Bilstein B14 rear springs snapped.....Again!!

I’m surprised you are having an issue with Bilstein and their warranty. It’s second to none and. 2 years . We are one of their biggest independent customers in the UK and happy to help with any issues. Arron, the UK manager is a great guy and alway happy to assist where possible . I also know Steve at Vanstyle - he’s a good guy and I’m sure he will sort this.

Last edited:
The original blue B14 used a H&R spring. That was the issue. The B14 Komfort uses a far superior Eibach spring. Eibach are the manufacturers VW use and recommend.

I've only ever had failed B14 dampers when fitted incorrectly (which is very very common) Travel nut used instead of the OEM top nut, no dust covers and no bump stops are all common incorrect installations. If installed correctly, Bilstein 100% off 2 years warranty.

Speak to your local Solow trained installer, they'll be more than happy to help.

The original blue B14 used a H&R spring. That was the issue. The B14 Komfort uses a far superior Eibach spring. Eibach are the manufacturers VW use and recommend.

I've only ever had failed B14 dampers when fitted incorrectly (which is very very common) Travel nut used instead of the OEM top nut, no dust covers and no bump stops are all common incorrect installations. If installed correctly, Bilstein 100% off 2 years warranty.

Speak to your local Solow trained installer, they'll be more than happy to help.

I did confirm this with H&R because the H&R kit we sell has absolutely no issues with the rear springs at all ! H&R did say that the B14 rear spring was made by them to a customers design not theirs . They also confirmed they didnt agree with the design particularly in heavier vans as it couldnt take load . Something that should have been communicated to all the fitment centres in my opinion .

Agreed, the original H+R spring is definitely floored. Thankfully the Eibach version doesn't have this issue at all. I'm no H&R hater, we do use H&R springs on 1 of our coilover kits. It suited that particular height coilover over the Eibach submission.

As for being communicated to the fitment centres, there was no way of knowing this until years down the line when they started to fail under continuous load. Yes we hear about it a lot but thats because it was THE most popular suspension by a country mile 10 years ago when it came out. There are tens of thousands out there on original yellow B14's. Lets be clear, they don't all suffer with the rear springs breaking. I know of several vehicles that are 7 years old plus, on B14's still running original springs. I've also seen genuine VW springs break after 18 months.

What we do in this country is like no other country. Generally vans are build for infrequent load. Carrying parcels, plaster board, gas boilers, painting and decorating equipment etc during the day. All different loads for varying periods of time. What we do here is build a heavy 3 ton camper van sitting as a permanent load on those springs. They then sit unused on our drives for days, weeks, months etc. They are going to be under so much constant stress.

When building the Solow range, we factored all this in. You will never have something for everyone of every vehicle weight and every height, but I believe we've covered 90% of the panel van to full camper market. That along with training installers throughout the country to install it right. Not only does this mean we no longer have people waiting 6 months for us to do the install here, they also don't have to travel more than an hour to get it done right. Installation error accounts for 85% plus of warranty claims. I had an actual VW dealer 3 weeks ago that hadn't installed dust covers, or bump stops and used the travel nut instead of the OEM top nut. It blow's my mind this still happens. This is why we can confidently give all our products a 2 year warranty, when installed by one of the Solow approved installer network throughout the country.

Hi Guys,
Good news, vanstyle the providers have stated that it is still under warranty. replacement part on route.

i really appreciate all your views, the initial shock of it was terrible, but am so glad its now sorted. lopts of to and frowing of emails but all is good.

Cheers Bilstein UK for your advice etc.
Cheers Steve at Vanstyle
Cheers Tom at Autotech in Salisbury, the best garage in Wiltshire(and I,ve know a few)(10 points if you can name the film).

I've also seen genuine VW springs break after 18 months.
My original VW rear springs broke. I weighed the van on a public weighbridge thinking maybe we overloaded it - nowhere near. I have a couple of hundred kg ‘spare’. Just shockingly poor roads in the UK I guess.

On the golf we have the DCC shocks - awesome but always start misting after 18 months. VW don’t care despite the two year warranty. They also blame the roads :rolleyes:.

And the rear tyres sawtoothing… a characteristic of the vehicle apparently.

Maybe VW are just mediocre at suspension deign in general?

Thought I'd weight in on this.
My T6 now has 112000miles on it.
I had Bilstein B14 fitted when the van had delivery miles on it.

In those miles I have had new shocks all around at some point from them leaking.
Both front springs have snapped and been replaced.

Now the rears....well I'm currently on my 4th pair and yesterday another just snapped so I'll be on my 5th set. Less that 16k miles on this spring when I changed it.

