Bi-Xenon or LED Projector retrofit

Projectors that I have used consume actual power of 35W and I did number of measurements and this value has been verified.
Another thing to note is that T6 OEM LED projectors are way less than 55W.
I will get it verified but I think they are around 35W, although low beam is definitely slightly more powerful comparing to high beam.
I didn't measure luminosity of my both LED retrofits (T6 & Passat) but the final results are very alike, at least in my subjective opinion.

And final obvious thing, H7 55W halogen bulb with reflector is miles away from 35W LED projector in terms of luminosity (lumens/lux).

Reactions: mmi
Indicator problem? whats up with it (p.s im looking at getting these so would be interested)

Both the DRL and indicators are really dim in daylight. They can look OK from certain angles, but many have reported the indicators to be hardly visible out on the road.

Both the DRL and indicators are really dim in daylight. They can look OK from certain angles, but many have reported the indicators to be hardly visible out on the road.
Yeah, this. Lots of reports of the indicators being too dim in the summer resulting in near-misses on roundabouts.

@Robert thanks, will take a punt

So, I've gone for these ones, with shrouds: 2.5‘’ Bi LED Projector Lens Angel Eyes Halo Rings Car LED Headlight Retrofit Kit 2.5‘’ Bi LED Projector Lens Angel Eyes Halo Rings Car LED Headlight Retrofit Kit | eBay

Plus, I've taken on punt on these for the high beam: Car LED High Beam Projector Lens Demon Devil Eyes DRL H1 H7 9005 9006 LED Lights Car LED High Beam Projector Lens Demon Devil Eyes DRL H1 H7 9005 9006 LED Lights | eBay
I don't want to use the DRL option on these, as I expect it will look pretty cheap, hence I didn't get angel eye shrouds for the projectors either. Will just upgrade the DRL bulb - I like to be subtle.

Additionally, I've taken a punt on these for my old H4 headlights: Bi-LED Projector Lens Car Headlight 1.5’’ H4 9003 Canbus Cooling Fan Retrofit Bi-LED Projector Lens Car Headlight 1.5’’ H4 9003 Canbus Cooling Fan Retrofit | eBay on the basis that someone on here would have them off me if they work, and I can then compare the two for others' benefit.

I might get hit for duty on that lot, I guess.

Finally, just finishing up with some LED bulbs for the other lights, and have ended up with a two winners Philips and Osram:

Philips from Amazon for my H7s:
Osram from ebay for my H4s:
Should be able to do some useful comparisons when they all arrive...

EDIT: I gave up on indicator bulbs as they are just not available on the main brands and they really don't make much difference...the ones I have are amber and people can see them already!

Last edited:
Projectors that I have used consume actual power of 35W and I did number of measurements and this value has been verified.
Another thing to note is that T6 OEM LED projectors are way less than 55W. I will get it verified by I think they are around 35W, although low beam is definitely slightly more powerful comparing to high beam.
I didn't measure luminosity of my both LED retrofits (T6 & Passat) but the final results are very alike, at least in my subjective opinion.

And final obvious thing, H7 55W halogen bulb with reflector is miles away from 35W LED projector in terms of luminosity (lumens/lux).
I am too lazy to verify OEM LEDs consumption in this weather but I found another useful post by @mmi !

My estimations above weren't too accurate so please see below.
OEM LED low beam - single one takes approximately 28.3W
OEM LED high beam only - single one takes approximately 20.3W

Total combined power for 2 OEM low beam LEDs is 56.6W and for 2 high beam LEDs together with 2 low beam LEDs is 97.2W
OEM H4 setup takes total of 110W for low beam & 120W for high beam.
OEM twin H7 setup takes total of 110W for low beam & 220W for combined low with high beam.

Conclusion. Not much actual power is required for the very powerful light output :thumbsup: !

Reactions: mmi
I got mine in the oven ok, but it didn't do any good. It softened the surrounding plastic which just buckled and distorted when I tried to get the cover off. Tried with a heat gun too and didn't get anywhere. That was an afternoon wasted and I've given up for now.

