DIY Awning

Arrow

T6 Pro
Any folks out there have a DIY Awning? I'm not wanting to fork out hundreds of pounds for an awning i'm probably going to use a handful of times in the Scottish Summer so I was thinking about a Tarpaulin plus some extending poles with a couple of guy ropes pegged down.

Anyone made something similar? My main concerns are around fixing to the side of the van. I've looked at magnetic hooks, suction cups and many other means to temporarily secure. I do have the VW roof rails that could be used in some way.

Any suggestion or experiences would be great!

Thanks.

I’m on with this at the moment. Bought a tarp that comes with poles, strings and pegs.

35 - Hiking - Tarp Fresh Camping Shelter

And a 3m length of sew on Kador strip. Plan is to sew the strip on 1 side and slide it into the Reimo Rail.

I got the tarp yesterday but it needs to go back as there’s a tear in it.

I’ll post some pics when it’s done.

67FBF339-59EA-4860-9883-EDBA327A9ADF.png

I have one of those Quecha tarps sat in the garage for the last few years - don't think I ever used it - bought it to use as per above for my Land Rover but ending up buying a roll up awning. Happy to give it away if someone wants to collect (Burbage, Leicestershire) or arrange courier.

We had to cut that tarp down as it was just too long (wide).
They seem to put it on at a sale price sometimes.

Pete

I like the look of stitches and steel gear

The S+S Multirail

I bought this from these guys.

Standard C-Section Awning Rail

And wasn’t impressed one bit. I don’t know how you drill triangular holes and make such a mess of countersinking. I ended up returning it and swapping it for one without holes so I could do it myself. In the end I bought a Reimo rail and have this sat in the garage not even unpacked.

Maybe I’ve just had a ‘bad one’ and they did exchange it quickly and without any hassle.

Their products do look very pleasing to the eye though.

I have contemplated the Kieravans Railsail but it’s so expensive for what it is.

@vw-me maybe that’s why they don’t seem to have any c-section rails in stock anymore. Meant to buy last year, liked the look of the stealthy rail, but might give it a miss now.

That’s the Rail I’m planning on fitting but can’t find any reviews, have you fitted yours yet?

Aye ;) I'm impressed, looks neat and works well with Hilo. Fitting instructions are spot on, you first fit with self drilling screws then replace when fixing in to place. I was a bit cautions and used smaller self tappers to offer up so I could have another go if I made a mess first time round. I also took the time to prime the bare metal and give it a coat of paint. Give them a call as I got a discount for ordering direct ;)

Kev

https://www.t6forum.com/media/ar1.1653/full
https://www.t6forum.com/media/ar2.1654/full
https://www.t6forum.com/media/ar3.1655/full
https://www.t6forum.com/media/ar4.1656/full

You probably wouldn't be able to purchase the parts an awful lot cheaper than this:- VW T4 T5 T6 Sun Canopy Awning Anthracite Grey Designed for fixing via a c channel but also has a sleeve for pole and clamp that I think you would be able to fix to your rails.

Any ideas how to fix the C rail to the roof bars? I would prefer to add a C channel if at all possible.
I'm going diy. I will get pics up soon, just waiting for the poles to arrive.

Kev

Rail
6mm Strip
Poles x
Fabric (Brown to Match Van)
Eyelets
Glow in the Dark Cord
Glow in the dark Guy Line clips
Clamps

Thanks a lot for that list, think I will be doing something very similar. Any ideas how to attache the top of the awning to the van without a C rail. I dont want to modify the vehicle as its my main work van.

@Arrow for something permanently fixed to the van you would need something like a Reimo Multirail but it looks like you don't really want to do this. Something that may work as a cheap and nasty is getting hold of some plastic figure of 8 - drill a few holes in the centre along the length and then use zip ties to temporarily fix to your roof rails as/when required - the beading of the tarp/awning/etc. would then slide into the c channel (one side of the figure of 8).

@Arrow for something permanently fixed to the van you would need something like a Reimo Multirail but it looks like you don't really want to do this. Something that may work as a cheap and nasty is getting hold of some plastic figure of 8 - drill a few holes in the centre along the length and then use zip ties to temporarily fix to your roof rails as/when required - the beading of the tarp/awning/etc. would then slide into the c channel (one side of the figure of 8).

Thats an idea! Simple solution. Thank you

I have one of the above. It’s perfect and easy to fit.

Pete

Here's my diy,

Struggled finding a black tarp but found a dd hammocks one
Black poles from amazon as were black tarp clamp thingies and black guy lines
Black kador by the meter also amazon stitched on by local tent repair man (£20 but easy to do yourself with a machine).

It's expensive at around £80 disregarding the hidden rail from camper essentials but it's my first go

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

Back