Luckily they are easy to change.

Not sure what's more unreliable, the van itself or Bilstein B14.

Side note, t28 chassis with constant 400kg of load inc myself. Arguably spirited driving sometimes...because race van.

Was hoping nothing else would go wrong with the van until my new one comes in the summer.

Won’t be putting B14’s on the new bus then? ;)

That’s a crazy number of springs, my B14’s did 40,000 over 5 years and no busted springs?!

I’m going VB Comfort air this time around, but did like the Koni shocks from CRS/Van Cave.

Won’t be putting B14’s on the new bus then? ;)

That’s a crazy number of springs, my B14’s did 40,000 over 5 years and no busted springs?!

I’m going VB Comfort air this time around, but did like the Koni shocks from CRS/Van Cave.
V B Air do buy KONI shocks but i dont think they are an option on the Transporter , this would be a winner if they did, I think Alcon make the shocks for them on the transporter kit . Ask them if there is a choice ?

In those miles I have had new shocks all around at some point from them leaking.

Now the rears....well I'm currently on my 4th pair and yesterday another just snapped so I'll be on my 5th set. Less that 16k miles on this spring when I changed it.

Side note, t28 chassis with constant 400kg of load inc myself. Arguably spirited driving sometimes...because race van.

Was hoping nothing else would go wrong with the van until my new one comes in the summer.
Just when you thought ??

V B Air do buy KONI shocks but i dont think they are an option on the Transporter , this would be a winner if they did, I think Alcon make the shocks for them on the transporter kit . Ask them if there is a choice ?

Just when you thought ??
I don’t think I have an option to choose shocks, but Van Haven said they’ve fitted many sets of VB without a single warranty claim.

Let’s hope I haven’t wasted £7k on VB and then come running with my tail between my legs to you and Chris :D

Longevity is something rarely spoken about when selling suspension kits , manufacturers are constantly bring out new kits to overcome problems with previous versions .
One of the things we pride our selves on is the reliability and longevity of all the products we supply . 6 years in and thousands of vans completed . A handful of genuine problems which are sorted no quibble or argument. This must be a factor to consider when buying expensive suspension components !
It wont hurt to chat to us about your new van when it arrives , maybe we can restore faith ha ha

I don’t think I have an option to choose shocks, but Van Haven said they’ve fitted many sets of VB without a single warranty claim.

Let’s hope I haven’t wasted £7k on VB and then come running with my tail between my legs to you and Chris :D
I was down there a short while ago and they claimed to be having issues with the other air kit that they do , seems they do prefer the VB system as its more reliable , More expensive of course but i dont think this will bother Van Haven clients ha ha . .
We are researching air systems at the moment, Will we, wont we ?? , i am not sure at this stage. We have tripled the capacity of our workshop so we could spend the time on air installs with out disrupting our normal stuff .

Hello,

You should look at the B14 Komfort springs. They are made by Eibach as appose to the H&R version on the old yellow B14 kit. They are a much stronger, better spring. I've never heard of any snapped B14 Komfort springs.

I was down there a short while ago and they claimed to be having issues with the other air kit that they do , seems they do prefer the VB system as its more reliable , More expensive of course but i dont think this will bother Van Haven clients ha ha . .
We are researching air systems at the moment, Will we, wont we ?? , i am not sure at this stage. We have tripled the capacity of our workshop so we could spend the time on air installs with out disrupting our normal stuff .
They did mention you and they were complimentary about you too! I told them all about my legendary B14 reliability and it’s now standard fit across their whole range ;)

Many people want air, they just fear it when things go wrong, which is probably due to bad fitting, I bet that wouldn’t be an issue for you/your guys.

New van is the MRST Transit EV. As soon as coilovers are developed for it I'll slam it. I'd go with B14 again, i like the ride. It's superb just unreliable.
However if I was to keep the T6 (I won't, hate the thing) I'd go with the Bilstein CUMforts.

Hello,

You should look at the B14 Komfort springs. They are made by Eibach as appose to the H&R version on the old yellow B14 kit. They are a much stronger, better spring. I've never heard of any snapped B14 Komfort springs.
I’ve got one sitting in the garage :rolleyes:

Want a picture?

New van is the MRST Transit EV. As soon as coilovers are developed for it I'll slam it. I'd go with B14 again, i like the ride. It's superb just unreliable.
However if I was to keep the T6 (I won't, hate the thing) I'd go with the Bilstein CUMforts.
Bilstein already have the suspension in development for the new transit. It’s not far away from my conversations with them the other day.

Back