.

It's a VW independent, been around for years really good guys. Using all OEM parts.

Thanks

Lee
Might be worth getting them to enquire of VW directly - would be interesting to see if they can confirm. As mentioned above this is a recent change.

Back