Front crank shaft seal leaking

An update on pricing with regards to seal replacement...
2016 T6 204 Kombi
Owned from new, had mine done under warranty about 2 years (18k) into ownership.
Current in for service and DSG oil change, call from VW saying it's leaking (again at 55k), quoted £1589.34 for seal only. Yes that's British pounds!
Like many here I love this vehicle but it's getting sold. The list of issues are just endless and that's without focusing on the horrendous post sales service from VW Commercials.
Will be sad to leave the VW behind but I'm out after 7 years or massive annual bills and constant stress. Trouble is, what to get next...

VW quoted £680 to do front crank shaft oil seal..my mate who I’ve used for 30years did it for £400 regassed the air on and did brake fluid in this price…
The VWT6 Ihave has only done 31,000 miles but generally a great automatic van with good acceleration. I use it for camping with bed in it …my old VWT5 I had to seek last year due to London ULEZ..very few problems with it…much better to get a good private mechanic to do the jobs

It must be easier and cheaper to use a £30 Speedi Sleeve if it just a case of wear. What do you get for £1.5 grand?

Hi all, reading this thread with interest. My T6 is a May 2019 (so nearly 5 years old), 150bhp with 6 speed manual. I didnt know about this fault, or that it was a common fault, until I read about it on here and I must admit, it has got me worried a bit. My van mileage has just turned 13k. It has had one previous owner from new and looking at all the service history has appeared to have been well looked after.

Prior to me collecting it from the motorhome dealers who sold it to me, it had a "service" and a cam belt and water pump replacement as part of their 1 year vehicle warranty. If there was any sign of a leak, would it have been obvious to see when changing the cambelt and water pump? If you are not mechanically minded then would you eventually notice "something" that gives you a heads up, IE oil on the drive way, oil burning smell from the engine etc, to cause you to get your vehicle looked at? I have a couple of questions that may be some from this forum could help answer.

Firstly, is there an idiots proof guide as to where best to look to check for this possible leak? Can it be seen from looking down into the engine bay or does it necessitate removing engine / bodywork parts? The photo in this thread seems to be taken looking in from a wheel arch?

Secondly, it has been suggested that VW did a part upgrade for this issue on 2019 model T6`s, is there anyway of identifying what engines had the new improved seal and those that do not? IE engine numbers etc?

I've only had the van nearly 8 weeks and it is already booked back in to the motor home dealers work shop in a couple of weeks to have the yellow EML fault checked out. I was thinking that if I could check the oil seal before it goes, and it is in fact leaking, then they can do that as well.

Many thanks in advance for those who can help.

Rick.

Hi all, reading this thread with interest. My T6 is a May 2019 (so nearly 5 years old), 150bhp with 6 speed manual. I didnt know about this fault, or that it was a common fault, until I read about it on here and I must admit, it has got me worried a bit. My van mileage has just turned 13k. It has had one previous owner from new and looking at all the service history has appeared to have been well looked after.

Prior to me collecting it from the motorhome dealers who sold it to me, it had a "service" and a cam belt and water pump replacement as part of their 1 year vehicle warranty. If there was any sign of a leak, would it have been obvious to see when changing the cambelt and water pump? If you are not mechanically minded then would you eventually notice "something" that gives you a heads up, IE oil on the drive way, oil burning smell from the engine etc, to cause you to get your vehicle looked at? I have a couple of questions that may be some from this forum could help answer.

Firstly, is there an idiots proof guide as to where best to look to check for this possible leak? Can it be seen from looking down into the engine bay or does it necessitate removing engine / bodywork parts? The photo in this thread seems to be taken looking in from a wheel arch?

Secondly, it has been suggested that VW did a part upgrade for this issue on 2019 model T6`s, is there anyway of identifying what engines had the new improved seal and those that do not? IE engine numbers etc?

I've only had the van nearly 8 weeks and it is already booked back in to the motor home dealers work shop in a couple of weeks to have the yellow EML fault checked out. I was thinking that if I could check the oil seal before it goes, and it is in fact leaking, then they can do that as well.

Many thanks in advance for those who can help.

Rick.
you would definitely see a leak with cam belt change, would it be in their interest to highlight it ???

