Back Heavy and Poor Traction

Good work @Davenjo can definitely see the height difference on the van. Let's hope it pays off. Bloody good price and service to get fitted so quickly.

Good work @Davenjo can definitely see the height difference on the van. Let's hope it pays off. Bloody good price and service to get fitted so quickly.
Yep, very good price for the fitting and the springs themselves that @Pauly sourced for me. It was a local garage I walk past most days and had heard some good reports of so pleased I now have a seemingly good local indie I can use.

The thing I'm still struggling about with all of this is why there are not loads more converted vans exhibiting the same problems - possibly that a lot of people swap the springs to lower their vans as part of the conversion? Either that or could it be a change of spec with the new Euro 6 setup?? Can't help but think that there are going to be loads of people needing similar upgrades?

...just to clarify my thinking on possible Euro 6 changes; softer springs to compensate for firmer ride from the skinny, high pressure low rolling resistance tyres they are now fitting???

My tyres are exactly the same size on the T6 Cali as our T5.1 Cali! Still mystified by the difference in springs between mine and Loz's...

Dave - I do think some converters push their luck a bit - like converting 85PS vans then hardly being able to get up a hill. Or doing the most basic conversion then calling it a camper! But sounds like yours was done by a decent outfit and hopefully that small hiccup has been sorted.

@Polzeylad with the little things like the uprated springs, uprated gas struts, etc. that VW have accounted for in the Cali I would not be surprised if they also kept with tyres they know work.

@Davenjo do you have the part number for your new springs? I am very interested in what you think of these. As I don't tow I am wondering whether I need weight range 7, or whether something a little less will suffice.

@Davenjo do you have the part number for your new springs? I am very interested in what you think of these. As I don't tow I am wondering whether I need weight range 7, or whether something a little less will suffice.
I won't know whether it has fixed everything until around March/April (earliest I am likely to take boat and bikes anywhere together) but am confident. Even without this, I still think the van sits and drives better now than it did so, even without towing, for your converted van with all the weight over the back, you might be worth going for similar to me.

Its not quite as straight forward as a part number - my original springs were ‘0YB’ (weight range 2) and the new ones are ‘0YG’ (weight range 7) but I don't know if these are within the same range of springs.

As a starting point, it might be worth trying to work out what you currently have as there is no guarantee your's have started out the same as mine - there is a sticker under below your steering wheel with all of the codes on (picture of mine so you can see what you are looking for - you'll see the 1BA showing that I have standard suspension and OJE (weight range 5 on front) and 0YB (weight range 2).

Code can be deciphered here"- VAG Codes

@Pauly may be able to advise further.

IMG_1805.jpg

@Pauly do you know what suspension a California Beach should have? Mine seems to have a slightly saggy arse which is odd as it's completely standard. I can send you my VRN if you are able to look it up?

@Pauly do you know what suspension a California Beach should have? Mine seems to have a slightly saggy arse which is odd as it's completely standard. I can send you my VRN if you are able to look it up?

I've just found that sticker in my service book and apparently I have 0JE and 0YB.

I've just found that sticker in my service book and apparently I have 0JE and 0YB.
Apparently the same as my T30 Highline Panel Van started out with. What does it say 2 rows above (where mine says "1BA" which translates to "Standard suspension/shock absorption") - if yours is 1BA then I'm guessing you would benefit from a similar upgrade if you think the back end is saggy.

Sorry missed this yesterday, as above, the 1BA is the important bit
the springs range from standard 1BA > 2BB > 2MK heavy duty
They all come in weight classes from 1 > 9 but i cant find anything that attributes a weight or guide to what should be used for what ?????? Cali oceans seem to have the 2BB as standard and i suspect 2BB & 2MK may actually be the same/very similar springs but no way to check this out

Mine is 1BA. It's not as low at the back as @Davenjo but there is about a 2cm difference even with nothing in the back. I'm taking it to VW tomorrow for them to have a look so will let you know what they say.

Thats surprising as with roof and rear kit as standard i thought they would have something slightly stiffer than regular PVs/kombis

If the vin is searched it will bring up the codes as per the build sticker posted above so if it lists 1BA then VW will show that as being correct
The only way would be to run other Cali Beaches through the system and see what they have

That useful info as I have put my t32 front in and it's the same weight as your t30 . I have a different colour code on mine so I guess this is because the different front legs the t32 use . The rear is one up on yours so it does look like they just up grade the rears.It looks like the California's all run rears starting one up from the t32 Kombi so maybe all converted vans could do with a up grade.

That useful info as I have put my t32 front in and it's the same weight as your t30 . I have a different colour code on mine so I guess this is because the different front legs the t32 use . The rear is one up on yours so it does look like they just up grade the rears.It looks like the California's all run rears starting one up from the t32 Kombi so maybe all converted vans could do with a up grade.
What suspension code do you have, my T32 is 1BH - OJE/OYB

I have 0JE and 0YC
Looks like mine is 1 harder on the rear.
I have got to get these rears changed but it looks like they use the same fronts so it should ride ok then.
Mine was delivered to the dealers March 2016

Any news @CaliStu , how did you get on with dealer ?
The springs and shocks match what the VIN says should be on the van, but they agreed it looks lower at the back. So they have submitted a report to VW and I should hear back this week. I'll keep you posted :)

Back