Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

Cam belt check every 40k kms replace every 120k kms, see attached.
@Loz the way I'm reading this, surely it's replace at 210,000 miles.....unless you consider the UK to be "dusty".....and I didn't notice a time stipulation....just mileage. Am I the only one still unclear about this??:unsure:

210k km = 130k miles

Kilometers and miles getting confused.

So they advising the change by 120000 miles.

Does anyone know if a cam belt snaps, does it wreck the engine?
Mine hasn't snapped, but i'm 70k in now, and I do have that squelching sound on start up, which might be the cam belt tensioner.
I don't use the main dealers for work anymore, and most of the mechanical work is done by myself, which would include the cam belt change shortly.
Also confirmed that it's an interference engine,

So cam belt failure will result in damage from piston/valve contact.

210k km = 130k miles

Kilometers and miles getting confused.

So they advising the change by 120000 miles.
Quite right @Dellmassive .....my mistake! So, change at 210km....but no mention of time limits???? I'm still unclear??? I ask because mine is 4 years old in September. If it needs doing, it needs doing.....but I just want to be sure.:thumbsup:

Quite right @Dellmassive .....my mistake! So, change at 210km....but no mention of time limits???? I'm still unclear??? I ask because mine is 4 years old in September. If it needs doing, it needs doing.....but I just want to be sure.:thumbsup:

The sheet @Loz posted shows 120k miles.... but doesn't state a age...

Other vw sources as per @Scruffy post above state 4years.

Most other modern diesel engines are the same.

4years due to natural fatigue, shelf life, heat cycles, stretching etc etc

So let's say its 120k miles or 4 years..

And it cheaper to replace a belt every 4 years than ot is to replace an engine.

(You can call VW UK and quote your reg number and get the official word from them) - it would be interesting to see what they say.

The sheet @Loz posted shows 120k miles.... but doesn't state a age...

Other vw sources as per @Scruffy post above state 4years.

Most other modern diesel engines are the same.

4years due to natural fatigue, shelf life, heat cycles, stretching etc etc

So let's say its 120k miles or 4 years..

And it cheaper to replace a belt every 4 years than ot is to replace an engine.

(You can call VW UK and quote your reg number and get the official word from them) - it would be interesting to see what they say.

That'll do for me @Dellmassive .....makes sense! Like you say, cheaper than a wrecked engine! Cheers bruv!:thumbsup:

I think the 4 years 120k is absolutely fine and there is no need for panic as this is obviously well within the limits of a normal Cambelt. The problem is with a certain make of Cambelt which was fitted to my 66plate 150ps van. It had chunks missing out of it at 80k miles and Vw now have recall on this belt.

I think the 4 years 120k is absolutely fine and there is no need for panic as this is obviously well within the limits of a normal Cambelt. The problem is with a certain make of Cambelt which was fitted to my 66plate 150ps van. It had chunks missing out of it at 80k miles and Vw now have recall on this belt.
Mine's a 66 plate 150 but it hasn't been recalled. Do they wait for you to take it in at 4 years old? If it's a recall, should they not be doing it f. o. c? :thumbsup:

Mine's a 66 plate 150 but it hasn't been recalled. Do they wait for you to take it in at 4 years old? If it's a recall, should they not be doing it f. o. c? :thumbsup:
The recall is a Gates cam belt, they need to check it's been fitted. If it has its a free change over. They obvs do not change over the water pump. It would just be a new cam belt change free of charge. Mine was done on Friday, mine was registered Jan 2017 150hp.

The recall is a Gates cam belt, they need to check it's been fitted. If it has its a free change over. They obvs do not change over the water pump. It would just be a new cam belt change free of charge. Mine was done on Friday, mine was registered Jan 2017 150hp.
Right, so have they issued a recall? :thumbsup:

The recall came after I had mine done, I only had mine done as my mates of the same age broke. I believe it’s a typical VW recall as in you have to contact them to find out if it needs doing.

Right, so have they issued a recall? :thumbsup:
Mine wasn't a recall as such, mine was due a service and they mentioned they would be checking the belt when I booked it in. They then called to say it was fitted and it would take an hour or so longer.

It's a "campaign" and not a recall. Recalls are safety issues that manufacturers are compelled to do.

Service campaigns may be very important, but they save some money by some owners never being aware of them! @Petehelmet nailed it saying that we have to chase VW for this one.

Please note, I have phoned various places before (not VW) to ask about outstanding campaigns to be told nothing was outstanding and when vehicles are in for work a 12 month old outstanding campaign is then conducted. In other words, the check is only as good as the person claiming that they have checked the system for the campaign!

Am looking to change cambelt on T6 65 reg . Looking to purchase the locking pins online but they only specify they are for T5s up to Sep 15. Is there any difference in the 102 engine from the t5 to t6. Thanks.

Here are the tools required from the workshop manual if it helps.
8A2AFCBF-C00A-4E1B-A9E6-F7FFE429FF7C.jpeg 3DCE9995-9009-4EBC-9E06-CDA6A4A7DDCF.jpeg C35F3F06-B9D5-4F82-9C48-1668DA10645E.jpeg 45EB9417-6E18-4352-99C3-80B7D8821BA7.jpeg

Joined up to VIP section was hoping there would be a section on how to replace cambelt. Any help appreciated.

Just to add my experience to this thread. I live in Italy. Mine is T6 150CV DSG registered in 04/2017 passenger version. Engine CXFA.
I call VW service delear and confirmed my van was not affected from this problem.
They told me that the camblet service is schedule after 10 years or 200.000 Km....

Here I read 5 years.... May be in Italy we have different service schedule? Or different cambelt materials?

In the UK we tend to get shortchanged on a lot of warranty and or servicing schedules compared to the rest of the world so it wouldn't surprise me if it was 10.
That said, I think I would be monitoring the belt condition!

Reactions: DXX
Back