If you have a bottom engine cover you wont see it on drive and it is unlikely to be haemorrhaging oil more of a weep .... I am used to minor oil leaks from older vehicles, it only bothered me this time as my van was newer, relatively expensive and I wanted it right

Best view - drivers side wheel arch, either turn wheels or remove wheel and you will get a good view of bottom crank and you can just make out the seal housing. you will definitely see oil on the crank case or around the seal housing if it is passing,

mine done 55k at only 13k you might be ok. other than that you need to get underneath and remove the bottom cover.

mine is an early 2019, from my research and talking to the dealers there has been more than one upgrade and there are even after market versions available at a lower cost but reportedly the same quality. That many go the dealers keep a stock on the shelves. The OEM part is only £150 ish it is the labour that is the killer. The dealer insisted mine stay in the workshop overnight while the mastic sealer set however a local independent suggested they don't bother and have not had issues

Good luck with the EML ..... let me know if you have P20EE and P204F ....... see my other posts ..... even more so if they find a solution

hope this helps but dont stress too much and if you have only just brought it you are in a good position and right to be diligent now

Hello again Hilly and thanks for the informative post. I agree, why would they say anything if they saw a leak? Best keep it quite and hope the customer doesn’t notice.
I will try and see what I can from the O/S wheel arch, failing that, a mate of mine is mechanic, did the cam belt etc on my T5.1, so I may get him to check it over before it goes back to the dealers.

The EML fault code is the P20EE and 31103, both shown through Carista. The EML came on one Sunday so called the dealers first thing on the Monday to be told that as I had cleared the fault myself and got rid of the yellow EML then there’s nothing they can really do!! I explained to them that the fault is still recorded so it needs investigating and it is under their warranty.

Thanks once again for the reply. Will keep you informed.

Cheers, Rick.

Hello again Hilly and thanks for the informative post. I agree, why would they say anything if they saw a leak? Best keep it quite and hope the customer doesn’t notice.
I will try and see what I can from the O/S wheel arch, failing that, a mate of mine is mechanic, did the cam belt etc on my T5.1, so I may get him to check it over before it goes back to the dealers.

The EML fault code is the P20EE and 31103, both shown through Carista. The EML came on one Sunday so called the dealers first thing on the Monday to be told that as I had cleared the fault myself and got rid of the yellow EML then there’s nothing they can really do!! I explained to them that the fault is still recorded so it needs investigating and it is under their warranty.

Thanks once again for the reply. Will keep you informed.

Cheers, Rick.
you will see it from wheel arch with a good torch

same codes as mine, dealers have had at least 4 attempts at a repair. also got the P204F which is relevant and 33262 which again VW don't recognise

they wont recognise the 31103 code and the P20EE is a generic capture-all SCR error. If you have erased error codes they wont be stored (I made that mistake early on) and they need the codes present to start diagnostics which in my case I can talk you through in detail sadly. there are a couple of others on here with same scenario and it seem no to date has had a fix

mine only gets activated on a long run and I will get a pending then maybe next trip a confirmed or sometimes on the same trip. I believe the system needs a "double knock" to light the EML

picked up from dealers last Friday, pending code on way home (40 miles). only local this week but longer journeys next week which I am 90% will bring on EML again and back to the dealer and blah blah .... ground hog day ..... unfortunately my next visits are going to cost me investigation money £100's

a few experts and mappers have suggested I will through loads of money at the problem and never sort it .... simple answer being code out the adblue .... makes sense but being my new van I would rather have it right and error free if I want to eventually sell it. I will need to make a call shortly and almost feel the latter solution somehow lets VW off the hook if that makes sense.

I will see what I can find in the wheel arch.

Regarding the fault codes, I’m going to get yhem to check the engine software to see if it is up to date, the DPF hoses for splits and also to check the turbo to make sure hoses are still clamped tight. All these suggestions have come from members on here. Of course, whether they will actually take any notice of my suggestions is a separate issue!

Sounds like you’re having a nightmare though!!

I will see what I can find in the wheel arch.

Regarding the fault codes, I’m going to get yhem to check the engine software to see if it is up to date, the DPF hoses for splits and also to check the turbo to make sure hoses are still clamped tight. All these suggestions have come from members on here. Of course, whether they will actually take any notice of my suggestions is a separate issue!

Sounds like you’re having a nightmare though!!
I am but the irony is the van drives fine, just have constant EML on after every long drive hence the consideration to have coded out and i guess why some experienced techs are suggesting it might be the only way

Do you mean EGR pipe split?

On mine they found a slight gasket leak on turbo air hose connect (4th repair attempt and part of the VW TPI after exhausting the software upgrade, measured adblue delivery x 2, glow plug 3 replacement) .... that didn't solve it!

dealer still won't refer to VW Technical head office and can not tell me why the reluctance. VW Assist can't understand either. My understanding is that they have super techs including roving ones and without doubt if this is a known but not so common issue they should have some knowledge awareness.

Lets hope yours is not the same and gets solved, keep me updated

Yes, EGR pipe not DPF. My mistake.

The EML has only appeared once and I had only been driving about an hour. Have done Cambridge to London and back since then. Also Cambs to Eastbourne and back, again with no problem. No EML and the engine ran sweet.

I love the van and love driving it so hopefully it will get sorted with minimal drama.

Will keep things posted here.

Cheers once again for all your input.

Rick

Back