Bi-Xenon or LED Projector retrofit

ABD sell the indicator lamps which they claim are "micro flashing" proof but as the cure is generally added resistance to the lamp to fool the lamp out diagnostic voltage injected there's no point apart from a claimed 1800 lumen lamp output which is actually damned bright though compared to the stock filament lamp... might do that on my H4s as the headlight indicators aren't that bright in daylight:geek:
Why are you opposed to LED lamps in the dip reflector as that's the lamp you'll be using 90% of the time unless you drive mostly in rural areas with little oncoming traffic and use main beam... another thought if you code the headlights for both dip and main at once then you'll have orange and white "eyes".
Pretty sure you can't fit an LED projector module in an headlight without separating the shell as the module mounts into the original lamp mounting hole ie. comes backwards through the reflector from the glass side... I could easily be wrong though!:whistle:
If the H7 headlight takes the same lamp in both reflectors it would be a no brainer to load up one headlight with a pair for an A B comparison, either way I run LED lamps in my H4 headlights and have posted pictures and a Youtube link on other threads on here:thumbsup: to give an idea of a relatively cheap and cheerful improvement in light output.

The issue with LED's in dipped beam reflectors is poor beam pattern and scatter that dazzles other motorists. The reflectors are designed to work with the light source from a halogen bulb being in a certain place. The point of the light source from an LED bulb is different to that.

You may have LEDs in your H4s and may not get flashed, but I really don't think that people bother to retaliate with main beam anymore because they'd be doing it all the time.

It has been proven that HIDs in the THQ lights work extremely well, and when paired with LED main beams, so that could be your less work option if you don't fancy splitting your lamps to fit proper projectors.

Fired up the laptop now...

I bought some DRL lamps from this bunch a couple of years back and been getting ads ever since :cautious: however these could be alright as the headlight indicators?

That's the dipped H4 LED lamp below and below that same position on road but main beam, obviously from the same dual chip H4 lamps which are the Novisight big arse fan £63.99 ones... might have gone up by now as these are now about 15 months old.

20191116_171924.jpg

20191116_171931.jpg

Reactions: CAB
You're right about better light still Dubber but that's probably realistically a nearly £1k work around to give a similar appearance and similar light pattern to the stock VW LED headlight option, mine has only ever been touted as a £63.99 improvement to the poor VW H4 stock offering.

If I were asked to consider this mod again on my T6 I would buy pair of these (£50!)
or these (£100!)

Then a lot of heat gun and patience than shove in proper LED projectors.
There is no magic in splitting the headlamp.
I have never done this before and I have done it without any damage.
For the cost of £50 or £100 I would risk it with no hesitation.

• Love
Reactions: mmi
H7 headlights and four of those LED modules you used would be pretty epic Robert, also in the youtube videos of headlight shells being opened they seem to bake the headlight in a domestic oven but if you managed with just an heat gun then even better as the surgery can be performed quietly in the garage and not with an accompanying commentary in the kitchen.

If I were asked to consider this mod again on my T6 I would buy pair of these (£50!)
or these (£100!)

Then a lot of heat gun and patience than shove in proper LED projectors.
There is no magic in splitting the headlamp.
I have never done this before and I have done it without any damage.
For the cost of £50 or £100 I would risk it with no hesitation.
I did :cool:

The headlights don't fit in a domestic oven, they are way too big. Good to hear you did it with a heat gun.

If I go that route, I'll put projectors in the dipped and a simple H7 led bulb in the main beam, and recode to use both. And it looks like indicators is a waste of time anyhow, just might get uprated halogen bulbs for the indicators.

If it's easy to master the headlight splitting I could upgrade the H4 ones and sell on ready to fit on the forum. £1,000 should cover my costs ;)

In case you are wondering why we can't put T6 headlights in the oven to warm up the seals:
PXL_20210113_233802319.MP.jpg

You're right about better light still Dubber but that's probably realistically a nearly £1k work around to give a similar appearance and similar light pattern to the stock VW LED headlight option, mine has only ever been touted as a £63.99 improvement to the poor VW H4 stock offering.

Headlights £390
HID kit £60
LED main beam bulbs £50

£500. Granted not the £64 for your bulb only swap, but not the near £1000 you might have thought.

Edit. The £500 saved will buy a Lazer spot light grille kit. ;)

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/laser-lamps-worth-it.15486/page-3

I wish I didn't sell my twin H7 headlamps :cry:.
It would perfect opportunity to show people my own "how to" ;).

• Love
Headlights £390
HID kit £60
LED main beam bulbs £50

£500. Granted not the £64 for your bulb only swap, but not the near £1000 you might have thought.

