T6.1 brake issues

Obee1toby

Anyone on here notice that the rear brakes wear massively compared to the front? It’s like the bias is way too much to the rear, my fronts are like new and both rears discs and pads are shot. Never had a vehicle where the rears wear more than the front.

Not saying it’s the definitive reason but the rear pads have a far smaller surface area than the front pads.

My rear pads went before the fronts on my T6 and think its the same for a lot of people ?

Not saying it’s the definitive reason but the rear pads have a far smaller surface area than the front pads
Good point though the majority of work is designed to go to the front because that’s where you want it under braking, rear is too help and stabilise the back end hence the smaller set up. Never have I had the rears of any vehicle go that quickly when the fronts look new. I did notice early on that the brake dust is worse on the rear than the front, again normally your fronts suffer the most. You also want the majority of your braking at the front as that’s where the weight transfer is when you brake pushing the front tyres down.

Drive with the adaptive cruise on a lot?

On every other VAG car i've owned with it since 2014 i found the rears take a hammering from the adaptive cruise using them to control the speed.

On every other VAG car i've owned with it since 2014 i found the rears take a hammering from the adaptive cruise using them to control the speed.
Really?
I don't have adaptive cruise control but I'm glad I don't if that's how it works!

Really?
I don't have adaptive cruise control but I'm glad I don't if that's how it works!
Why so surprised? How did you think it controlled speed gained down hill for example? It will use the fronts too if needed, but in the same way a minor throttle inputs to maintain speed, it will drag the rear brakes lightly to slow down.

Hadn’t thought about the acc, though to be honest I hardly use it. Now wondering how much you have to use it for it to wear this quick, suppose if you use it in heavy traffic it’s constantly working which can lead to excessive wear.

The rear pads on my T6 Caravelle wore prematurely due to excess corrosion of the discs. This was probably caused by lack of use during the first Covid lockdown and that the rear brakes only provide approximately 30% of the total vehicle braking effort. The front discs and pads are still in good condition after 40K miles.

Why so surprised? How did you think it controlled speed gained down hill for example? It will use the fronts too if needed, but in the same way a minor throttle inputs to maintain speed, it will drag the rear brakes lightly to slow down.
You've said that on every VAG car you've owned since 2014 the ACC has given the rear brakes a hammering.
I assumed it used engine braking to a point then braked normally, as we would, to achieve the speed reduction required, especially if going downhill, when the braking would mostly done by the front wheels.
I'm surprised it uses the rear brakes more, and still not sure why.
My brakes have always lasted years and tens of thousands of miles so I'm happy to keep looking ahead and planning my driving the old fashioned way!

My 6.1 dsg uses engine braking on acc- the box changes down much sooner when the acc is on than when it’s off. Then I’ve assumed it uses the brakes as normal.

At least the rears are cheaper, I changed my rear discs and pads a few month ago for under £100. The fronts were around five times that.

I'm surprised too. I have never used my ACC on my current van and the rears are shot after 18k. Fronts said to be good for another 10k yet.
I've never owned a vehicle where the rears wear quicker than the fronts.
I'd agree with you about what slows the vehicle down when using ACC but what's the logical explanation in my circumstances do you think??

It's not just ACC. It's ESP working behind the scenes as well.

Years ago in my old Passat, that would put nearly as much brake dust on the rear wheels as the fronts. Even on long motorway runs with hardly any braking. On one 200 plus mile run to Kent, I drove all the way with the ESP off. Results? Perfectly clean rear wheels.

At least the rears are cheaper, I changed my rear discs and pads a few month ago for under £100. The fronts were around five times that.

I've done mine recently. They were absolutely shot at 30,000 miles. It was booked in for service, so a couple of weeks before I rang the dealer for a price to do it whilst it was 'on the ramp' £420 inc VAT!!!. "No, that's the retail price on your screen. What's the real price?" "No Sir, it's a fixed price menu. That's how much it costs."

So, the day before it went in for service, genuine discs and pads from TPS for around £100 and £20 for the use of a mates ramp. Job done. When I got the video from VW during the service, the 'fitter' commented that the rear brakes looked quite recent and were showing around 10% of wear.

Here’s what I recorded the last time I measured my rear discs and pads, 2016 MY.
I’m happy with the wear rate, brake wear will obviously depend on how often and how hard you brake.
Looking at the discs they should be good for at least 60K - 70K miles and the pads not maybe slightly less.

Rear disc nominal 22.0mm, wear limit 19.9mm.
Rear n/s, 25 April 2020, milage 40833, 21.13mm. Pads approx 8mm.
Rear o/s, 26 April 2020, milage 40833, 21.08mm. Pads approx 6 outer, 8 inner, uneven wear.

Here’s what I recorded the last time I measured my rear discs and pads, 2016 MY.
I’m happy with the wear rate, brake wear will obviously depend on how often and how hard you brake.
Looking at the discs they should be good for at least 60K - 70K miles and the pads not maybe slightly less.

Rear disc nominal 22.0mm, wear limit 19.9mm.
Rear n/s, 25 April 2020, milage 40833, 21.13mm. Pads approx 8mm.
Rear o/s, 26 April 2020, milage 40833, 21.08mm. Pads approx 6 outer, 8 inner, uneven wear.
Has your t6 got automatic cruise control? I’m not heavy at all on brakes and my rears are shot with 18k, I’ve had many vehicles that have done 60k plus on discs and a little less on pads but this transporter is a joke. Even with the lightest of feet I can’t believe 50/60k is possible.

Has your t6 got automatic cruise control? I’m not heavy at all on brakes and my rears are shot with 18k, I’ve had many vehicles that have done 60k plus on discs and a little less on pads but this transporter is a joke. Even with the lightest of feet I can’t believe 50/60k is possible.
I have cruise control but it’s not linked to the braking system.
I never tailgate, look well ahead and take my foot off the accelerator to slow down. Braking wastes fuel.
The brake readings are correct, I’m also on track to get 60K miles out of my Cargo Vectors.

I have cruise control but it’s not linked to the braking system.
I never tailgate, look well ahead and take my foot off the accelerator to slow down. Braking wastes fuel.
The brake readings are correct, I’m also on track to get 60K miles out of my Cargo Vectors.
The point is not about driving style, we all know how this effects longevity but why the rears wear at a rate far greater than the fronts. If people are heavy on the brakes the fronts would wear quickly which in this case there not, fronts are like new and the rears are shot. I can only think like someone commented earlier that the acc causes more wear than first thought.

If any thing would cause this i would think esp would be the more likely culprit

Back