Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

I had the van in for its first MOT last week at a VW dealer and asked about the service they said next service was at 4 years and it would be a cam belt change but was told that as I have low mileage 21000 they would recommend putting it off until year 5 or maybe year 6.

Does anyone know if a cam belt snaps, does it wreck the engine?
Mine hasn't snapped, but i'm 70k in now, and I do have that squelching sound on start up, which might be the cam belt tensioner.
I don't use the main dealers for work anymore, and most of the mechanical work is done by myself, which would include the cam belt change shortly.

Does anyone know if a cam belt snaps, does it wreck the engine?
Mine hasn't snapped, but i'm 70k in now, and I do have that squelching sound on start up, which might be the cam belt tensioner.
I don't use the main dealers for work anymore, and most of the mechanical work is done by myself, which would include the cam belt change shortly.

It will do damage, the extent of this damage will depend on engine speed and load when it fails.

The best advice is to get it done if it’s due and get it done urgently if it’s overdue.

get the water pump done at the same time as it’s pretty much removed in doing the belt (& the belt needs to be removed to do the pump so will save a fortune if the pump leaks soon after)

Mines being done on Monday because my mates snapped on his 102 66plate just under 3 years old with 80k something miles, new short engine replaced under warranty

I don't know why they dont put a cam chain in rather than a belt. Like they do in the petrol engines.

When is Cambelt + Water pump due for replacement ?
I though it was every 4 years but my VW garage are telling me every 5 years.
150 with GSD.

T6 Service Intervals & Inspection, Flexible & Longlife

Timing belt - 85k 4yrs

Cambelt (toothed belt): service interval TBC.

Camshaft drive toothed belt: Checking condition
Applicable to
t 2.0 l diesel engines
Carry out the following jobs:
Remove toothed belt guard
– Turn crankshaft at least one full turn and check toothed belt condition on following points:
t Cracks, cross sectional breaks
t Layer separation (toothed belt body, tensile cords)
t Toothed belt body breakup
t Fraying of cord strands
t Surface cracks (synthetic coating)
t Traces of oil and grease

If faults are found always renew toothed belt. This will avoid possible breakdowns or operating problems. The replacement of a toothed belt is a repair measure.

6-jpg.37931

This will be on the cards for some members this next few months. I believe that VW offer a 24month warranty on parts?.

100% it’s 4 years for the change. Get the full kit changed including tensioners etc

If you're local to is we do this as a wile you wait job using genuine parts.

Last edited:
I have spoken to five VW van centres and two said 4 years and three said 5 years So in the end I phoned VW and was told 4 years.
So I will be getting it done this year and what a big bill that will be. Major service / DSG service / Cambelt and pump.

Out of interest how long does it take?

Approx 3-4 hours

Seems crazy to think I will need to replace my cambelt next year to prevent, 'possible breakdowns or operating problems', when it'll have done less than 20 thousand miles.

They fatigue as much over time as mileage

I have spoken to five VW van centres and two said 4 years and three said 5 years So in the end I phoned VW and was told 4 years.
So I will be getting it done this year and what a big bill that will be. Major service / DSG service / Cambelt and pump.

Main dealers do make me laugh - we take vehicles in part exchange with full VWSH and cambelt changes have been missed as have DSG oil changes etc!

Hi was just at my vw dealer ordering a high level brake light and asked to check which service it needs next.
They said as its 4 years it needs cambelt and waterpump , I've only done 37k I it it's a 4motion 180 2016 . Is this the dealer being over fussy or are these due? I thought they were at 80k

Hi was just at my vw dealer ordering a high level brake light and asked to check which service it needs next.
They said as its 4 years it needs cambelt and waterpump , I've only done 37k I it it's a 4motion 180 2016 . Is this the dealer being over fussy or are these due? I thought they were at 80k
Due at 4 years or 8ok whichever comes first.

Back