Brakes (lipped) query

D

Deleted member 224

Hi, van is currently in for a full service/mot and front pads are 80-85% worn so need to get them changed, but they also noted the discs were lipped and recommed replacing also although they could take another set of pads...

Is it best to get the discs replaced at same time so there is no issues with the new pads etc?

Rear pads are 65% worn and discs also lipped, but I'll save those for next year..

VW T6 T32 204 Kombi on 35k miles

its 4 years old in jan and they also advised cambelt and water pump needs doing but i'll wait another year for this as only on 35k miles, does that sound sensible?

I can sense a debate starting lol, can you measure the discs to check the thickness if they are not scored or giving you judder I would put a set of pads in as long as the new pad does not ride the lip check your old pads for signs of this,

its currently in with VW at the moment having a full service and MOT so I cant check them myself right now, but they did say they would take 1 more set of pads. I'm tempted just to get them both done now and start afresh but its pretty costly.

Niknak's opinion is a qualified professional one, mine is not, but for what it's worth VW have told you that the discs will take a set of pads and the inference that if you do so, the next time you replace pads the discs will require changing, so I'd go down that route.
I'm sure if the discs were so worn, scored or damaged that they needed changing now, they would be advising you that it must have new discs now.
Also I'm doing my cambelt at 5 years, like every European VW dealer advises, not 4 years like rip off VW UK advises.

thanks Dave, think i'll do mine somewhere in between lol

The disk wear is limited to 4mm 2 on each face so if there is a lip then whey will probably need changing.
IMG_0138.jpeg

The wear specification is there for a reason. If they are not cracked, pitted or warped they will go another set of pads as VW state. New discs won’t perform any better than your used ones. Not unless you want to drive like Lewis Hamilton.
Personally I keep a record of milage, disc thickness and pad thickness. Measured at opportunity (wheel off), that way I can see a trend and plan accordingly.
There’s no sense in making motoring anymore expensive than it already is.

its currently in with VW at the moment having a full service and MOT so I cant check them myself right now, but they did say they would take 1 more set of pads. I'm tempted just to get them both done now and start afresh but its pretty costly.

Hi @steve i see your in Kent i can recommend VW Centre VanTech in Uckfield for your Water pump / belt change just have just pads fitted now and get them to give you a 2nd opinion on the discs.

They have just done my Van service + belt and pump @ only 19,000 miles but 4 years old and i got peace of mind but i saved a lump

i had the toothed alternator belt changed at the same time and a MOT £617 42 all in i supplied the oil as i wanted Castrol Edge

I have previously ground the lip off disks with an angle grinder. It doesn’t take much as the lip is usually quite thin so it could probably also be done with an electric file. That way, it won’t wear the top/bottom edges of your new pads. It also makes it easier to check the disk thickness with a pair of vernier calipers. I’m not sure whether that is an acceptable practice or not, and I am happy to be told it is not - with justification.

I have previously ground the lip off disks with an angle grinder. It doesn’t take much as the lip is usually quite thin so it could probably also be done with an electric file. That way, it won’t wear the top/bottom edges of your new pads. It also makes it easier to check the disk thickness with a pair of vernier calipers. I’m not sure whether that is an acceptable practice or not, and I am happy to be told it is not - with justification.

You can measure a disc with a lip by using a pair of spacers with the caliper / micrometer and subtracting the spacers combined width from the figure.
Grinding off a disc is possible but needs to be done very carefully to avoid unbalancing the disc, personally I wouldn’t do it. Probably better and easier to lightly file the edge off the new pads if needed. I never had to do this.

You can measure a disc with a lip by using a pair of spacers with the caliper / micrometer and subtracting the spacers combined width from the figure.
Of course - but it is easier without.

I wouldn’t have thought that there is enough material in such a raised lip to affect the balance unless you were really cack-handed, but of course it needs to be done carefully as you don’t want to score the surface of the disk. If the alternative is shelling out for new disks, then it is worth doing and if you are not happy with the result, well nothing lost - buy new disks.

I can see the rationale for carefully removing the lip!

To the original query, my vote would be to just do the pads this year, especially with the limited mileage we are doing this year! Then, next year, do the discs, pads, cam belt, water pump etc in one hit! Looks like someone made a recommendation on somewhere to have it all done too!

J F Y I just the belt and water pump kit all in £350 + vat a small price for peace of mind done for the Next 4 years and work carried out by a V W trained mechanic and a very nice guy. They have my vote of confidence that's for sure.
VW VanTech Uckfield plus the vans running a treat. They might also do discs at a very reasonable rate

Back in the days you would replace discs based on wear. No idea which composition of chinesium is used for discs now, but my experience is that they just corrode and disintegrate well before reaching any sort of wear limit and in many cases the brake pads themselves last longer than the discs!

Back in the days you would replace discs based on wear. No idea which composition of chinesium is used for discs now, but my experience is that they just corrode and disintegrate well before reaching any sort of wear limit and in many cases the brake pads themselves last longer than the discs!
Too true!
“Chinesium” - I am definitely stealing that one!!!

J F Y I just the belt and water pump kit all in £350 + vat a small price for peace of mind done for the Next 4 years and work carried out by a V W trained mechanic and a very nice guy. They have my vote of confidence that's for sure.
VW VanTech Uckfield plus the vans running a treat. They might also do discs at a very reasonable rate
Good price!

Back before those days, disks didn’t seem to wear out at all, often lasting the life of the car. But then the pads were made of asbestos, and we now know how unhealthy that is. It seems to me, that in current brake set ups, the disk is as much of a wear item as the pads, generally lasting through two sets of pads. But then brakes have got better as well, so maybe that was inevitable. Thankfully, disks are a lot easier to change than on vehicles from the 60’s and 70’s.

My brake wear the last time I checked, all original equipment as supplied on 2016 MY 180PS, SWB, larger front discs.
I think the standard equipment is pretty good as after almost 41K miles I have average disc wear to limit spec of 12% on the front and 42% on the rear.
I pay for the fuel so the right foot has a light touch.

Front nominal 32.5mm, wear limit 29.5mm.

Front n/s, 20 June 2020, milage 41322, 31.67mm. Pads approx 8mm.

Front o/s, 20 June 2020, milage 41322, 31.59mm. Pads approx 8.5mm.

Rear nominal 22.0mm, wear limit 19.9mm.

Rear n/s, 25 April 2020, milage 40833, 21.13mm. Pads approx 8mm.

Rear o/s, 26 April 2020, milage 40833, 21.08mm. Pads approx 6 outer, 8 inner, uneven wear the best I can see.

Hi,

Van is 66 Plate (102bhp). Have done 41k miles. It's a Camper so appreciate always carrying weight.

'Check Brake Wear' came on recently. I assumed Front's but it's been on the ramp it's the Rear's that are worn - what does surprise me is I'm being told Discs are lipped.

Although this thread is 6.1, @Pauly makes reference to fact it's not uncommon for rear brakes to wear first - so have faith the Garage are being straight.

I just wondered if anyone else had had to changes rear Discs at only 41k miles? Would anything in particular cause the lipping?

I've been quoted £235 pads and discs, this seems a fair price... I know many of you do this yourselves, but it's not a job for me. Just like to check I'm paying a fair price though.

Thanks,

Mileage seem ok to me. It’s a job any tyre/brake shop could do so you could ring around. Prices are different up and down the country

Back