Bodans Conversion

Tjf

Hi

So we are booked in to have our conversion done by Bodans in the Autumn and we are pleased with our choice. They could not have been more helpful, have been very responsive and don’t seem to get annoyed by our queries. We are having the roof and bed put in before this so we can use the van over the summer with the kids.

I wanted to ask anyone who had their conversion done or being done by Bodans for any tips, anything you think we should definitely ask for or query, anything you wish you had had done differently etc?

Our conversion is based on their Lythwood one (3 seat RIB bed at the rear) but we are having windows all the way round (so no cupboard at the back right/drivers side) and underslung water and gas. Our van is Acapulco Blue.

Many thanks

Tracy

Ours was converted by Bodans (picked it up a couple of weeks ago) and overall no complaints from us, very pleased with the quality and their attitude to customer service has been excellent.

This is mine done by bodans.
IMG-20180310-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20180310-WA0004.jpg
Really please with the result.
Thanks to suggestions on here I have a switch in the B pillar trim that turns on 1 light above the sliding door this is handy for throwing shopping in etc without needing to climb across the van to the control panel. This has been the most used light by far.

If I was doing it again I'd only change a few things:
A light that turns on or can be turned on that illuminates the rear section when accessing van from the rear. I've found their current light arrangement doesn't really shed much light past the bed.
Possibly double their battery capacity or add another solar panel. Just to help with running the fridge and lights off grid for longer
Had a hole made in the base of the wardrobe so I can access the gas bottle tap without going outside and to the back of the van. I doubt your underslung tank will have this issue. I just like having gas bottle turned off at night, even with a gas alarm prevention is better than cure.
Possibly change the seperate sink and gas hobs to a smaller joined unit to create a bit more worktop space.
We find that you need to move everything off the tops to open the gas ring or sink. An extra bit of worktop would just help to store immediate items such as cutlery and plates to allow food prep on the table.

Only one major niggle...
The kid with silicone gun had too many Haribo when sealing the pop top. I still keep finding silicone all over the place including bodywork. Found some today on the carpet inside the wardrobe.
If I think of anything else I shall let you know.

Also if you plan on getting a fiamma awning or an awning rail fitted I'd get bodans to do it.
Only because once everything has been carpeted it's almost impossibly to check behind panels before drilling or screwing.
I thought I'd save some money and fit the awning myself but finding it a ball ache.
All in all I'm pleased with the result, now I'm out using the van I still find ideas on other vans thati wish I had done,
Heighnsight is a wonderful thing.

We went with a Wallas XC Duo diesel hob/heater to free up more storage space and remove the need for an extra fuel source.
I agree with @Ed Webb that a B pillar switch for a single light is a good idea (it was omitted from our build but they are goin to add it soon), we had a solar panel fitted and a larger battery than they normally supply (I purchased it following a recommendation on here) fitted under the passenger seat to allow us to spend longer off hook-up. The fridge can run for 24hrs on a nice day and the battery level remains constant. As yet we haven't found anything else we would want. Couple of pics:

Ed

Thank you so much.. I knew I would get some fantastic responses as people on the forum so helpful. Please let me know if you think of anything else and I will take your suggestions on board as they sound very sensible. I can imagine you can never be completely satisfied with your own conversion when you see things in others which is why I thought I would do this posting! We are going to get the awning rail fitted at same time as roof in the first stage of the conversion.

I love your colour combination....your van is Acapulco blue too isn’t it? I wish I was brave enough to go for the orange! How are you finding it? I have until next Tuesday to decide on the colour for the canvas. I was thinking of the royal marine colour but feeling a bit boring now.

Amy other tips ...however daft you might think they are....pass them on! Believe you me, we need all the help we can get. Need to decide on things like bedding, which Vango awning, what to store things like clothes in etc etc.

How were Bodans in terms of the time estimate for conversion? We have been told October although are hoping it might be earlier. Thankfully they have been so kind as to fit the bed next month for us.

All the best and many thanks

Tracy

Ours was converted by Bodans (picked it up a couple of weeks ago) and overall no complaints from us, very pleased with the quality and their attitude to customer service has been excellent.

Thanks so much..great to hear! I love your colour combination too!

Having spoken to them yesterday, I think you will very lucky to get in early as they have been very busy and both workshops are working flat out to keep up with demand. We were delayed by VW having the floor rails on back order and they are always at the mercy of outside suppliers as with any business. Hope it all goes well and look forward to seeing the end result.

