Cambelt + front crankshaft oil seal

Wanders

Hello all.

My T6 102 has gone into a VW approved service center in South London with a tapping noise coming from the engine.

The noise was identified to be coming from the cambelt so they've reccomended to have a new one, there is also a leak coming from the front crankshaft oil seal. My question to those who are mechanically savy, is this a quick job seeing as the cambelt will already be taken out, 2 birds with one stone scenario? They have quoted me £650 just to do the seal and they reckon it's a 3 hour job ontop of the cambelt work which they have quoted another £700ish.

So to sum up £1350 for a new cambelt and front crankshaft seal, or are they trying to pull my pants down on this? Any advice great appreciated!

Niknak

Mechanic
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Well it seems over the top to me tbh as once cambelt is of it’s only a case of removing the bottom pulley to get to the seal

Niknak

Mechanic
VIP Member
T6 Legend
What is the age of the van ? I take it it’s got the plastic housing crank seal version

Niknak

Mechanic
VIP Member
T6 Legend
In reality if I was doing the job privately I would charge an extra £50 plus parts on top of cambelt price, I think the dealer may be trying to charge for both lots of hrs, in reality they should charge for the oil seal time plus cambelt kit prices and maybe an hr on top to do water pump and bled, I’ve worked in dealerships I know how they try it on and don’t correctly combine times

Niknak

Mechanic
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I don’t think It would take 3hrs to do the total job the cambelts on these are so nice to do

BognorMotors

BMVS Sport & Performance
Trade Member
T6 Legend
That’s very expensive. We charge £550 for the cambelt and water pump. We’ve done loads of front seals on top.From memory It’s around half an hours labour (£35+vat) on top, and dependant if you need the flange or just the seal, worse case on the parts is about £55+vat

HTH

Wanders

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I'll see if they'll do anything with the price but it sounds like I'll be taking my business elsewhere.