Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Booked the van in today, £712 for the cam belt, water pump, aux belt & tensioner & a minor service.
Sounded OK to me?

Booked the van in today, £712 for the cam belt, water pump, aux belt & tensioner & a minor service.
Sounded OK to me?
It's a bit pricey, I paid £422 for cambelt, water pump, aux belt / tensioner in January at my local independent garage, mine wasn't due a service.
I'd expect a dealer to charge more than a small independent garage though.

Sounded OK to me?
Ouch. If you’re out of warranty then call VW Mad at Rochford and see what price Steve quotes you. I bet it’s a few hundred cheaper than that!

I also had the aux belt changed at the same time as cam belt for all the reasons already given. The only extra charge was another £27. for the belt..

Can any of the forums traders, confirm their up to date price on this service please? Cambelt, water pump, alternator belt? And tensioners?

Fair shout I would shit myself going that long saying that have had 1 belt snap on me due to a water pump failure on an old Astra van and a timing chain jump a few teeth on a old 1series bmw both way before there service times so do air on the side of caution these days! Mate of mine just had his first belt change on his 2015 t6 70,000 miles to risky for me lol

Just had mine done last week at a main dealer. Vans coming up for 4 years old so had timing belt and water pump £650, major service £350
My local garage would have been cheaper but I needed a small warranty job done too so it made more sense to go to the one stop shop. I just wish they'd heed my request and not attempt to wash it but they do....everytime.

VW don't do timing belt change based on time but distance.
210 000 km = 130 000 miles is recommended replacement interval.

I've just spoken to VW, and they say 4 yrs or 120k.

Reading 22 pages of this thread and a lot of the members of this forum are being advised that the cambelt should be changed at 4 years, however @Robert, the second post on this thread suggests that you are correct.

If you'd purchased a T6 in mainland Europe the dealer would have told you it needs doing at 5 years.
In the UK our dealers want to squeeze a bit of extra cash out of us so it's every 4 years.
Actually, if you purchased your van in Germany,France, Belgium, Spain, or any other mainland European mainland dealer, they would have told you that they follow VW’s recommendation, which is 210,000 km without time limit, with inspections at every service. You can read Loz’s post on this forum, where he asked the belt manufacturer about a time limit, and they responded in writing that the belts were designed to last 10 years. Some T6 belts have failed, because VWUK decided that those who owned the serial numbers of the defective belts would only be notified if they came in for an official service. This has been discussed at length in the forum, with members posting VW’s official recommendations from mainland Europe. VWUK, a private importer, has gone rogue and eliminated the inspections at every service and reaped a windfall by making their customers change the belt every 4 years. A member from the VWCC forum asked VWUK about the discrepancy of the UK being the only outlier, and were told that the criteria were “not available to be shared.”

Does anyone know if it gets a full refill of fresh coolant if the pump done at the same time?

Back