Edit. The £500 saved will buy a Lazer spot light grille kit. ;)

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/laser-lamps-worth-it.15486/page-3
I had the dreadful H4 standard fare, I tried the Novsight LED's, great light output and I even drove the wife's car toward her driving my van on several roads and the T6 lights didn't dazzle me, however when I drove towards a wall at night there was a fair bit of light scatter and the beam pattern wasn't satisfactory in my opinion. So I bit the bullet and bought Transporter HQ V2 lights and fitted HID's in the dip beam. Now I have very good light output and a great beam pattern with a sharp cutoff and no light scatter. From memory I think it was about £550 all in, which we shouldn't need to spend to get decent headlights.

I just happen not to like the V1 or V2 because of the visible individual led's in the DRL and the V3 has the indicator problem.

I was about to hit go but actually not sure what I need. These ones @Robert ordered for his Passat are hi / low H7 2.5" 35W. Is that the suitable for my H7 units and why that supplier not the other 2.5" alternatives? And what about shrouds. Can you show us the units in the headlights? And what about high beam setting, is it just wasted?

@Robert Do the BI-LED projectors have additional diodes that illuminate for main beam as per OEM, or is main beam produced via a shutter like bi-xenon?

If it's the latter, the inner main beams will be required for flashing as the projectors will function as dipped beam does. Only turning on when dipped beam is switched on, therfore won't flash main beam if not already illuminated.

So the H7 takes a 55W bulb if the Halford's bulb finder is to be believed (H7 477)

Edit: so does the Passat... now I'm confused

We(you) are considering aftermarket projector retrofit into T6 OEM headlamp (H4 or twin H7).
First of all have a look below how T6 OEM LED setup works.

Next is my Passat OEM (twin H7) headlamp which is similar to T6 OEM (twin H7) but on the Passat the low beam goes via the lens. See example photo below.

20210115_085826.jpg

Projectors that I have used produce constantly full beam - (high beam) which then can be covered by the shutter (approx 50%) - therefore low beam.

My projectors are equipped with 4 wires.
Two wires bring supply to LED module(chip) and I have used original low beam H7 plug(it is actually socket) inside of my headlamp for that.
And the other two wires are for supplying power to the shutter. If no power goes to the shutter, it remains in lower position and projector produces low beam.
When shutter gets voltage supply it moves to upper position and projector produces high beam. For this I have used my original high beam H7 plug(socket ;)) inside of my headlamp and I also connected to that my inner lights (reflector based) high beam with upgraded ordinary LED bulbs.

I genuinely hope it makes any sense to you.

Some photos of the end result below.

20210114_232642.jpg20210114_232651.jpg20210114_232746.jpg
20210114_232702.jpg

So flashing without the lights turned on would only flash the inner reflector main beams, not the outer projectors?

They would act the same as the factory bi-xenons that I fitted to my old B5.5. I dropped really lucky on those. £100 for the pair and genuinely plug and play, albeit without the leveling function.

So flashing without the lights turned on would only flash the inner reflector main beams, not the outer projectors?
That is correct.

For H4 headlamp you could connect your vehicle high beam output to the shutter and also to the actual projector LED (chip) via relay.

We(you) are considering aftermarket projector retrofit into T6 OEM headlamp (H4 or twin H7).
First of all have a look below how T6 OEM LED setup works.

Next is my Passat OEM (twin H7) headlamp which is similar to T6 OEM (twin H7) but on the Passat the low beam goes via the lens. See example photo below.

View attachment 98731

Projectors that I have used produce constantly full beam - (high beam) which then can be covered by the shutter (approx 50%) - therefore low beam.

My projectors are equipped with 4 wires.
Two wires bring supply to LED module(chip) and I have used original low beam H7 plug(it is actually socket) inside of my headlamp for that.
And the other two wires are for supplying power to the shutter. If no power goes to the shutter, it remains in lower position and projector produces low beam.
When shutter gets voltage supply it moves to upper position and projector produces high beam. For this I have used my original high beam H7 plug(socket ;)) inside of my headlamp and I also connected to that my inner lights (reflector based) high beam with upgraded ordinary LED bulbs.

I genuinely hope it makes any sense to you.

Some photos of the end result below.

View attachment 98732View attachment 98733View attachment 98734
View attachment 98738
Perfect, yes it makes sense to use the H7 sockets as the interface, I guess just spade connectors inserted

Finally, the bulbs are 55W on the T6 H7, and the link you shared was for a 35W projector LED you fitted on the Passat. So I need to look for a different model that's 55W? I guess you would tentatively recommend Synolin or whatever they call themselves?

Thanks for your help.

I just happen not to like the V1 or V2 because of the visible individual led's in the DRL and the V3 has the indicator problem.
Indicator problem? whats up with it (p.s im looking at getting these so would be interested)

Back