Bilstein B14 rear springs snapped.....Again!!

I removed a brand new set of B14s a few months ago , it was set at its highest and the van was 80 mm lower .

Fitted and supplied by one of the top Bilstein companies the client who asked for 60 mm drop was simply told that the 80 mm was normal ( 40 to 70 mm on the tin apparently ) and that is how they are set up .
The issue with the rear springs is that the Kit is ok in lighter van , BUT in a heavy van not fit for purpose as the rear springs simply cant carry the high weights . ( with out load ) This will never be acceptable in a T 32 as the load capacity is drastically diminished as well . Everyone worries about Load rated wheels and tyres and then incompetent fitment centres put suspension that is completely wrong ? !

The fitter should have accepted this and removed the kit because when the rear springs are stressed like this they break over time . This van was brand new and the kit was brand new so there was no damage just shocking ride as you would expect at 80 mm ( with any kit not just B14 )

The manufacturer of the spring wont make a difference ,BUT the design of the spring is critical and the failing rear springs could and in all probability were made by a reputable company. If the design is right any manufacturer could make them and they will work .

The springs on the new Komfort are stronger there is no doubt because i have seen comments from clients saying they don't go as low as the B14 originals ( although the spec is the same 40 to 70 mm ) , Of course the original B14 shouldn't have gone lower than 70 mm if the the springs had been better , But it proves the theory that there was an improvement in spring rates on the newer kit . The issue on the rear has nothing to do with the spring as i said, .

Based on the above I better change my B14’s as soon as possible then? My T32 tows a 2000kg caravan, plus all the associated camping gear in the back of the van.

Or, maybe there’s a bit of scaremongering going on in order to drum up trade?

I’ve had zero snapped springs, zero broken shocks, zero knocking and my B14’s are over 3 years old.

Ticking time bomb huh?

I had B14s on my T32 and and them for circa 23k miles without any issues.
I now have a H&R set up fitted by CRS.
In many respects it's a better set up than the B14s but in one respect it's worse, and that's the secondary ride. Initially I thought they were about the same but now I'm starting to use the van I realise they are not. The B14s always felt quite settled at the cruise, say on the motorway. The current H&Rs are very unsettled in terms of secondary ride in comparison.
I am not saying that I am unhappy with them - but it is one thing to bear in mind. They are a 'stiff' set up and this is reflected in the ride quality.

I had B14s on my T32 and and them for circa 23k miles without any issues.
I now have a H&R set up fitted by CRS.
In many respects it's a better set up than the B14s but in one respect it's worse, and that's the secondary ride. Initially I thought they were about the same but now I'm starting to use the van I realise they are not. The B14s always felt quite settled at the cruise, say on the motorway. The current H&Rs are very unsettled in terms of secondary ride in comparison.
I am not saying that I am unhappy with them - but it is one thing to bear in mind. They are a 'stiff' set up and this is reflected in the ride quality.

What you are feeling is the different spring rates The H&R kit is TUV approved and can carry the weight that the van was designed to, the B14 springs were too soft ( hence why they do break ) and that is the difference you are feeling . An example :- Every T32 fitted with a B 14 kit can never carry the load that a T 32 is designed to carry , the rear springs aren't strong enough , Everyone worries about Load rated tyres and wheels BUT never thinks about the springs . ?????
There isn't an ideal solution to this problem if the spring is fit for purpose its too hard for a light or empty van and visa versa . It will need to carry the load rated amount to get T U V approval , B14 doesn't have T UV certification because its sold in UK doesn't need it .

Based on the above I better change my B14’s as soon as possible then? My T32 tows a 2000kg caravan, plus all the associated camping gear in the back of the van.

Or, maybe there’s a bit of scaremongering going on in order to drum up trade?

I’ve had zero snapped springs, zero broken shocks, zero knocking and my B14’s are over 3 years old.

Ticking time bomb huh?
Most of the clients with B 14 problems get sorted out free of charge at mine , Hardly drumming up trade ?? . If a client decides to change that is a result of the service we offered for Free . not me trashing the product .

apart from the new B14 kit we removed for a client recently ( and sold for him ) every B 14 kit that we see has a spring problem . I don't bang on about it on here there is more than enough talk about the spring problems already . What i can say is the B14 rear spring on a T32 would never get TUV approval and it is as big a concern as load rated tyres and wheels , .

This is important for Potential Coil over clients to remember , All TUV approved kits will have spring rates strong enough to carry the vans designed weight . Non TUV approved product doesn't necessarily have to. Softer springs can be fitted and this makes the ride less harsh. Sadly the weight carrying capacity is seriously affected .

There are literally 100’s of sets of B14’s out there, maybe even 1000’s, there is bound to be a higher failure rate due to the sheer quantity sold, plus plenty of cowboys who have fitted them incorrectly.

B14’s are TUV approved as far as I can see on their website.

I except that you’re very knowledgeable on the subject, but I also think you have an axe to grind due to offering alternative products.

There are literally 100’s of sets of B14’s out there, maybe even 1000’s, there is bound to be a higher failure rate due to the sheer quantity sold, plus plenty of cowboys who have fitted them incorrectly.

B14’s are TUV approved as far as I can see on their website.

I except that you’re very knowledgeable on the subject, but I also think you have an axe to grind due to offering alternative products.
I think you've just hit the nail right on the head there.
Steve at CRS has a wealth of "all things suspension" knowledge & I think his reputation & professionalism speaks for itself
I certainly believe there is no axe to grind.......just valuable advice that is worth its weight in gold ........to likes of me anyway

I can’t understand why some of these suspension sets are so expensive?
A few years back I was regularly purchasing hydraulic cylinders and dampers for industrial use, then again they weren’t painted fancy colours and I never got a windscreen sticker.

