Best drive away awning

Straps over the roof can also scratch the paintwork in the wind when they start vibrating.
On my Cayman I have padded straps, I’ve not seen any damage as yet although when they vibrate...you kinda wanna tear your hair out because it keeps you up at night.

On my Cayman I have padded straps, I’ve not seen any damage as yet although when they vibrate...you kinda wanna tear your hair out because it keeps you up at night.
Far better than damaged paint. Small price to pay; you’d only be awake worrying all night anyway. ;)

Hi im after some advice on buyingba drive away awning, i want to make sure im buying a decent on as i havent a clue what im looking for ,can someone help me choose the correct one please.

Hi guys

I’m looking at getting a drive away awning for my t6. But more urgently i’d like to get a canopy that would slot into the same tracking. Is this possible?

What’s are you guys using and what would you all recommend?

TIA
Jim

We had a Riemo Rail fitted and use a Riemo canopy for one/ two nighters and have a Vango Kela 2 air drive away awning for longer trips. Would recommend both.20180605_153846.jpg

The answer to your first question is yes - that's what we do. We have a simple C-channel bolted to the van which accommodates both.

Pete

Good evening all,

as the title says, I after a drive away tent for the van. I’ve looked at a few and took a shine to the vango galli 3 low, but at £900 that’s without the other items needed for the tent.
What’s your choice, pros and cons and any pictures.

Will people sleep in it, and how many people in your T6 ?
We have a Vango Idris, which is fine for 2 of us.

Peter

It’s just me and the wife and 2 children. Poptop will house my son, and the rib bed me and the mrs when we decide if that’s the bed for us.
We just want some living space .

Almost half of the civilised world (with a camper), including me, seems to have a Vango Kela. There’s a good reason for that - they’re brilliant if you only want to add a small(ish) drive away space, quick to put up, good in bad weather and you can get one for well under £600 at the moment.

Almost half of the civilised world (with a camper), including me, seems to have a Vango Kela. There’s a good reason for that - they’re brilliant if you only want to add a small(ish) drive away space, quick to put up, good in bad weather and you can get one for well under £600 at the moment.

Do you have a link to the one you have mate? I had a google there are 4 and 5. Is yours air? Are they all air?

See here: Kela V Low.
As you will see, it's uses air beams but I think they do a pole equivalent (sorry, can't remember the name). They also do a polycotton air version which is more expensive (as well as heavier and bigger when packed). IMHO the poled version, whilst cheaper, is probably not as good as air in bad weather.

Hope this helps.

@Ayjay perfect mate!! Thank you for the information it's a great help. I've been a bit baffled by the amount of choice

I got the Vango Galli 3 low with bedrooms for a static 2 week holiday last year. It's very big and very heavy, but mahoosive inside. If I were buying again it would not be that big and there were 5 of us (parents and 3 kids aged 15 and up), but then we were blessed with good weather so we literally were not in it apart from sleeping. I think it's size would be an advantage on an extended rainy holiday but if that happens you tend to think the holiday was crap anyway.

If buying again I would by a smaller all purpose one. Just to prove that, after the holiday we got a small poled driveaway for when it's just the 2 of us.

we went for the Kampa touring. Its expensive but its a proper tent awning and worth every penny. British company and the quality is what you would expect. You would never need to buy another for a long time.
This is a large sleeping driveaway awning though, great for weekends/weeks away where you want space. I will say its probably a tad on the big side if all you do is the odd day or weekend now and again.

Back