Bi Xenon Or Led Projector Retrofit

Discussion in 'Electrics, Lighting, ICE, Security' started by Blk33, 18 Aug 2018.

1. Blk33

Blk33 New Member

Can anyone tell me what the type of headlight sealing that is used for the T6 Transporter H4 globes (image attached). Butyl rubber or Permaseal? I believe the butyl is easier to open.

I would like to open the headlights up and fit either the Morimoto Mini Bi Xenon DS2 projector or the new led projectors that look very good.

HID & LED projectors : Bi-LED: Morimoto M LED RHD

Rob

IMG_1694.JPG

2. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    I don’t know the term/answer but I have had a chat with a company that do this and was told there are two ways the headlights can be sealed and the T6 uses the type that is more difficult to separate ?

3. In a state

In a state I like a good length in a Van... VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    I used these guys on my old T5 and they did a great job. Cost was around £300 for an LED BiXenon conversion. I was very happy.

https://www.customheadlights.co.uk

T6 example shown below with projectors/drl's fitted.

72c6bd_9fc9b23e711a4339bb4e3734fae009e9~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpg

72c6bd_a68ae785bd664a9a8661a6c086cf38e8~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpg

ddktm and GARY Doe like this.
  4. t0mb0

t0mb0 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

I didn’t know you could get options like that. What’s the situation with the latest MOT rules?

5. Beejay

Beejay Member

Map
    I did hear/read that the MOT will be paying more attention to headlight output as apparently there are too many reported cases of dazzling by DIY conversions.
    Similar to the tightening up of Cat and EGR removals.
    Zenon and LED headlights require auto levelling and washers.

6. Ads_Essex

Ads_Essex Local lowlife VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    I thought LEDs didn’t need washers?

7. In a state

Map
    I think the MOT rules are to catch the guys that just replace with those super bright and annoying ebay kits and just use the standard reflectors. Mine were fully retro fitted with LED projectors which worked with the manual level controls.

I think the MOT rules state where fitted, washers and levelers must work. I never had a problem with mine during last years MOT.

8. Beejay

Beejay Member

Map
    Main criteria seems to be that the light units must be type approved. A valid CE making.
    Auto levelling and washer systems would be in the 'owners risk' category if not fitted.
    There are LED headlights on the market that aren't as such, merely LED DRL's fitted with conventional dip and main beam bulbs.

In a state likes this.
  9. In a state

Map
  10. Deaky

Deaky On yer bike VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    I had BiXenon lights and levelling fitted on my old van. Didn’t have the washers though. It passed 3 MOTs without a problem.

11. andys

andys Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

They don't

12. Blk33

Blk33 New Member

Sounds like Permaseal. I was hoping it would be butyl!

13. Blk33

Blk33 New Member

I live in Australia. We don't have any authority like MOT checking our headlights!

14. Kwp0906

Kwp0906 Member T6 Pro

15. t6boy

t6boy New Member

16. Lukavell

Lukavell Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I'm not sure if the T5 used the same sealant as the T6 does, I can't imagine VW would have changed it. I opened up my 2003 Caravelle Headlights to paint the inside, non reflective parts black by putting the whole unit in the oven. This allowed the seal to become flexible, allowing me to carefully peel off the outer lens. I just reversed the process to put it all back together. It worked a treat and I never had any issues with leakage or looseness. I did however have the cash to buy a new set of lights if I cocked it up!

I can't remember what the temperature was but I just had a look at the old thread in another forum and apparently the info is out there in that forum and another. Anyway here is a pic:

2003_Velle.jpg

17. ddktm

ddktm Member T6 Pro

Map
  18. Ads_Essex

Ads_Essex Local lowlife VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    ddktm likes this.
  19. Kwp0906

Kwp0906 Member T6 Pro

Can anyone help me out with a contact number for em tuning? The only one I can see on the FB page doesn't connect

20. tifflepops

tifflepops Member

has anyone used these guys for a conversion yet?