I think you've just hit the nail right on the head there.
Steve at CRS has a wealth of "all things suspension" knowledge & I think his reputation & professionalism speaks for itself
I certainly believe there is no axe to grind.......just valuable advice that is worth its weight in gold ........to likes of me anyway
The Bilstein B14 range is definitely TUV approved by Bilstein in Germany, they simply couldn't sell them if they weren't . The problem you have in UK the B14 for a transporter isnt a Bilstein product , Its made by a third party company and they don't seem to be able to produce a TUV certificate for the Transporter kit , This is deceiving and misleading and i am amazed that Bilstein dont do something about this , Take a look on the Bilstein world web site , they only list a proper B 14 for the Caravelle with electronic dampers and the kit looks very different to the kit people buy in UK .It is a proper plated finish threaded body coil over not a sleeve over modified damper. Check their web site to see ,

The problem you have in UK the B14 for a transporter isnt a Bilstein product , Its made by a third party company and they don't seem to be able to produce a TUV certificate for the Transporter kit , This is deceiving and misleading
I’ve always thought this as if you look this up on the official web pages it’s not listed for our vans. People also bang on about Eibach making the springs. If they don’t endorse them then that doesn’t mean anything. They would just make them for a third party to the third party design.
Im no suspension guru, but I am a mechanical engineer. Would I ever design a spring that was coil bound in use? Not a chance! It is piss poor design and massively reduces the effectiveness.

The Bilstein B14 range is definitely TUV approved by Bilstein in Germany, they simply couldn't sell them if they weren't . The problem you have in UK the B14 for a transporter isnt a Bilstein product , Its made by a third party company and they don't seem to be able to produce a TUV certificate for the Transporter kit , This is deceiving and misleading and i am amazed that Bilstein dont do something about this , Take a look on the Bilstein world web site , they only list a proper B 14 for the Caravelle with electronic dampers and the kit looks very different to the kit people buy in UK .It is a proper plated finish threaded body coil over not a sleeve over modified damper. Check their web site to see ,

Interesting post, I’d be interested to hear from the manufacturer on this.

I’ve always thought this as if you look this up on the official web pages it’s not listed for our vans. People also bang on about Eibach making the springs. If they don’t endorse them then that doesn’t mean anything. They would just make them for a third party to the third party design.
Im no suspension guru, but I am a mechanical engineer. Would I ever design a spring that was coil bound in use? Not a chance! It is piss poor design and massively reduces the effectiveness.

They aren’t coil bound when fitted correctly. The set that were coil bound on here, not on this thread, weren’t fitted correctly.

Its only the bottom 3 coils that go coil bound and they were designed like that so they must be !! Customer Picture supplied to me . brand new installation as you can see . Fit for purpose ??

7E1A2460-A71E-4C61-A6B9-C81C01FBF964.png

IMG_2028.JPG

They aren’t coil bound when fitted correctly. The set that were coil bound on here, not on this thread, weren’t fitted correctly.
I'm really not sure how that works. Force is applied at either end of the spring and the spring reacts that force. It should be in a linear and even way based on fixed mountings. MTB's introduce the progressive nature by levers and pivots, and/or air springs.
I have seen a few pics of the coil bound nature of B14's, and heard too many stories about snapping. I appreciate there are 1000's in the market place as they filled an early niche.
I'm not knocking them, but these were just a couple of points that made me look elsewhere for my suspension solution.

I believe that to be a H&R product, and exactly how a coil spring should look on the rear of any trailing arm designed vehicle.

@CRS Performance it would be interesting to see that lower spring (H&R?) on the ground with weight on it to properly compare.

Our van is a full camper T30 on B14s which have been on around 3 years. They are coilbound as per first picture but still give an ok ride (in my opinion based on how low it is on 20s.)

Now with the huge amount of coil over setups available from 2-3years ago would I go B14s again? Probably not but that’s just how technology moves on there’s always something better round the corner I suppose.

@CRS Performance it would be interesting to see that lower spring (H&R?) on the ground with weight on it to properly compare.

Our van is a full camper T30 on B14s which have been on around 3 years. They are coilbound as per first picture but still give an ok ride (in my opinion based on how low it is on 20s.)

Now with the huge amount of coil over setups available from 2-3years ago would I go B14s again? Probably not but that’s just how technology moves on there’s always something better round the corner I suppose.
Mine. LWB on the floor, no weight in it.
53B8AB7E-0924-43A4-9E87-A3D2573B5F0D.jpeg

Thanks for that . i was going to dig a few pictures out as well , BUT it makes sense that if the coils are almost touching off the ground they will definitely

touch once down on the ground . If there are equal spaces off the ground on the H&R springs , they will still have spaces when on the ground Common sense !!

Here is the B14 off the ground if this helps to compare to the H&R ??

IMG_2298.JPG

Unless you happen to have very short legs I’m struggling to find a good reason to lower a Transporter :uh run:

Unless you happen to have very short legs I’m struggling to find a good reason to lower a Transporter :uh run:

In general terms nowadays most vehicles are low enough , BUT the transporter was designed as a van ( commercial use ) and to carry the loads it can , it needs lots of travel on the shocks and strong springs particularly in the rear , This is why it has a high stance and rides poor with no weight in it , Most people use Transporters for recreation and daily commute ( not as a Van) so there is always going to be a need to lower them , Lowering a lot is not good for the vehicle or your Kidneys and we leave that aspect of the business to companies who are happy to make the van a Bouncy uncomfortable show peace .
We only do subtle drops and comfort is our priority , this means keeping tabs on the lowering amount . 40 to 65 mm seems to be an acceptable height with great comfort results . Car is more pleasing to look at < more comfortable , better handling and stability , less body roll and pitch , Improved braking and generally all round better .

Back