IMG_0076.JPG

They've arrived :)

First up, a test fit of the H4's. First problem, how to remove the existing bulbs...
PXL_20210128_182213850~2.jpg
Okay, wiggle off the connector. Push the clip towards the front of the van and unhook to the centre of the van.
PXL_20210128_183655255~2.jpg
Next, remove the guard that masks the front of the bulb. Turns out it's a torx 10:
PXL_20210128_184812643.jpg
Managed to use a long flexi attachment and the screw was only finger tight.
PXL_20210128_185636718.jpg
But now the problem, the clip is mounted by this fixture and I don't want to cut it in case the LED doesn't work. So this, which is made from a hot chocolate tin base, will allow me to test the fit:
PXL_20210128_213545453.jpg

Last edited:
And then a test fit. I've not yet thought about how to get the rear cover back on the headlight as the fan sticks out a bit and the ballast needs locating somewhere. No warnings on the dash, yet.
PXL_20210128_223514535~2.jpg
First you put the main bulb in and thread the short wires through the clip, which then holds the bulb in. Then you screw on the fan module and hook up the ballast. The ballast then simply plugs into the factory H4 socket. Typical...it was raining when I decided to fit it.
20210128_225126-COLLAGE.jpg
Better shots of the external look in daylight tomorrow.
20210128_231329-COLLAGE.jpg
Dipped beam, before and after the passenger side fitting. Needs aligning which means removing the bulb entirely to adjust two screws which connect the H4 seating ring to the LED lamp assembly.

And here's the Osram DRL/sidelights and then main beam H4 LED projector (which includes the dipped beam):
20210128_231712-COLLAGE.jpg(to be clear, these pictures show a slightly uprated H4 halogen on the right with standard DRL and sidelights, and H4 LED mini projector retrofit on the left, with Osram LED DRL and sidelights)

Last edited:
20210129_210409-COLLAGE.jpg
Much improved alignment after adjusting the mount like this:
20210129_205634-COLLAGE.jpg
And a better look at the outside minus the rain!
20210129_210120-COLLAGE.jpg
PXL_20210129_204328229.jpg
However, the jury is still out...
1. To fit the driver's side it looks like a big job, airbox or bumper off.
2. The ballast is too big to fit inside the back of the housing, so I'll need the whole headlight out to test where it can be housed.
3. The cover does fit over the back of the bulb fan module but the fan would be sealed.
4. For £55, the light output is awesome.
5. No warning lights on dash at all.
6. No recoding required at all.

PXL_20210131_152042892.jpg
PXL_20210131_152128863.jpg
PXL_20210131_153434634.jpg
Will write it up as a guide in a bit, separate to this thread, then move on to the H7s. It's completely doable, just one detail to check.

Last edited:
I should have done this rather than the bigger projectors as I couldn't get the front covers off the lights. Too late now, I've just ordered THQ lights.
I still have the challenge of the bigger projectors and some H7s, so I guess I must carry on now I've bought the kit. Unless someone wants to take it off my hands to do themselves, at cost?

I still have the challenge of the bigger projectors and some H7s, so I guess I must carry on now I've bought the kit. Unless someone wants to take it off my hands to do themselves, at cost?
Haha not me, I still have the bigger projectors I got along with spare H4s so I've got a set going too.

I should have done this rather than the bigger projectors as I couldn't get the front covers off the lights. Too late now, I've just ordered THQ lights.
If nobody tried, nobody would know, you tried and shared your knowledge, thankyou.
I bought THQ lights a year ago, they're brilliant.

Well, splitting the headlights is being a pain. I've cut away all the sealant I can see to aid splitting, then tried a couple of approaches with the oven (which I can't close) and a fan heater. But even when heated, there is nowhere to gain any purchase to pull the headlight apart. So I have ordered a pair of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QWTB..._t1_7DZZ62AMVHVXY98FHM2J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 to aid with prying the shell apart, like this guy does:
. Then I will step up with a hot air gun and try a bit harder.

That video is quite apt, here's a shorter version showing the whole process:
. I'm three hours in on one headlight, and these videos explain why....

Last edited:
This is a really tricky job. We tried to do this to a couple of scrap headlights last week just to see if its feasible to mod a pair like how you mention, melted one of them :whistle:
The sealant is very stubborn and seems to have a higher softening point so to speak than the black plastic the unit is made from.
I really hope you find a way to do this as I to am very interested in doing the same, I'll be following the thread with interest.

Back