Best drive away awning

For a quality awning look at either Khyam or Vango airbeams. Both are very easy to erect and are strong with it, they can withstand heavy weather, we have a Khyam Motordome tourer and it stood up to a force 10 gale with no damage. The Khyam have quick erect system and the Vango Airbeams are inflatable, take a look at some Youtube videos of both and see what you think.

There are of course many other types and makes of awning but those are the only two I have experience of and are simple and quick to erect

I was thinking that it would make a bit of a flap being driven on the motorway... :rofl::rofl::whistle:

I have an outdoor revolution movelite 4 with blow up beams. It has a an air relief valve on each beam which no other unit had when I looked around what was on offer at the CCM at the NEC. Therefore you blow it up and the relief valves kick in. Also on hot days as air expands in the beam it vents so as not to damage the beam. Got the quad sleeping pod in mine so each of the two kids gets a double side each.
If you are looking for all of you to sleep in the awning then the Movelite 4 maybe a bit small but the Movelite 5 would be plenty big enough and they do all sorts of inners.

Great advice again, will take a look at all of them.

Going to pick up my van from slidepods next week, to say we are excited is a bit of an understatement!

Will be another member of the team grey gang!!

I'd fully recommend Khyam. There easy up system is excellent. I've just bought another Khyam XC as we had one years ago, but sold it with an old van. It's a traditional fibreglass pole system, but literally is up and down in ten minutes. It has two double bedrooms and a huge living area with an integrated ground sheet. I'm pretty sure my van would fit in the living area.

how does a drive away awning work , connecting and reconnecting
Awning will have a beading strip sewn in - you need to connect this to the van. Standard way is via sone figure of eight and a kador strip to a c Chanel on the van (Reimo multirail, Fiamma awning,etc.) - you then just pull the Kador strip out to drive away.

how does a drive away awning work , connecting and reconnecting

If you don’t have a C rail, some awnings have straps that reach over the van and peg down on the other side. It won’t be as weather proof though.

Mines straps to the roof bars. haven't used it yet so can't comment on how efficient it is. Bala will be the testing ground.

My roof bars are already scratched because I keep forgetting that my van does not fit under 2 meter car park barriers.:mad:
But at least they are now coated with protective yellow paint to add that extra layer to guide against guy rope damage.:rolleyes:

Back