Black trapezoid side bars with led puddle lights

Deaky

Life’s too short to drink shite beer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
After being messed around by the dealers I cancelled my order and sorted them myself. Marked the bars where I wanted the led strips to run. I’ve used 5630 SMD waterproof led strip in red. 5630 is the biggest and brightest led chip available on a 10mm strip.
EF7DDCA3-01EA-46FA-9F0E-F689241BDB8D.jpeg

I’ve drilled the bars at both ends for the led tape to go through meaning I can make all the electrical connections inside the bar.
1103C881-9DDE-498E-9DA0-41984CF5D015.jpeg

I’m fixing the leds to the bars with genuine 3M automotive tape and as a precaution I’m putting 4 cable ties along the strips through a couple of grommets. After drilling all the holes and dry fitting the strip I sent the bars to be powder coated.

86DF1EDC-AE45-43C1-B67E-7B89A5CB67DF.jpeg

I’ve connected a waterproof connector to the strip ready to make a loom to attach to the van then stuck the strips to the 3M tape, tucked the ends into the bars and cable tied it in place..

EC9597AF-24DC-4ABD-8189-F051102B5697.jpeg

CABF8373-6F80-4CA3-856D-C1718FF01371.jpeg

Watch this space, fitting them tomorrow.

Some talented guys on this forum, looking forward to seeing the results, get ready for an influx of orders :thumbsdown:

I wish I could do sh*t like this! Well done mate.....looking forward to seeing it in action!! I suppose in theory, this would be possible to do with tubular bars......maybe wouldn't stick too well with the radius though?:thumbsup:

I do like the trapezoid side bars @Deaky . Where did you source yours from?
Sikaflex would be another option to secure the LED strips.

Fitting. Jack up one side of the van and remove both wheels. Remove the under tray from the front and rear, the middle one can stay where it is. The big round star washers screw off :rolleyes:. Along the sill of the van there are a few black grommets. Remove the first and last two and slip the supplied t bolts inside. Don’t bother with the little clip things, they’re useless and keep falling off. Lay the bar by the side of the van, the bracket that’s furthest away from the end of the bar goes to the front of the van. Loosely bolt the strap brackets to the bar, the shortest one goes to the back with its long side facing the rear, the longer strap bracket goes to the front, with its long side to the front. There’s only a centimetre difference between each side. On this bracket.

Lay the bar under the van and slip one end over a bolt and loosely do the nut up. Then lift the bar up and attach the other end, then fit the remaining nuts. Loosely tighten everything up. Measure the space between the ends of the bar and the wheel arch. They should be the same. Adjust if required then tighten everything up.

F1DCC3D3-71ED-4C20-BE04-0B09181BF95F.jpeg

The cable from the drivers side will run over the to of the exhaust heat shield and up to the adblue tank if you have one or if not then I guess the fuel tank will be bigger. Underneath the passenger seat is a grommet that comes out just above this tank, pass the wire through this grommet. Fit the other bar on the other side and pass the cable through the same grommet. There are plenty of other wires and pipes to secure the cables to.

4D9CD8EC-EC73-4830-8F25-EA42F49F8790.jpeg

Trim the under trays to miss the brackets. They’re easy to cut. I used a dremmel but a jigsaw would work ok. Put the wheels back on and lower down. The bars are finished
EEA43366-A4FD-42C4-AE0C-4A16ED450F80.jpeg

3F7E3ECC-2FAA-4A5C-8506-18AAFE01D13B.jpeg

20FFF899-09C4-4384-A9D7-DF018F6E4CE0.jpeg

To connect up the leds, remove the passenger seat, seat base and the lower plastic trim from the passenger B post. You’ll see a connector here for the step light. Splice the leds to here. I’ve added a small switch th the b pillar so I can turn off the leds if I want to. If you don’t have a step light then run the cable under the carpet to the toffee colour connector under the glove box. This has the red/black and brown/red cables that you need to connect to..

5D8946C6-3B38-46A5-98AA-4B4088417E55.jpeg

BAC46E1C-C374-457B-B6E6-12BE28EA8094.jpeg

FFBC2930-6D84-48C1-B8DA-6FFF7014CD51.jpeg

20A1E4D0-95B3-42E1-9ACA-B44334FB43E6.jpeg

I do like the trapezoid side bars @Deaky . Where did you source yours from?
Sikaflex would be another option to secure the LED strips.

Got them off the dealers with a good discount because of all the hassle I’ve had. Only available in chrome at the moment so I’ve had them powder coated satin black.

I've got genuine sportline chrome with LED's. really fancied powder coating them black... after seeing yours I definitely will, they look great :thumbsup:

Nice to have a follower of the strip light brigade...

My side step LEDs that were the source of the original idea, are red and mounted underneath the side steps, not able to be seen by anybody directly, even from a low angle and at distance (only if I've parked on top of them...). Even from the opposite side of the vehicle, due to the construction of the step giving a very healthy all around recess of 60mm.

They also only come on with the door opening, and the light is put on the ground, directly underneath the step, as they are pointed straight down, and doesn't travel out further than the door mirror from the vehicle, with a gradual fade. They go out with the door closing, and are wired to the step lights.

My thoughts are that VW have done the same, but smaller puddles with their white side bar led puddle lights. Neither mine nor VW are used in motion, unless a door comes open during motion.

I have specific reasons to warn approaching motorists that a door is open, and give light to exit by, but don't think that white light on the side would be a good idea, but a red glow serves as a warning, as the interior lights do not show well from behind with the sliding door open.

Interested for your thoughts @Thogg I have reposted a pic of my step lights with the doors on the latch, so open, but no light from the interior showing. I would suggest that this is a better option for @PukkaT6 even if pink is used rather than having them on in motion.

View attachment 10304

Maybe "strip light brigade" was the wrong or right term for the red lights, but then "red light brigade" could also have the same connotations? :rofl::whistle::whistle::sleep::sleep:

Could the stainless bars be wrapped rather than powder coated?

Back