Bulb Fault lamp illuminated but no fault apparent

Just after a little bit of help…

Put a deposit down on a van at the end of March from a well established dealer. We were due to collect the van 10 days later but it had unfortunately come up with a fault before we were due to collect. The fault apparently is the ‘bulb out’ light on the dash. 4 weeks later and 2 different auto electricians haven’t been able to fix the problem despite changing all bulbs, changing the headlights and changing the light stalk on the steering wheel. Apparently diagnostics don’t show any errors.

We can’t collect the van as it has no MOT and can’t go through an MOT with the light on the dash.

The van is now booked into a VW van centre for 15th of this month where it will undergo more investigation and diagnostics to try and fix the problem with no eta on how long they might take.

Does all this sound plausible? Feels like we’re not getting the full story but I don’t know what the full story could be…? We’ll be getting on for 8 weeks since we out the deposit down at the end of next week.

Thanks

Unfortunately it’s becoming more apparent that VW Transporters suffer these type of problems. The VW technicians are overwhelmed ! I’m just under a month without my Van following an amber Coil symbol and limp mode.
They are struggling to resolve and have no staff to look at it !!!!
It’s under warranty as nearly new btw.
Good luck

Does it have a towbar?

Mine had a similar issue and it turned out to be a fuse for the towbar (no bulbs were defective anywhere).

The bulb out warning won't matter to an MOT as long as the lights are working - plenty of vehicles don't warn of a bulb out - it's only there as a 'helpful' reminder.

VW replaced my van's battery under warranty due to the bulb out warning issue.
I think from previous posts, quite a few batteries were replaced by VW on 2016/7 models.
Perfect I’ll tell them to try this. Imagine it’s been on the forecourt for a couple of months

Years ago I bought a new Mercedes and a week after collecting it gave me a bulb out warning, they changed the lighting unit twice and the light still persisted, eventually it turned out it needed a software update, this solved the issue.

We can’t collect the van as it has no MOT and can’t go through an MOT with the light on the dash.
I get a bulb out warning light, doesn’t bother me, I’ve done some basic diagnostics and it’s nothing obvious so I’ll live with it.
As long as all lighting functions are working it is not a cause for failing an MOT, proven by having gone through two MOTs so far.

I coded out my bulb warning light (when installing LEDs) with VCDS.

Don't you just hate it, when we are left in limbo, DID IT GET SORTED?, an outcome update would be nice, and also what the problem was would give anybody else in this situation a bit of a heads up.

Don't you just hate it, when we are left in limbo, DID IT GET SORTED?, an outcome update would be nice, and also what the problem was would give anybody else in this situation a bit of a heads up.
Haha, apologies!

It went to VW van centre and they ‘fixed’ it. The bulb light has gone but instead we get a warning that the front radar isn’t working. Apparently “they fixed one thing and broke another” but could pass an MOT with the front radar not working. We have to take it back to VW to resolve the front radar not working under warranty. I can ask what the problem was with the bulb if I call tomorrow?

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Back