Our conversion was by another but one of the best things we got them to supply and fit was a swing out table by the sliding door.
I tried to find a photo but failed.
This table is fixed to an arm bolted to the pillar behind the passenger seat and we find it invaluable.
Here is a generic photo I found
upload_2018-6-5_14-28-6.jpeg

@Tjf I love the orange. Our first camp in the van was at Bala was a few weeks ago with the forum rabble, the orange canvas had some good reviews and comments and was easy to spot when walking back from the loo.
Van is Acapulco blue which is obviously the best colour ;)
we clearly have great taste...:whistle:

Last edited:
Our van is up at Bodans at the moment waiting to be converted as said before staff and advise are both excellent
They have no problem with doing whatever you want proper bespoke conversion other companies were this is what we do and that's it.
we have gone for a Haughmond front end for the units and a Lythwood back end with a 112cm bed and an infill between the bed and units so when the beds down the top 2 sections of bed are 130cm wide and the feet section 112cm
the reason for doing this was didn't like the way the sink/hob stuck out so far on the Lythwood
as far as extra's went we had sockets 240v and 12v fitted on the small panel at the base of the drivers seat and swapped 1 of the 12v for a USB and went for under-slung gas with gas heater and extra lights

Ed Webb i hope you don't mind me asking but why did you only have 1 door on the front panel below the bed

Ed Webb i hope you don't mind me asking but why did you only have 1 door on the front panel below the bed
TBH never really thought about it. That's just how it came, and actually im not sure how much use it would get. The seat belt spools are in this section so its a funny shape down there, I use it for storing camping chairs and an umbrella. I probably wouldn't use the door even if it came with it.

Hi @Tjf we had our conversion done at Bodans the same as yours, lythwood design 3 seater RIB bed as @Ed Webb web says we had a light fitted in the back for when we access the tailgate in the dark. We are also going back in to have a light and switch fitted for when we open the sliding door in stead of leaning accross to switch them on at the panel. I cant fault them or the lads in the workshop, in fact they are currently building me a second one in august
20170913_143229.jpg 20170913_143240.jpg

Holy moly is that really your van @Ed Webb !!
The last time I saw that, we were throwing a set of wheels in the back and cleaning our hands after touching the inside:whistle:
Wow, what a transformation, it looks amazing.

Holy moly is that really your van @Ed Webb !!
The last time I saw that, we were throwing a set of wheels in the back and cleaning our hands after touching the inside:whistle:
Wow, what a transformation, it looks amazing.
Thanks buddy, massive change from when you saw it, I even wash it occasionally now.
Left it in a car park as a panel van and 5 weeks later I left the same car park with this beauty and no money.

Thanks buddy, massive change from when you saw it, I even wash it occasionally now.
Left it in a car park as a panel van and 5 weeks later I left the same car park with this beauty and no money.
i had a switch fitted at the back for that very reason as if it’s dark and you need to go in the back I can just put that light on. Another thing I had was a fiamma strip light that slides into the groove underneath the awning. It is wired to a switch in the van but we also had it fitted to a remote control that Also dims it as it is extremely bright on a dark camp site. Tables stored in the door is also handy. My van isn’t from there but I used there design as it looks really nice. I did contact them to do it but they couldn’t fit me in as I was on a tight deadline. We added a D2 diesel heater with a programmer at the last min as we hired a California just before it was finished and they had one in and I’m so glad we did as it’s fantastic. It’s good to see what other people have before get yours done as you can get good or bad ideas.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

i had a switch fitted at the back for that very reason as if it’s dark and you need to go in the back I can just put that light on. Another thing I had was a fiamma strip light that slides into the groove underneath the awning. It is wired to a switch in the van but we also had it fitted to a remote control that Also dims it as it is extremely bright on a dark camp site. Tables stored in the door is also handy. My van isn’t from there but I used there design as it looks really nice. I did contact them to do it but they couldn’t fit me in as I was on a tight deadline. We added a D2 diesel heater with a programmer at the last min as we hired a California just before it was finished and they had one in and I’m so glad we did as it’s fantastic. It’s good to see what other people have before get yours done as you can get good or bad ideas.

View attachment 23534

View attachment 23535

View attachment 23536

View attachment 23537
Couple I forgot to put on.

6448F425-13DB-42E4-8B59-D4D832E25877.jpeg

A0029548-4ACD-41A1-A8E8-815AB6EBE9D1.jpeg

View attachment 23534

View attachment 23535

View attachment 23536

View attachment 23537
You’ll have to explain to @Fish how those awning lights fit into the Fiamma rail, since he took a mallet to his on the Sunday at Bala. It was worth me travelling the two hours to see them all, just to watch him in action.
“It just has to fit”;). Even his 15 year old lad was taking the p*^s. We were in stitches as he then had to unbolt the end plate of the Fiamma with the aid of @BiTurbo to get the subsequently knackered light unit out.
Happy Days.

You’ll have to explain to @Fish how those awning lights fit into the Fiamma rail, since he took a mallet to his on the Sunday at Bala. It was worth me travelling the two hours to see them all, just to watch him in action.
“It just has to fit”;). Even his 15 year old lad was taking the p*^s. We were in stitches as he then had to unbolt the end plate of the Fiamma with the aid of @BiTurbo to get the subsequently knackered light unit out.
Happy Days.

Oh here he is again, old 'Stretch!'.

I know they go there! I just wanted them somewhere else.. ;)

Back