Cali Ocean T6.1 - AG7 or DSG7 Gearbox fitted?

Corgimajor

Hi all, I'm a new member to this Forum. I was recommended to post this question on this T6 Forum, in anticipation that there are some technical gurus who may be able to help.

I finally got round to skim reading all the contents of my T6.1 "Multivan" Owners Manual (Edition 06:2022) that came with our Cali Ocean. Near the back (pages 405 - to 408) it sets out the technical specs for all the diesel engine Multivan models (they've listed the relevant 81kW, 110kW, 146 kW and the 150 kw engined models). I was interested to read that our model (110 kW - 150 PS) corresponds to engine code DNAA. This code is confirmed on the driver door production plate and on the official release paperwork from the Wolfsburg factory (our van rolled off the production line and was signed off on 12/09/2022). However in the handbook, the tech spec for this engine code indicates it is paired with an auto gearbox with code "AG7" (or a manual gearbox "SG6"). On the same page they had the near identical specs for the 110 kW model with the engine code CXHA, only this engine model is paired with the SG6 (manual gearbox) or the DSG7 (auto gearbox). Over the page there is another 110 kW model with engine code CXFA again with a pairing of SG6 and DSG7 gearbox.

I purchased our California Ocean with a DSG7 spec (as that was the only auto spec on offer) and so I'm now wondering if I was actually delivered one? Does anyone know what the difference is between an AG7 and DSG7 gearbox? Could this be a typo in the manual, or is the manual is out of date and all 110 kW Multivans now have a DSG gearbox for the auto gearbox option? I tried to Google how you know what VW gearbox you have and some guidance referred to looking at the gearbox bell housing (from cursory inspection I can't see it) or someone said it says DSG on the gear lever (mine doesn't - but this could be an out dated view from someone).

This could be a wild goose chase, but I'd be interested to know from anyone else that owns a 110 kW (i.e. 150 PS) Cali Ocean that was delivered last year (from say October 2022) what their Engine Code is (i.e. is it a DNAA, CXHA or CXFA - look at production plate on Driver Side B pillar to find out) and whether their gear lever has any "DSG" identification on it? In meantime I'm going to email VW Customer Services in the UK and ask them the same question.

I'd also be interested to know if the Multivan owners manual has a newer edition (than 06.2022) and whether these tech specs for the 110 kW diesel DNAA engine have changed?

The gearbox code is on the vehicle data sticker in the manual.
Hi There, I know what you mean as I've had other VW and Skoda vehicles and usually you have a piece of paper with a whole raft of codes and the same sticker is stuck in the vehicle (usually the spare tyre well in the boot), but I don't have anything like this stuck in the multivan owner's manual or California supplement. I only have the vehicle Test Certificate and Certificate of Conformity issued at VW Wolfsburg. These identify the Engine Code DNAA, but nothing related to the gearbox (other than it is 'automatic'). Hence why I only have the technical data in the handbook to go on.

Try this something like this instead.

Just enjoy your van.
Hi Gavinda , thanks, I am. However part of this enjoyment for me is understanding what it is that I own and this uncertainty is bugging me. Hopefully between this forum and VW themselves, all will become clear!

Hi There, I know what you mean as I've had other VW and Skoda vehicles and usually you have a piece of paper with a whole raft of codes and the same sticker is stuck in the vehicle (usually the spare tyre well in the boot), but I don't have anything like this stuck in the multivan owner's manual or California supplement. I only have the vehicle Test Certificate and Certificate of Conformity issued at VW Wolfsburg. These identify the Engine Code DNAA, but nothing related to the gearbox (other than it is 'automatic'). Hence why I only have the technical data in the handbook to go on.
Look in the drivers footwell under the steering wheel, there should be a build sticker under there.

Reactions: Loz
Look in the drivers footwell under the steering wheel, there should be a build sticker under there.
Hi Salty Spuds, no joy. As per original post the only production label is on the drivers B pillar, which gives the vehicle's VIN, address of manufacturer, the engine code (DNAA) and three other numerical references. Next to the Engine code, the reference L1743441711. Next to the VIN, the reference Typ: 7HMA and Next to the VIN, the reference: e1*2001/116*0289.

Sign up for vip membership. then you can provide your vin number to @Pauly and he can give you I pdf doc with the details of your vehicle, incl gearbox code.

Hi Salty Spuds, no joy. As per original post the only production label is on the drivers B pillar, which gives the vehicle's VIN, address of manufacturer, the engine code (DNAA) and three other numerical references. Next to the Engine code, the reference L1743441711. Next to the VIN, the reference Typ: 7HMA and Next to the VIN, the reference: e1*2001/116*0289.
I thought all vans got a sticker in the drivers footwell stuck to the underside of the dash, have you bent right down and looked up above the pedals ?

I thought all vans got a sticker in the drivers footwell stuck to the underside of the dash, have you bent right down and looked up above the pedals ?
So did I, and in the owners manual. If neither are there, something is off.

Hi Pauly, The following image is the only label I could see under the steering column in the driver's footwell. I think it has something to do with the vehicle's data link, rather than a more general information label for the van, but happy to be advised otherwise. NB. Salty Spuds reckoned I could get a .pdf data sheet from you that would reveal what gearbox the van had based on its VIN. How do I go about doing that ? (I've registered as a VIP member now).

20230130_183716.jpg

Hi Pauly, The following image is the only label I could see under the steering column in the driver's footwell. I think it has something to do with the vehicle's data link, rather than a more general information label for the van, but happy to be advised otherwise. NB. Salty Spuds reckoned I could get a .pdf data sheet from you that would reveal what gearbox the van had based on its VIN. How do I go about doing that ? (I've registered as a VIP member now).

View attachment 186415
Have a look to the left of that sticker, further down. You have to get your head right into the bottom of the footwell & look up above the brake pedal.

More info here

You guys! if I hadn't spent some time in the navy I wouldn't have a clue what you're on about . However alongwith the absence of a golden rivet (though lord knows for the price the Cali' should have a few) there was no sign of a production sticker either.

That said the transmission model info from the data sheet that @Pauly provided against the van's VIN shows that this vehicle has a dual clutch gearbox.

So I think that solves my enquiry. Thanks for your assistance. If I hear anything different from VW Van customer services in the next few days, I'll add it to this thread.

Back