Cab Ambient Lighting (factory Mod) - How I Done It -

yes all the OEM ones, the roof lights are a different bulb though to the map lights Travelin lite list them all so take a look on there.

Cab Ambient Lighting (factory mod) - How I done it -

The lower dash LED lighting had already been done before thanks to the forum shop & @Pauly , which can be seen here:

20190705_224634-jpg.46632

so i though i would give the OEM style RED LED ambient lighting a go . . . .

There are a few threads on T6F detailing the operation and parts needed . . . so i had them listed in my ebay basket - but never got around to purchasing said various parts . . . .

Come full circle and a year later T6F member @saxoboy decided to get all the bits and do it as a kit . . . . Yay !!

so here we have it, the kit and fitted look and feel . . .

original post : For Sale - Ambient Cabin Overhead Lighting

The parts supplied we as described,

- the new replacement light unit.
- the loom adapter cable with a 2mtr length of wire for running to the light switch.
- the instruction leaflet.

- I added my own set of LED w5w bulbs.

Things to note:
- you will need a wire nut for splicing into the blue/grey lighting wire at the back of the light switch.
- The original light is fixed in with 2x hidden allen screws behind the bulb screen,
- The new unit just clips into place with no screws,
- If you have the factory MIC or phone etc . . . you need to swap that over.

View attachment 52405 View attachment 52406

all fitted - 15min job

and with a set of these LED w5w bulbs . . . . . very nice.

blue/grey wire from light switch (dimmed ambient lighting feed) as per install guide.

20191011_083247-jpg.52358
20191011_083415-jpg.52359
20191011_083428-jpg.52360
78-jpg.52361

ironically i ordered 2 different sets of w5w LEDS, and fitted the above as they arrived first . . . .

but the second lot arrived today . . . . and look stickingly similar to the Factory LED bulbs that were already fitted.!

these were the LED that i removed from the existing unit . . . . the glass ones were supplied with the new unit . . . . .

20191011_155047-jpg.52402

and these are the other ones that arrived today . . . . .

20191011_155103-jpg.52403

now the thing is that one of the factory LEDs had started to flicker intermittently . . . which was annoying...

so out of there so far id recommend the ones i listed first as above . . . .

What’s a wire nut???

Hi all

Just fitted the Travlinlite Passat centre courtesy light and got a few issues unfortunately
1. The rocker switch in the middle is out of sequence I.E. when switch is on the off position it operates via the doors being opened and when it’s in the door operating position it’s off permanently
2. When I patch into the grey and white wire on the back of the light switch the red leds only come on when door is opened and not on with all the other dash lights when the lights are turned on

This is the 2nd unit from them as the 1st was totally useless and didn’t do anything

Tahnks

Hi all

Just fitted the Travlinlite Passat centre courtesy light and got a few issues unfortunately
1. The rocker switch in the middle is out of sequence I.E. when switch is on the off position it operates via the doors being opened and when it’s in the door operating position it’s off permanently
2. When I patch into the grey and white wire on the back of the light switch the red leds only come on when door is opened and not on with all the other dash lights when the lights are turned on

This is the 2nd unit from them as the 1st was totally useless and didn’t do anything

Tahnks
got some pics?

sounds like the wiring terminals on the black plug which you connect into the back of the light unit are the wrong way round. I would email them and get confirmation of a wiring diagram.

Failing that you could use a VAG terminal tool (forgot the proper name) to take them out the plug and swap them around.

sounds like the wiring terminals on the black plug which you connect into the back of the light unit are the wrong way round. I would email them and get confirmation of a wiring diagram.

Failing that you could use a VAG terminal tool (forgot the proper name) to take them out the plug and swap them around.
I think you’re right about the rocker switch being back to front, not sure about the red LED’s only coming on when courtesy light is activated

Isn’t it meant to be the blue wire at the back of the main van light control switch to connect to for the LED’s?

Grey/blue wire? (LED pwm feed)

More info here:

I’ll try that, you mean the main round light switch to the right of the steering column?

Thanks
Yes that’s the one, there is a set way to remove the switch, I think you push it in and turn all the way one way then gently pull and it should come out

Yes that’s the one, there is a set way to remove the switch, I think you push it in and turn all the way one way then gently pull and it should come out
Hi

That’s the one it’s connected on the back of, the grey /blue wire, the red LED”s only come on when the door is opened and the courtesy lights come on, when they go off on the delays the LED’s go off too

Hi all

Just trying to do the same - using TL LED set. I want these on the ambient circuit and followed instructions on here to tap into the blue/grey and brown behind light switch. I can't get LEDs to come on though.

Here's photo of what I've done. Any ideas?

thanks
Sam

IMG_6787.jpeg

are you sure the screw taps have made contact with the wire?

As in, where the tap punctures the wire? I'll take it off and double check. Was concerned about making multiple holes in the wire (first time I've ever done anything vaguely electrical to the van)

thanks

Back