Black trapezoid side bars with led puddle lights

Could the stainless bars be wrapped rather than powder coated?
I find the leading edges of mine get that shot blasted look from what the front wheels flick into them. I’d be worried about knackering the wrap. Might not take so much punishment with the front mud flaps on.

I've not had a good experiences with suspension components that have been powder coated and peppered by road debris. Once there's a pin p r i c k hole...............

A little update on these. The salt on the roads has killed the lights, they have both failed at the first set of soldered joints in the tape, despite them being IP65 rated. Not helped by the fact that the courtesy lights are constantly live and the earth is switched. I’ve had my own little electrolysis party going on under the van :rofl: I’ll be replacing the led strips but this time encasing them from end to end in clear heat shrink tube :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Bars are back from the powder coating for the second time. I’ve added an L shape plastic strip to the side of the led’s to hide them. If you look at the van from a distance you could see the individual leds along the bottom of the side bar. Then I’ve put the lot inside some heat shrink tubing and sealed each end with hot glue. Let’s see how long these last :cry::cry:

B8ADBF2A-E7E3-4793-8B62-27CF090E1C7D.jpeg

043B1EB9-7B74-4A17-B25D-7A7AE42A0859.jpeg

After a little mini meet with @Deaky this afternoon I must admit these sidebars are really impressive. I left full of jealousy for these and some door cards mentioned in another thread. These are on my to do list. :thumbsup:

As nice as those door cards look I just can’t justify £1k+ to do it, not with my future plans!!!!!!!!

i missed this thread somehow :oops:

Great work @Deaky as always and a great engineering solution regarding the water ingress and clear tube idea, also love the "L" light shield to stop the light bleed.

#TopBannana :)

i think its time this year to get my LED Urge itched.

:devil: So my puddle lights died again :thumbsdown:. Turns out the scraping noise I hear every time I exit my drive is the lights dragging across the pavement :eek:

watch this space for MKlll:whistle:

Back