Bilstein B14 rear springs snapped.....Again!!

Well I wasn’t the one ‘knocking’ them, 100’s of vans, if not 1000’s have them fitted and they are still a good option for an off the shelf solution.
I ran them for several thousand miles myself without any complaints, my first post was a little bit tongue in cheek.

The rear spring issue is one that is well known though, it’s something that comes up fairly often and should be easily resolvable.

These days there are better options available which also happen to be cheaper, but I’m not going to continue that conversation here.

My last post to the OP remains relevant.

Drop me a call on Monday and we can have a chat, I should be able to sort this no problem.
Hi Oli thanks for the reply- will call tommorrow (thumbs up!)
Thanks everyone for the comments, ill keep the thread updated, not sure what 'coil bound' means but if it means that the lower coil gets stuck in the upper coil under load (from a pothole or vicious speed bump) - may need to search or google that meaning! thanks people!

Hi Oli thanks for the reply- will call tommorrow (thumbs up!)
Thanks everyone for the comments, ill keep the thread updated, not sure what 'coil bound' means but if it means that the lower coil gets stuck in the upper coil under load (from a pothole or vicious speed bump) - may need to search or google that meaning! thanks people!
Coil bound means individual parts of the coil are touching each other as it is over compressed, therefore reducing the spring action and causing shock loading.
I questioned this a while back on another thread and was told it was normal, as an engineer it seems abnormal and likely to cause stress.
My take on the whole ‘lowering’ trend is that the running gear is being compromised, if there is less suspension travel available there is less shock absorbing through the spring and more shock being transmitted through suspension arms, bushes and sub frame.

Because if they were fitted correctly then why should the fitter be paying for fitting them again?

That’s great that you are offering to cover all costs, I’m sure your customers will love that level of service :cool:

As a customer I would expect the fitter (if Bilstein aprroved) to handle the entire process. I would not be reposnible for relationship between the outlet and the manufacturer and my contract of sale would be with the outlet not Bilstein. Thats what separates the good companies from the bad, no manufacturer of any products has no failures, it's how you manage them that separates the good from bad.

I say this as someone who manages a global network of outlets for an Aero Manufacturer, if our customers use one of our partners we sort it with the partner unless it's customer damage. Most of the time we cover it, sometimes the partner if it's something out of our control and in theirs, but it's down to how the manufacturer manages the relationship with their partners and who they select. We select ours on technical capability and trust thier judgement (audited peridoically to make sure were all on the same page).

The end user experince is key, that's what get the reputation, repeat business and growth through word of mouth.

Coil bound means individual parts of the coil are touching each other as it is over compressed, therefore reducing the spring action and causing shock loading.
I questioned this a while back on another thread and was told it was normal, as an engineer it seems abnormal and likely to cause stress.
My take on the whole ‘lowering’ trend is that the running gear is being compromised, if there is less suspension travel available there is less shock absorbing through the spring and more shock being transmitted through suspension arms, bushes and sub frame.

100% agree with you on the coil bound issue, also as a mechanical engineer, it is terrible.
Although i can't agree with your comment on the lowering trend. A suitably designed spring will support the weight required without becoming coil bound. A suitably designed paired shock to work with that spring will dampen the bounce within the range the newly lowered suspension will work in, but it is still within the original range of the OEM spec (i.e. a fully loaded van will likely run at the lowered height, or less).

I did some reading and did not go with B14's.

100% agree with you on the coil bound issue, also as a mechanical engineer, it is terrible.
Although i can't agree with your comment on the lowering trend. A suitably designed spring will support the weight required without becoming coil bound. A suitably designed paired shock to work with that spring will dampen the bounce within the range the newly lowered suspension will work in, but it is still within the original range of the OEM spec (i.e. a fully loaded van will likely run at the lowered height, or less).

