Front crank shaft seal leaking

Ricardo274

Retired Firefighter
Just been reading some other peoples disappointments with the crank shaft seals leaking. Been too VW dealership to have my final service plan service carried out today. Bearing in mind my vehicle hasn’t long gone out of warranty coming up to four years old being told my t6 is also leaking oil on the crank shaft seals. The chap from VW telling me this is a common fault with these vans. Surely this should be a recall as so many customers who pay big money for these vehicles are having these expensive repair costs on vehicles some of which have not yet been run in

It is quite common, my dealer wanted £750ish, fortunately I had extended warranty.

I heard some dealers wouldn’t fix it under the ‘all in’ warranty, but clearly some do, mine’s got a Revo and they still did it.

Just had ours done under extended warranty.

61k miles 2018 (5 years)

Was priced @ £1k

Post in thread '@Dellmassive`s T6 T32 Sportline 204 LWB DSG PV MY18 - Van Adventure' @Dellmassive`s T6 T32 Sportline 204 LWB DSG PV MY18 - Van Adventure

It's not a fault as such....

But it is common issue.

The oil control seal on the crankshaft is rubber and wears.... At some point it will start to leak oil.

VW engineered the oil seal as part of a plastic piece that can be easily replaced.

But it does involving removing the sump and aux belt pulley.

I’ve read several theories on what is incorrect with the seals
Dimensional tolerance
Garter spring failure
incorrect Shore hardness

Personally I doubt the leakage is caused by wear, more likely VW buyers opting for the cheapest seal supplier. I’ve seen similar with industrial equipment where cost control is micromanaged by accountants.

Last edited:
Just had cambelt and water pump replaced. The garage checked my front crank shaft oil seal and guess what , it was not leaking, it was dry as a bone. VW dealership obviously telling porkies trying to get more revenue in. That has done it for me will never return to dealership again robbing twa*s.

did they ( the VW garage) do the video report and show you evidence of the leaks?

Just had cambelt and water pump replaced. The garage checked my front crank shaft oil seal and guess what , it was not leaking, it was dry as a bone. VW dealership obviously telling porkies trying to get more revenue in. That has done it for me will never return to dealership again robbing twa*s.
There’s not much extra income to gain unless the VW invoicing is ignoring the timing belt replacement.

There’s not much extra income to gain unless the VW invoicing is ignoring the timing belt replacement.
All revenue is revenue.
I’ve never heard VW say “it’s only an hour’s labour so we’ll not charge you”.
That’s how they make money. An extra hour’s labour is revenue.

Guys seeing this on a lot of our Crafters CAVA engine. Had three fitted now once in VW under warranty. I came to do the cam-belt at 160k found it leaking again. Replaced it with a genuine one did a 100km road test at it was running out stripped it back down and fitted a spurious seal using a guide sleeve waiting to see if it leaks again. It does recommend not to start the engine for 4hrs after installing seen dealers leaving for 24hrs

IMG_7007.jpeg

Just had the crank seal replaced again - now on it's third and has only done 34k. Luckily VW covered the cost.

VW garage told me the seal now has a new part number - so hopefully an improved design and I won't need it doing again!

Just had mine done 4 years old 22k. I have the all in and they did it for free. Had cambelt and water pump changed at same time and they charged me £480. Quite happy with that for a main dealer tbf.

Mine’s just gone again, so one at 3.5 years old done under extended warranty and now 18 months later it’s gone again (total mileage covered 40,000 miles) so I’m going to claim under the All In warranty which I know isn’t always straightforward with dealers.

Will update this thread on the outcome.

I don't have the All In extended warranty, they covered it under parts warranty/VW good will. Also had the cambelt and pump changed @ ~£480. Made sense while they had it apart.

Breeze VW have approved my crank seal replacement under the All-In warranty, I’m happy with that and it basically means the warranty has paid for itself.

Breeze VW have approved my crank seal replacement under the All-In warranty, I’m happy with that and it basically means the warranty has paid for itself.
While I appreciate your relief I wouldn’t be using the word ‘happy’ for a second failure that should never happen within the lifetime of a van let alone 5 years. They should be compensating you for inconvenience and delivering a substandard product in the first place.
Glad you have it sorted though.

Agree mate, I’m on my 2nd crank seal in 5.5 years/40k and others are on their 3rd.

My wife’s old Q5 needed a new rear diff (£5.5k) at 12,000 miles and 3.5 years old.

My mum’s got a Bentley 2021 GTC which has been back multiple times because of a serious leak in the boot which has caused corrosion, mould and borked the electrics.

Does anybody make a reliable vehicle these days?

Here’s an example of a badly fitted seal housing, makes me wonder if the screws are correctly torqued in sequence. Once the housing is twisted the seal isn’t likely to be concentric with the crankshaft. Not a fan of plastic in engines, plenty of independent. reliability studies online also debating the limitations.
The torque spec’ will be for a dry thread but undoubtably the vertical threads will be wet from RTV and will pull down on the housing flange harder, possibly another reason for the distortion of the housing.

IMG_2908.png

So although Breeze have covered some of the cost of the repair, I will have to fork out a proportion myself.

Basically due to the previous repair being over 2 years ago (I think it was less than that but can’t be arsed to dig out the paperwork) they won’t cover it under their own repair warranty and the All In warranty doesn’t cover oil leaks…

But as a goodwill gesture they are prepared to do the repair for free, except they advise I pay for new cambelt kit and water pump for circa £480.

Effectively they do the labour and I pay for parts, which isn’t exactly what I wanted as the ‘old’ parts are only 2 years old at max.

If I do pay and 10 miles down the road my cambelt were to snap they’d cover it, but if I don’t pay they’ll only cover the cost of the oil seal and labour.

And they are not fitting any kind of improved seal so the leak could reappear again and I’d be in the same boat.

For the first time in 5.5 years I’m pissed off enough to consider selling it because the running costs for a van are becoming a real chore.

I could run something way more exotic and it would cost me considerably less to run.

My V8 Mustang cost me £180 in 2 years and I sold it for £500 more than I paid for it!

Guys seeing this on a lot of our Crafters CAVA engine. Had three fitted now once in VW under warranty. I came to do the cam-belt at 160k found it leaking again. Replaced it with a genuine one did a 100km road test at it was running out stripped it back down and fitted a spurious seal using a guide sleeve waiting to see if it leaks again. It does recommend not to start the engine for 4hrs after installing seen dealers leaving for 24hrs

View attachment 202683
So fitted spurious seal and this time left it sitting for 24hrs this did the job no leaks. But for how long I don’t know il keep updated

Back