Cambelt + front crankshaft oil seal

Wanders

Hello all.

My T6 102 has gone into a VW approved service center in South London with a tapping noise coming from the engine.

The noise was identified to be coming from the cambelt so they've reccomended to have a new one, there is also a leak coming from the front crankshaft oil seal. My question to those who are mechanically savy, is this a quick job seeing as the cambelt will already be taken out, 2 birds with one stone scenario? They have quoted me £650 just to do the seal and they reckon it's a 3 hour job ontop of the cambelt work which they have quoted another £700ish.

So to sum up £1350 for a new cambelt and front crankshaft seal, or are they trying to pull my pants down on this? Any advice great appreciated!

Well it seems over the top to me tbh as once cambelt is of it’s only a case of removing the bottom pulley to get to the seal

What is the age of the van ? I take it it’s got the plastic housing crank seal version

In reality if I was doing the job privately I would charge an extra £50 plus parts on top of cambelt price, I think the dealer may be trying to charge for both lots of hrs, in reality they should charge for the oil seal time plus cambelt kit prices and maybe an hr on top to do water pump and bled, I’ve worked in dealerships I know how they try it on and don’t correctly combine times

I don’t think It would take 3hrs to do the total job the cambelts on these are so nice to do

That’s very expensive. We charge £550 for the cambelt and water pump. We’ve done loads of front seals on top.From memory It’s around half an hours labour (£35+vat) on top, and dependant if you need the flange or just the seal, worse case on the parts is about £55+vat

HTH

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I'll see if they'll do anything with the price but it sounds like I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

That’s very expensive. We charge £550 for the cambelt and water pump. We’ve done loads of front seals on top.From memory It’s around half an hours labour (£35+vat) on top, and dependant if you need the flange or just the seal, worse case on the parts is about £55+vat

HTH
Vw are saying £1100 and the sump has to come off to change 2 seals

Sounds similar to work I had done on my 2018 T6
It was on extended warranty and both seals were leaking, quite a big job they had to drop the sub frame out to get at the gear box seals, all the bolts were changed, so you could see this had been done.
I got the invoice from them which was just under £1000.
They didn't change the cam belt though despite me asking them to.
So I would say its about right. glad I extended the cover.

seems a common issue with these vans, and wonder if there was a build problem originally. VW seem to know more than they are letting on. that wouldn't surprise anyone here I'm sure.

H
This is clearly more than the front seal and cambelt alone.
I told them it was a cam belt change and the front seal was leaking very slightly,they said they change the inn et deal too,most say this isn’t necessary

Hi - I've just taken my 2018 DSG 204 in for a health check (1 year outside warranty) and they've told me I need a cambelt change and that there is a leak on the crank seal, so to get the 2 jobs done at the same time. Cost is £1K. I wanted to go on the "all in" deal for the 2 years extended warranty, but they are saying these wouldn't be covered by extended warranty. Is that correct, because you seem to imply your crank seal replacement was covered by it? They've also said there is an oil leak from the flywheel bolts and want a further £1200 to replace. But I can't afford that at the moment and as it's a separate part of the van there is no saving to be made to get it done at the same time. I find it astonishing that for a just 4 year old van, with only 70K on the clock, that there are apparently 2 oil leaks costing c.£1.5-£2K to fix. Also highly dubious that none of these leaks were identified on the end of warranty health check I had carried out last year. Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated!
Sounds similar to work I had done on my 2018 T6
It was on extended warranty and both seals were leaking, quite a big job they had to drop the sub frame out to get at the gear box seals, all the bolts were changed, so you could see this had been done.
I got the invoice from them which was just under £1000.
They didn't change the cam belt though despite me asking them to.
So I would say its about right. glad I extended the cover.

Hi
How can it not be covered on extended warranty, of course it is.
Not the cambelt, that’s just routine servicing.
I did ask for the cambelt to be done at the same time, they didn’t do it for some reason, afterwards they apologised, & offered to do it at parts cost. I didn’t bother as a mate who runs his own garage did it.
Look in the ex warranty terms & conditions
Hope that helps

Hi
How can it not be covered on extended warranty, of course it is.
Not the cambelt, that’s just routine servicing.
I did ask for the cambelt to be done at the same time, they didn’t do it for some reason, afterwards they apologised, & offered to do it at parts cost. I didn’t bother as a mate who runs his own garage did it.
Look in the ex warranty terms & conditions
Hope that helps
Thanks Liggo, I think their point is that because I've not yet signed up to the ex warranty it needs to be done before I can go on it. Although they did also say that oil leaks aren't covered by ex warranty anyway. Maybe I'm just too sceptical but it all seems very convenient timing for them to have noticed the leak...thanks again!

Have you tried on line to extend it, it does sound like you have missed the boat, worth a look mind.
It’s a big job to do and maybe worth complaining as it seems to be a common issue.
Good luck

Hi - I've just taken my 2018 DSG 204 in for a health check (1 year outside warranty) and they've told me I need a cambelt change and that there is a leak on the crank seal, so to get the 2 jobs done at the same time. Cost is £1K. I wanted to go on the "all in" deal for the 2 years extended warranty, but they are saying these wouldn't be covered by extended warranty. Is that correct, because you seem to imply your crank seal replacement was covered by it? They've also said there is an oil leak from the flywheel bolts and want a further £1200 to replace. But I can't afford that at the moment and as it's a separate part of the van there is no saving to be made to get it done at the same time. I find it astonishing that for a just 4 year old van, with only 70K on the clock, that there are apparently 2 oil leaks costing c.£1.5-£2K to fix. Also highly dubious that none of these leaks were identified on the end of warranty health check I had carried out last year. Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated!
Bognor motors are worth calling

Have you tried on line to extend it, it does sound like you have missed the boat, worth a look mind.
It’s a big job to do and maybe worth complaining as it seems to be a common issue.
Good luck
I did try but they needed the all in healthcheck to be done before they would agree to extend. I will be raising with VW but suspect it'll get me nowhere. Wonder if there's anything in the Consumer Rights Act - specifically about something being fit for purpose - because for a van that cost c.£50K new, is 4 years old and was allegedly fine only 12 months ago when the final end of warranty check was carried out, I find it crazy that it needs c.£2K+ spending on it to fix two leaks...

Back