Bi-Xenon or LED Projector retrofit

This is a really tricky job. We tried to do this to a couple of scrap headlights last week just to see if its feasible to mod a pair like how you mention, melted one of them :whistle:
The sealant is very stubborn and seems to have a higher softening point so to speak than the black plastic the unit is made from.
I really hope you find a way to do this as I to am very interested in doing the same, I'll be following the thread with interest.
Yeah, it's really hard rubber sealant. I've spent hours using my sharpest craft knife and then using a variety of sharp screwdrivers to pull out sections. I've opened all the clips, but even so it won't budge and the heat is not having much effect. I have got one corner to open up so I'm hoping that tool will start to help me make headway. I'm actually encouraged by those videos as it shows how hard it should be when it's permaseal. He even references "euro permaseal" as if it's his nemesis!

Well I hope you crack it, not literally obviously. I think if a reliable way can be found to do this a lot of people would be interested. The projectors do provide a very nice clean light and beam pattern. Good luck!

I split a set of THQ V2 headlights on the weekend to repair the DRL.

Put the headlight in the oven for 20 mins at about 120 fan, hotter than many recommend but the door doesn’t close in the single oven so the temperature sat around 80/90, with some gloves on I was able to pull the lens away from the casing. It wasn’t easy but once it’s going it gradually came away.

After I had repaired the DRL I put the lens back on the case and back in the oven to soften the sealant to re-bond. I’ve got some sealant I’m going to run round the seam to make 100% sure it will be water tight.

I split a set of THQ V2 headlights on the weekend to repair the DRL.

Put the headlight in the oven for 20 mins at about 120 fan, hotter than many recommend but the door doesn’t close in the single oven so the temperature sat around 80/90, with some gloves on I was able to pull the lens away from the casing. It wasn’t easy but once it’s going it gradually came away.

After I had repaired the DRL I put the lens back on the case and back in the oven to soften the sealant to re-bond. I’ve got some sealant I’m going to run round the seam to make 100% sure it will be water tight.
That's encouraging. Do the THQ lights use the same sealant as VW? I was using 150 fan, lower element only, with the light sat on cardboard on the lowest rack. Will put a thermometer in with it next time

That's encouraging. Do the THQ lights use the same sealant as VW? I was using 150 fan, lower element only, with the light sat on cardboard on the lowest rack. Will put a thermometer in with it next time

THQ use perma-seal, when it came out it still held its shape and cooled very quickly back to solid. Not sure if it’s the same as OEM. I’ll have a look when I swap the headlights later in the week.

I may even have a go at splitting the H4s and fitting a projector to see how it looks.

I gave up trying to split my H4s and bought some THQ lights. Still got 2 pairs of H4s and some projectors if anyone else wants to have a go.

I’ve almost finished my conversion (been meaning to get a thread up since I started in October :whistle:) I always need a project on the go so will look at it in a couple of weeks. Happy to make a guide as I go!

I’ve almost finished my conversion (been meaning to get a thread up since I started in October :whistle:) I always need a project on the go so will look at it in a couple of weeks. Happy to make a guide as I go!
I wouldn't split the H4's as I reckon those mini-projectors are great for £55!

I wouldn't split the H4's as I reckon those mini-projectors are great for £55!
I’d like to see if it’s possible! Think I’d stick with the THQ headlights anyway.

Have you checked the headlight pattern with the mini projector in yet? My only concern with not removing the original reflector is that any light spill from the projector is getting reflected in the completely wrong places. Hopefully not as it’s a nice cheap upgrade for the H4s!

I’d like to see if it’s possible! Think I’d stick with the THQ headlights anyway.

Have you checked the headlight pattern with the mini projector in yet? My only concern with not removing the original reflector is that any light spill from the projector is getting reflected in the completely wrong places. Hopefully not as it’s a nice cheap upgrade for the H4s!
Yep

Well, it's defeated me. They don't call it permaseal for nothing..
PXL_20210204_231113039.jpg
To be fair I had given up before this point, I was just intrigued as to how they are constructed so went at it to break through.

I think the problem is that the plastic casing is softer than the sealant, so you can't push against it to split them without destroying the case.

Glad I have managed to get LEDs working in the H4s now, but with a slightly higher price than needed!

Why don't we just cut a hole in the side ;)
View attachment 101895

I think you could cut the back out of the DRL reflector and make a bracket to hold those LED high beam lamps. As per your other thread, I have ordered a set of the mini projectors. Now pondering any way to get these LED high beam lamps in. They're 75mm diameter, so I guess it would be possible to dremmel a hole in the back of the reflector and either just sikaflex it back in or make a fibreglass shroud around the bit that was cut out.

Last edited:
I think you could cut the back out of the DRL reflector and make a bracket to hold those LED high beam lamps. As per your other thread, I have ordered a set of the mini projectors. Now pondering any way to get these LED high beam lamps in. They're 75mm diameter, so I guess it would be possible to dremmel a hole in the back of the reflector and either just sikaflex it back in or make a fibreglass shroud around the bit that was cut out.
I don't think you can get the projector through the access hole in the case. There wasn't even a bad way to do this, or I would have tried it. Instead I sold the other headlight only to have royal mail drop it so hard in transit that it was broken beyond repair on arrival. Moving on...

I don't think you can get the projector through the access hole in the case. There wasn't even a bad way to do this, or I would have tried it. Instead I sold the other headlight only to have royal mail drop it so hard in transit that it was broken beyond repair on arrival. Moving on...
I still have said H7 headlamp if anyone needs one to experiment....otherwise I'll keep it for bulbs, covers etc

Hello
I will change soon my bcm to one from t6 7E0937090 and a question about bixenon led drl headlights that already installed.
Some of the options still not work because i need harness wire to new bcm and so on auto switch .
So in the market alot of 10 to 14 pin set for polo or octavia and different headlight model, led xenon bixenon full led bla bla bla.
Has anyone used them to make wiring easier for bixenon with drl?

Back