How long is too long for a garage to keep fobbing me off with 'we are working on it'?

jackieToo

Ok, this might just sound like I'm winging, but I don't know where I go from here!
Back story, I bought my 2017 van (150k+ miles) last year and soon after getting it the engine light came on! cut a long story short I booked it into a VW van centre workshop where they diagnosed several faults including ERG, cooler pully and some other stuff, I agreed to the important stuff and the quote was approx £2.5K, within days they came back and said they found more problems with the loom, glow plug and aircon, and the quote was now up to £4.5k, I duly paid and collected the van, 60 miles later the light was back on, 1st return to the VWVC, collected it about a week later no charge, 84 miles later rince and repeat! 2nd return to VWVC, two weeks later, I pick up again, no charge. 180 miles later the light is on again! this time they came to collect the van, that was 8.5 weeks ago! I phone in and get fobbed off with, we're working on it, oh, we need a new Mass air sensor, it's a loom fault we're having to check every wire, waiting for some new connectors and so on, they say it's a different fault code every time. I phoned again yesterday and got 'he's been working on it all week and I'll call you tomorrow with an update' No phone call again today!
I just don't know where I go from here.

so this is with a official VW van centre !!!

jeez,

well first thing i would do is now start an official complaint via VWCV Customer services. .

id say take the van to a different garage. . . but seeing as you have spent so much time and cash with that garage its only right they fix it.

so call customer services and raise a complaint - they will then start to contact the dealership and try to find out whats going on on your behalf. . ( I've done this loads of times)

i makes the garage start to take things seriously as they are under the spotlight when UK customer services are involved.

remember that the local garages are just Franchises, and UK Customer support is VW themselves.

tell them that the garage is giving you the run around, that they have miss diagnosed it, that they havent fixed the problem etc etc etc - tell them the whole story.

keep us posted. . .

++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++

There’s lots of advice and answers to the most frequently asked questions here.

You can chat with us by clicking on the bubble in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

Feel free to drop into or contact your local Van Centre. Alternatively, you can book a test drive, and for service appointments, you can also book a service or MOT online.

If you really need to speak to us direct, call 0800 783 4909.

You can also email us directly at customercare@vwcv.co.uk.

Also, here are our opening hours:

By phone Monday to Friday 9am – 5:30pm

Via Live Chat Monday to Sunday 8am - 10pm

Please note the Customer Care centre is closed for all English Bank Holidays.

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Complaints Procedure
Click here for more information

1710526497459.png

so this is with a official VW van centre !!!

jeez,

well first thing i would do is now start an official complaint via VWCV Customer services. .

id say take the van to a different garage. . . but seeing as you have spent so much time and cash with that garage its only right they fix it.

so call customer services and raise a complaint - they will then start to contact the dealership and try to find out whats going on on your behalf. . ( I've done this loads of times)

i makes the garage start to take things seriously as they are under the spotlight when UK customer services are involved.

remember that the local garages are just Franchises, and UK Customer support is VW themselves.

tell them that the garage is giving you the run around, that they have miss diagnosed it, that they havent fixed the problem etc etc etc - tell them the whole story.

keep us posted. . .

++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++

There’s lots of advice and answers to the most frequently asked questions here.

You can chat with us by clicking on the bubble in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

Feel free to drop into or contact your local Van Centre. Alternatively, you can book a test drive, and for service appointments, you can also book a service or MOT online.

If you really need to speak to us direct, call 0800 783 4909.

You can also email us directly at customercare@vwcv.co.uk.

Also, here are our opening hours:

By phone Monday to Friday 9am – 5:30pm

Via Live Chat Monday to Sunday 8am - 10pm

Please note the Customer Care centre is closed for all English Bank Holidays.

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Complaints Procedure
Click here for more information

View attachment 233155
Thanks for the reply. Yes, VWVC.
I want to get shirty with them and make a fuss but they haven't charged me (yet?) for ALL this time and small parts they say they are spending on my van. My other half says they are taking the *** now and it's probably just standing in the carpark waiting for me to demand it back and then they can wash their hands of saying their work is not now guaranteed for 12 months.

UPDATE; I now have my van back, hooray.
I did sit very patiently and didn't escalate it to VW. I have to give them some praise as they didn't charge me the hours and hours they spent going over all the work they had done previously and finding a few little problems that weren't connected to their work and eventually found something not of their doing but a botched job the previous owners had done which was eye-watering stupid! they put that right and they only charged me some diagnostic hours. My van is now running soooo quietly. One thing they said which I thought odd was when they eventually found the fault that was throwing an engine light was; " no wonder it was running so rough'. So they knew all along it wasn't running well!
Thank you to everyone who gave advice and concern.

They are so unnecessarily complicated these days. They run various items via the same wires which is fine until it goes wrong. Then they just can’t pinpoint things. VW is no long a manufacturer of reliable vehicles. But then who is ? in reality we don’t need our steering wheels tugging at us when we go near a line in the road. And let’s not even start about touchscreens, the most dangerous distraction going.

Back