I did some reading and did not go with B14's.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.
To lower a van with the original suspension mounting points the spring will need to be shorter than the original.
If there is less effective spring length the spring is required to be stiffer to absorb the same shock without becoming coil bound.
The stiffer spring will therefore react later than the original spring resulting in more load being transferred through the bushings, suspension arms, subframe etc.
All of this is regardless of the damper which I agree is important but does mitigate a stiff spring.

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.
To lower a van with the original suspension mounting points the spring will need to be shorter than the original.
If there is less effective spring length the spring is required to be stiffer to absorb the same shock without becoming coil bound.
The stiffer spring will therefore react later than the original spring resulting in more load being transferred through the bushings, suspension arms, subframe etc.
All of this is regardless of the damper which I agree is important but does mitigate a stiff spring.
I can see your point, and would agree in extreme circumstances, but we each make our choices based on personal needs.
For me, I have modest lowering (~65mm) and never intend to load the van to its max, therefore should never exceed the vans arm swing, loading or bush stresses that would be seen by a fully loaded van. But we are getting way off topic here.

As a customer I would expect the fitter (if Bilstein aprroved) to handle the entire process. I would not be reposnible for relationship between the outlet and the manufacturer and my contract of sale would be with the outlet not Bilstein. Thats what separates the good companies from the bad, no manufacturer of any products has no failures, it's how you manage them that separates the good from bad.

I say this as someone who manages a global network of outlets for an Aero Manufacturer, if our customers use one of our partners we sort it with the partner unless it's customer damage. Most of the time we cover it, sometimes the partner if it's something out of our control and in theirs, but it's down to how the manufacturer manages the relationship with their partners and who they select. We select ours on technical capability and trust thier judgement (audited peridoically to make sure were all on the same page).

The end user experince is key, that's what get the reputation, repeat business and growth through word of mouth.

Totally agree, it my bad that I didnt contact the installer immediately. My original post was to ask if anyone had the same experience of this with B14's and also to ask if I can put another brand of rear springs utilising the B14 dampers - really to cut down time it spent in getting sorted

Thanks to Oli from Bognor motors, I have now contacted the original suppliers/installers and they are going to contact Bilstien with regard to a warranty replacement

Totally agree, it my bad that I didnt contact the installer immediately. My original post was to ask if anyone had the same experience of this with B14's and also to ask if I can put another brand of rear springs utilising the B14 dampers - really to cut down time it spent in getting sorted

Thanks to Oli from Bognor motors, I have now contacted the original suppliers/installers and they are going to contact Bilstien with regard to a warranty replacement
Nice one Oli @BognorMotors

Good news, let’s hope you get the right answer eventually and replacement spring fitted with no cost to you.

Following with interest as I bought a van with B14s already fitted...

We have swapped out a few rear B14 springs to a more stable and reliable spring , sadly it means changing the adjustable spring perch as they arent compatible with each other , Its costly to do sadly because of the perch but a huge improvement ,

I have the coil bound problem with my B14 komforts and some knocking from the rear at times.I have a T6_28 2021 campervan.I did contact the supplier and they said it was normal for the springs to be coil bound and the plastic coating round the coils was to stop the twanging. Also they said they fit the same rear spring to the t 32. Because I have spent so much money on the suspension I am hopping it dose not end in tears and keeping my fingers crossed, when I make my first trip away in the camper.

I have the coil bound problem with my B14 komforts and some knocking from the rear at times.I have a T6_28 2021 campervan.I did contact the supplier and they said it was normal for the springs to be coil bound and the plastic coating round the coils was to stop the twanging. Also they said they fit the same rear spring to the t 32. Because I have spent so much money on the suspension I am hopping it dose not end in tears and keeping my fingers crossed, when I make my first trip away in the camper.
The noise isn't the spring in my opinion , If you give me a call ill explain the problem . I have removed enough of these kits now to know what goes wrong ?

The springs on the B14Komforts are made by Eibach, and are designed as you’ve said with the plastic coating.
I’m not fully understanding your issue- as a Bilstein dealer probably best give us a call or your local dealer and we can help understand the issue and resolve. We haven’t had any issues with the Komforts.

HTH

Back