Cab Ambient Lighting (factory Mod) - How I Done It -

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Cab Ambient Lighting (factory mod) - How I done it -

The lower dash LED lighting had already been done before thanks to the forum shop & @Pauly , which can be seen here:

20190705_224634-jpg.46632

so i though i would give the OEM style RED LED ambient lighting a go . . . .

There are a few threads on T6F detailing the operation and parts needed . . . so i had them listed in my ebay basket - but never got around to purchasing said various parts . . . .

Come full circle and a year later T6F member @saxoboy decided to get all the bits and do it as a kit . . . . Yay !!

so here we have it, the kit and fitted look and feel . . .

original post : For Sale - Ambient Cabin Overhead Lighting

The parts supplied we as described,

- the new replacement light unit.
- the loom adapter cable with a 2mtr length of wire for running to the light switch.
- the instruction leaflet.

- I added my own set of LED w5w bulbs.

Things to note:
- you will need a wire nut for splicing into the blue/grey lighting wire at the back of the light switch.
- The original light is fixed in with 2x hidden allen screws behind the bulb screen,
- The new unit just clips into place with no screws,
- If you have the factory MIC or phone etc . . . you need to swap that over.

20191011_160555.jpg 20191011_160602.jpg

all fitted - 15min job

and with a set of these LED w5w bulbs . . . . . very nice.

blue/grey wire from light switch (dimmed ambient lighting feed) as per install guide.

20191011_083247-jpg.52358
20191011_083415-jpg.52359
20191011_083428-jpg.52360
78-jpg.52361

ironically i ordered 2 different sets of w5w LEDS, and fitted the above as they arrived first . . . .

but the second lot arrived today . . . . and look stickingly similar to the Factory LED bulbs that were already fitted.!

these were the LED that i removed from the existing unit . . . . the glass ones were supplied with the new unit . . . . .

20191011_155047-jpg.52402

and these are the other ones that arrived today . . . . .

20191011_155103-jpg.52403

now the thing is that one of the factory LEDs had started to flicker intermittently . . . which was annoying...

so out of there so far id recommend the ones i listed first as above . . . .

Last edited:
I installed some Travelin-Lite LED bulbs and those T10 wedge bulbs flicker no end. TL were happy to exchange but I couldn’t be arsed getting another set that would probably end up doing the same.

Plus they’re so cold and blue that I hated having them on.

I’ve asked before, but if anyone has any recommendations for something a bit warmer, I’m all ears (or if any of you Cali owners have recommendations for LED bulbs that match your tailgate lighting, then let me know, as they are the temperature that I want).

As always, great post @Dellmassive

Are you going to change the footwell lights to boudoir style so it matches? :cool:

funny you say that . . . . (under dash LED lights)

I have these in stock . . . . I never got around to fitting them as the ones i have fitted now are way brighter....

But . . .

instead of swapping them over . . . . as the under dash lights come on when you open the door etc etc.... I thought.

Why not add them by cutting additional holes for these to be fitted and connected to the ambient light circuit... IN ADDITION to the standard footwell lights.

so yes RED LED "boudoir style" ambient floor lighting, then full blast white when you open the door. (plus they would dim down with the adjuster)

I just haven't got around to doing anything with them yet,

FYI there is a small 3way switch on the rear of each of the TL lights that selects the colour red/blue/white

T5 T5.1 Footwell LED Lights Upgrade Kit & Trim Removal Kit

93.jpg

94.jpg

I installed some Travelin-Lite LED bulbs and those T10 wedge bulbs flicker no end. TL were happy to exchange but I couldn’t be arsed getting another set that would probably end up doing the same.

Plus they’re so cold and blue that I hated having them on.

I’ve asked before, but if anyone has any recommendations for something a bit warmer, I’m all ears (or if any of you Cali owners have recommendations for LED bulbs that match your tailgate lighting, then let me know, as they are the temperature that I want).

As always, great post @Dellmassive

I havent tried them myself . . . . . . but these are listed as "warm white" so should be around 3000K colour temp

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Filament-L...efix=w5w+led+warm+white,automotive,155&sr=8-5

95.jpg

I also bought these leds from travelinlite and mine flickered too,got on the phone to them and they told me they had a few issues with them and that they had changed their suppliers now so sent sent me a new set. Had them in for over 6 months now with no flickering or anything else,vety happy with them and travelinlite.

I also bought these leds from travelinlite and mine flickered too,got on the phone to them and they told me they had a few issues with them and that they had changed their suppliers now so sent sent me a new set. Had them in for over 6 months now with no flickering or anything else,vety happy with them and travelinlite.
Which lights?

The T10 w5w ones?

Their caravelle interior bulb kit. The t10 are good its the rest that flickered.Screenshot_20191012-095517.jpg

Their caravelle interior lamp kit. The t10 are good its the rest that flickered.
Are they still cool white?

cheers mate, might buy these if none of the Cali’s come with LEDs

Do you recommend these as I’m looking to fit some and found these today while looking?

do you just get a small trim tool in one of the corners of the glass to pop it out to get to the bulbs guys?

thanks,

do you just get a small trim tool in one of the corners of the glass to pop it out to get to the bulbs guys?

thanks,
yes along the front (curved) edge, there are small tabs on the back edge that allow it to 'hindge' out. small thin trim tool should do the trick :thumbsup:

yes along the front (curved) edge, there are small tabs on the back edge that allow it to 'hindge' out. small thin trim tool should do the trick :thumbsup:

thank you! bulbs are on order! I guess the method is the same for all lamp glasses? I've ordered enough from Travelin-Lite do keep every bulb in the van the same style.

Back