Show Us Your Awning Setup.

Ed Webb

Webber
VIP Member
T6 Legend
A thread that could be a good reference for the summer as the season kicks off.
With a range of awning/sunshade options ut there, I'm thinking a thread that contains photos of your setup and a brief review may help others when they are in the market for something.
Anything goes from F45s, Kiravan Sunshade, Kelas and homemade canvas + awning rail.
Try and keep the thread on topic.

Great idea Ed.

We currently have 3 options:-

Fiamma F45S - this is our default and the awning we use the most, especially for 1 or 2 night stopovers, which most of our camps tend to be. It's main advantage is instant shelter over the sliding door and a nice shaded and/or dry area to sit and/or cook under for the 3 of us. It doesn't matter if you put it away wet as it will sort itself out next time you use it. Whatever the weather we peg the legs down and also use a tie down kit in all but the lightest of breezes. Even with the tie down kit, I am a bit nervous about using in winds above, say, 15 mph, especially if there are gusts much above this predicted and will never leave it out and/or unattended in strong winds. This is the only picture of ours in use that I can find ("cables" around the legs are Jo's obligatory lights):-
IMG_1950.jpg

Vango Kela III - we use this for any stays of more than a couple of nights when it is just the 3 of us camping and/or we need a drier outside space. It's ample for 3 of us plus the dogs but we have had 5 comfortably taking shelter in there before. It's easy to put up, especially when connecting via the Fiamma as this makes tensioning the tunnel a lot easier and also helps avoid snagging the fabric when opening the sliding door (holds the top of the awning further away from the van than other connection methods allow). I like it but if buying an equivalent now and/or replacing with something new, I think I would be looking at the Gali II Compact or Airhub Hexaway (see below). Again, I only have limited pictures of our Kela in use - these are from Bala last May - the awning is not perfectly pitched as a result of the large crater we are pitched over but it still did the job:-
IMG_2674.jpgIMG_2673.jpg

Vango Airhub Hex - We now use this when going away with groups of people, usually with the Fiamma providing a bridge to the van. At the time of purchase it was a toss up between this and something like a Coleman Event Shelter. It's a similar overall size to the Kella (and smaller event shelters) but the design does give us a lot more useable space to shelter more people. We also use it as a BBQ gazebo at home. If buying again I would be looking at the the new Vango Airhub Hexaway, in fact I am tempted to swap both of my current Vangos for one of these but can't currently justify it. My only criticism is the webbing straps across the bottom used to hold the shape (there is a clip in groundsheet that covers them) - when these get wet they take much longer than the rest of the awing to dry out and, unlike a sewn in ground sheet which you can just dry off with some kitchen towel, you have to let these dry out naturally to avoid getting everything else wet when packing away. First picture is set up at home, the other is in use at Busfest last year (@Mick and the lovely Ed to the right of the photo):-

IMG_3044.jpg IMG_3325.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread idea. The 3 pictures below are of our Vango Idris. This was the first time we used it, so it was more of a trial run than proper usage, as it was too cold to sit outside (Lake District in February anyone).
It connects to a C-channel rail mounted on the roof rail channel. The ground sloped away a bit.

Pete

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5222.jpg

IMG_5197.jpg

I have a Reimo tailgate tent which fits the Tepee as well as the T6, small but handy and very quick to put up. No poles, with the tailgate closed, its just two ties to the roof bars, arrange the base in a square, open the tailgate and up it pops. Few pegs & Bob Sherunkel:

tailgatetent1.jpg

tailgatetent3.jpg

Saw this at the Nats - not really an awning but its the coolest tent I've ever seen

dubtent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread idea. The 3 pictures below are of our Vango Idris. This was the first time we used it, so it was more of a trial run than proper usage, as it was too cold to sit outside (Lake District in February anyone).
It connects to a C-channel rail mounted on the roof rail channel. The ground sloped away a bit.

Pete
Your groundsheet will have the same polkadot appearance that ours does after pitching on that hardstanding - our first experience of the Vango awning and the van was a wet and cold October week by Ullswater - grass pitches were too soggy so we had to use the hardstanding (made of what looked like smashed up slate) - footprint saved any real damage or holes but some of the tiny indents are still visible. We now look at our awning as a "consumable" and something that will be replaced multiple times over the life of the van.

D1945C80-038B-4C95-A639-72436274AB4E.jpeg

Busfest ‘17. Outdoor revolution Movelite T4. I have just bought a vango day awning that I have yet to take out the bag and try on the van. Will wait for a nice day then do it. Only with the current inclemancy, it may be a while.

6B69B0E5-CAE8-4B2D-BA8C-C890EC1AFD31.jpeg

5F7E6804-ADF9-4FA1-8DBB-9A5DBAD34BB9.jpeg

2C5341C0-8096-47A4-BDCD-A63B89FDF13A.jpeg View attachment 20023 FF0FE0DA-486F-44B2-A6A7-AA1C1F70DADF.jpeg We have both the Vango Kella and the Khyam motordome. The Khyam seems to be the one we always pack, it’s taller, seems quicker to put up but I think the main reason is because the door is at the windscreen side so we face the front where the view seems to be, or if we go in forwards towards the back for privacy. The Khyam groundsheet is removable so you have the choice to use it or not depending on the ground.
The Vango has the main door opposite the sliding door so no matter which way you park you seem to be facing neighbours.

View attachment 20023

Last edited:
Outdoor revolution movelite 2
Quick to pitch ,2 main tubes to inflate and 1 over the door .very light in side lots of Windows all with curtains .There are tags attached to fit a bedroom ,optional extra .
We also have a sun canopy which zips on the front giving a nice shaded seating area ,this is also an optional extra.

IMG_20180128_222530.jpg

Vango kela airbeam setup in no time at all in pouring rain at fod, can’t fault how stable and easy to setup this is, was setup within minutes so we could be inside and then fully pegged out later. I was always sceptical about how good and strong airbeam swings are but really can’t praise enough :thumbsup:

A32E13B2-7DAE-43F4-9015-563AF3E16DE7.jpeg

0C4A9170-B4F5-426B-A901-DF48DCE763E4.jpeg
5DD3508D-B8FD-44D8-BA67-D86DCA30E101.jpeg
Movelite 2
Easy up and very useable.
As @Davenjo ..... Fiamma awning is brilliant but feels scary in winds if not close by
to grab hold of it.
ours is LWB so bit back to front,!

EA00C2D4-AEF0-4BCB-B792-D8C9523917EF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also... not my Dog!
It’s my son’s..... he is trying to convince me that the hound sleeps outside!
But my other son “dobbed” him in and informed me that he sleeps on the downstairs
Rib bed!! Aarrgh:mad:

Also... not my Dog!
It’s my son’s..... he is trying to convince me that the hound sleeps outside!
But my other son “dobbed” him in and informed me that he sleeps on the downstairs
Rib bed!! Aarrgh:mad:
I was about to ask about the dog - one of ours is a black and white spaniel. Basket goes in the front passenger footwell when camping / they seem to like it in there.

I was about to ask about the dog - one of ours is a black and white spaniel. Basket goes in the front passenger footwell when camping / they seem to like it in there.
My Weimaraner sleeps under the Kombi bed. Well that is where he is supposed to sleep. Normally hear shuffling in the night as he decides he’s had enough of that location and is moving up to the front seats where he can then curl up all warm and happy.
Big dopey swine.

He’s a young working cocker.

I wouldn’t tell my son....but if he was mine then he would definitely
be inside!

The soft kennel fits nicely on the drivers side rib bed apparently!
:laugh:

Back