Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Would there be any giveaway signs of this progress of failure before the belt succumbed? Really need to hear from someone whose belt has failed, prematurely or otherwise.
Nano-seconds beforehand one experiences an “Oh shit!” feeling, I’m told!

I had a quote from them as well actually. Found them through this forum. I think they quoted me between £900-£1000. My van is a 66 plate with 40,000 miles.
@jono14 did you mention your from the T6 Forum and on recommendation and will be mentioning them in here and prices have gone up lately

or we'll take the extra drive and go to Oli @ Bognor Motors it's always worth a name drop in a Haggle lol

@jono14 did you mention your from the T6 Forum and on recommendation and will be mentioning them in here and prices have gone up lately

or we'll take the extra drive and go to Oli @ Bognor Motors it's always worth a name drop in a Haggle lol
I didn’t mention the forum. Would be interesting to see if that affects the price at all.

Yes they did and I introduced them to the forum. I didn't get a discount for it, but I'd hoped that everyone after me would.
i also told them about us said i' ll do a report on their service back in October 2020 i ll be there in october will remind them hahaha

DON'T THEY KNOW WHO WE ARE .......... LOL

So, just for info (on my 2016 150 T6) at 5 years old. I just had service and belt and water pump done at my local trusted independent who I've used for 20 years
cost breakdown (all VW parts)
cam belt kit £156
water pump £125
aux belt £30

8 litres Castrol oil £84
also brake fluid change, pollen filter, air filter, anti freeze, oil filter etc
5 hours labour

£993 incl VAT

garage is next door (so time wasted to collect £0)
My Mate has just done my T6 4 motion
90k on the clock,all genuine VW parts for £510.71 inc VAT
He is Webb Ellis Auto Center Rugby.

Great service from Mark.

so sticking my head out here . . . .

++++++++++++

i was under the assumption that the reason was . . . . . .

that the water pump on these engines were prone to leaking via its bearing. . .

which would cause the bearing to fail. . .

which would put strain on the rubber timing belt,

and eventually loose a few teeth. . . and cause the belt to fail . . . causing engine damage.

so . . .

i thought that the short interval was to get the belt & water pump replaced before it had a chance to start leaking and break the belt.?

More preventative maintenance. . .

+++++++++++++++++++

I cant remember where i heard this from?

and more than happy to be told otherwise . .
Why would this only be a concern in the UK, and not in the rest of Europe, including Germany where the vans are made, re: VW’s oficial service recommendation of 210,000 km without time limit but with regular inspections at each service? I honesty don’t think there’s a different water pump only for the UK.

Why would this only be a concern in the UK, and not in the rest of Europe, including Germany where the vans are made, re: VW’s oficial service recommendation of 210,000 km without time limit but with regular inspections at each service? I honesty don’t think there’s a different water pump only for the UK.
Agreed... Same water pump.

Fwiw... Our 2018 van was made in the VW plant in Poland.

Then shipped via boat to Southampton.

Then driven to some garage to get the UK Sportline kit.

Then transported to the Dealership.....then handover.

im being told by WV Dartford (Beadles) that TB & WP & sundries is £850 (vat INC) . . . .

plus the service thats due. . . and plus a new key as mines snapped and the blade fell out !

is this COVID prices or what. Jeez. :(:(:(:(:(

anyone got a scan of the invoice for this work from a main dealer to reference?

im booked in monday !!!!

Last edited:
im being told by WV Dartford (Beadles) that TB & WP & sundries is £850 (vat INC) . . . .

plus the service thats due. . . and plus a ney key as mines snapped and the blade fell out !

im booked in monday !!!!
I had three quotes this week at VW van centres:

Basingstoke: £715 (inc VAT)
Southampton: £810 (inc VAT) but would only check the aux belt so it is another £36 on top as I'd want it done
Swindon: £550 (inc VAT) they have "a promotion" but they want the van for 2 days as "It's a big job!"

All are bookable from Monday 21st

good info @JOG

i did ask about the AUX belt . . . and was told thats extra.

but he did tell me that it books out at 4hrs labour, and they charge £100 per hour labour.

so that tells me its £400 plus parts? (plus vat?)

seems different main dealers are charging different rates? - @JOG any idea what companies your quotes were? ie Marshals, Jardeines, Beadles VW etc etc as they are all franchises anyway.

if i had the time id get down to @BognorMotors

+++++

@BognorMotors - whats your current price for the TB & WP & sundries job? (and what labour time is allocated to the work?)

+++++

Last edited:
Martins - Basingstoke: £715 (inc VAT)
Breeze Van Centre - Southampton: £810 (inc VAT) but would only check the aux belt so it is another £36 on top as I'd want it done
VW Van Centre - Swindon: £550 (inc VAT) they have "a promotion" but they want the van for 2 days as "It's a big job!"

There you go @Dellmassive - I've added the names. I got all of them from the VW website.

The issue is time unless you can take a day off work to head down to @BognorMotors

plus the service thats due. . . and plus a ney key as mines snapped and the blade fell out !

im booked in monday !!!!
I shall shortly post a copy of my invoice for that work at £440, only 12 months ago.

im booked in monday !!
Their a proper pull your pants down place

good info @JOG

i did ask about the AUX belt . . . and was told thats extra.

but he did tell me that it books out at 4hrs labour, and they charge £100 per hour labour.

so that tells me its £400 plus parts? (plus vat?)

seems different main dealers are charging different rates? - @JOG any idea what companies your quotes were? ie Marshals, Jardeines, Beadles VW etc etc as they are all franchises anyway.

if i had the time id get down to @BognorMotors

+++++

@BognorMotors - whats your current price for the TB & WP & sundries job? (and what labour time is allocated to the work?)

+++++
For timing belt and water pump is £550. All genuine parts, coolant etc included. It’s may need the main seal doing at the same time, which is very common and adds to the job.

For timing belt and water pump is £550. All genuine parts, coolant etc included. It’s may need the main seal doing at the same time, which is very common and adds to the job.
Beadles were saying to me that "VW Indys" "might" not replace the bolts and things. . . . . . which can lead to VW rejecting any future related warranty claims if the work is not done by the VW book.

so . . . for this work . are there any bolts etc that need replacing? - according to the VW workshop manual?

@whats the time needed for the job? . . and whats your lead time for fitting in this type of job? ( can it be done on a day trip to yourselves ?, you mentioned it can be done "while you wait" - but rough idea on how long?)

FWIW . . .

this picture shows some install sundries like bolts and bits as part of the kit . .

they also show £24 extra for the BiTDI engine variant?

1646330748110.png

I’m watching this thread with interest. Like @Dellmassive i am due my cambelt.

I would suggest allowing a workshop have the van for a day. Fortunately I can work anywhere so long as I have an internet connection which is a bit different for the lads who have to be on site.

I might have to take a trip to @BognorMotors but that has challenges to. It’s a few hours drive but….and it’s a big “but”….is it possible to spend the day there and not be tempted by all the shiny vans and wheels on show! (Big brakes, remaps….the list goes on!!!)

Back