Front main oil seal leak

stupot

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, just after a bit of advice, bought a T6 204 DSG 4motion a month or so ago and took out All in package so have warranty. It’s had some work done but one thing not being covered is a front main oil seal leak, apparently a flange low down around the cambelt/tensioner. It’s a cambelt off and drop the sump job. Sadly it’s had a recent cambelt or that would have been a way to make the most of the work. Being quoted about £850 to repair (approx £500 parts and 3 hours labour). Should this have been picked up during the eligibility check? Frustrated it wasn’t although to be fair I didn’t check that area of the engine when buying.

Hello.

Have you brought from a dealer?

We charge £750 for timing belt, pump, seal etc. a main dealer will always be more.

It should have been noted on any checks and the previous cambelt of recent enough. We do loads of them.

Hi all, just after a bit of advice, bought a T6 204 DSG 4motion a month or so ago and took out All in package so have warranty. It’s had some work done but one thing not being covered is a front main oil seal leak, apparently a flange low down around the cambelt/tensioner. It’s a cambelt off and drop the sump job. Sadly it’s had a recent cambelt or that would have been a way to make the most of the work. Being quoted about £850 to repair (approx £500 parts and 3 hours labour). Should this have been picked up during the eligibility check? Frustrated it wasn’t although to be fair I didn’t check that area of the engine when buying.
How do they get to £500 in parts. Surely it’s just the oil seal which is about £120. Even if the oil has fouled the new timing belt then they won’t need to do the water pump and other bits surely.
Sound like they are having your pants down a bit.
I’d go see a good independent.

Thanks guys. @BognorMotors no not from a dealer but it had the eligibility check for extended VW warranty before I bought it (was one of my conditions that it passed!). What would you charge just to do the repair (cambelt was done last year).
@Bigsidavies good point, he said seals, bolts and flange? But that does seem steep
Waiting to get a price from an independent, Indetech, who I use for the wife’s Audi and my old Golf (so I can trust them).

Thanks guys. @BognorMotors no not from a dealer but it had the eligibility check for extended VW warranty before I bought it (was one of my conditions that it passed!). What would you charge just to do the repair (cambelt was done last year).
@Bigsidavies good point, he said seals, bolts and flange? But that does seem steep
Waiting to get a price from an independent, Indetech, who I use for the wife’s Audi and my old Golf (so I can trust them).
Wonder if I’m getting front main oil seal confused with crank pulley oil seal?

Isn’t the official name a front crankshaft oil seal?

That’s pretty poor if VW exclude that specifically on the all in warranty. Especially as they do cover it on the extended warranty.

Probbaly best to give us a call to discuss or send you contact details

If its the front crank seal leaking, it will(could) have contaminated the cambelt - So they've included this in the cost?

I still don't understand that after they checked it over and gave it the all clear - then it isn't covered by their warranty?

Thanks @BognorMotors appreciate the reply. If they do indeed reject the claim I may well be in touch! I’ll be asking for a fully broken down quote so I can see parts.

I think in terms of warranty, oil leaks are excluded… but I will be arguing this should a) have been spotted a few weeks ago when being checked and b) it seems like a component failure on a known weak area so surely should be covered and if not warranty then goodwill.

So... warranty claim for front main seal oil leak declined... waiting on a VW goodwill decision.... then I'll see if I need to kick off!

There’s no consistency between dealers, mention that you know someone who had his done under extended warranty without issue, reg is FA57 VWT.

No goodwill, spoken to customer care, still no goodwill, asked for it to be escalated as if this seal was revised, it smacks of being a faulty design. I am told it's a wear and tear item!

How the hell is a main crank seal a wear and tear item! Presumably VW will soon be offering fixed price servicing for a front main oil seal and suggesting a 4.5 year/74k interval…

Back