Back Heavy and Poor Traction

Also presumably all this complicated stuff just applies to standard springs? When you get the VW 30mm lowering springs are they all the same stiffness?

Joining this discussion a little late, my April regd 150 dsg Cali Beach also has the saggy arse, 25mm lower floor to arch on the rear to the front.

When fully loaded last year on holidays roundabouts were a bit strange !

Here is the sticker from under the steering wheel.

IMG_4427.jpg

Kev

Joining this discussion a little late, my April regd 150 dsg Cali Beach also has the saggy arse, 25mm lower floor to arch on the rear to the front.

When fully loaded last year on holidays roundabouts were a bit strange !

Here is the sticker from under the steering wheel.

Kev
Looks like you have the same set-up as mine (T30 150 DSG panel van) started out with. Had mine pretty loaded for camping last week, including a full (76l) tank of water (ice by the time we wanted to use it!), and didn't notice any compression on the back end. Looking good for fully loading with bikes and trailer as well.

Hi Kev you have one down for my standard 140 t32 Kombi . Have you got any colour codes on them ?
The front end is the same as mine .

Sorry no colour codes, I just did a quick code check and got the following :-

0YB GKH Weight range 2 installation control only, no requirement forecast
0JE GKV Weight category front axle weight range 5
??

CaliStu, all of the time. 25mm difference front to rear, with the 3 seat bench near enough in the middle.
This beach replaced a 2011 T5.1 Velle Exec which we had from new and was level.

Same here. My dealer is currently trying to work out why so I'll let you know when they do! So far they have replaced the rear springs just to make sure they were correct, and have weighed the van at each axle to confirm its normal.

The strange thing is there appear to be plenty other T6 Beaches around which are sitting level.

Ok, so I have gone down a slightly different route with my T6 Hillside Birchover compared with @Davenjo ..... I have changed my original T28 rear springs (one yellow mark 1BA OYA) to 1BA OYE ie. standard grade springs (not heavy duty) range 5.

All of the Cali's that my dealer has in his showroom (Ocean's), and those that I could identify, have 1BA OYD rear springs ie. standard spring, range 4. My sense is that the weight of materials used in my Birchover conversion will be a little more than those used in the Cali's, and the Birchover has a 57 lt water tank compared with the Cali's 30 lt, hence I have gone up to range 5. I also have a bike rack permanently on the back.

So far so good. The van immediately 'sits' better in my opinion, and does not seem to roll as much through the bends, but only time will tell whether this solution improves the fully loaded driving characteristicsView attachment 4239 .
First trip out last weekend with rasonable amount of kit on board, and bikes on the back. Very happy with the results. Vastly improved stability and no 'saggy arse' characteristics. £200 well spent.

All packed for Bala which is the first time the van has been fully laden with gear, bikes and trailer since I had the springs replaced. Comparing back to some old photos (see page 2 of this thread) it now looks a lot better - I never took any actual measurements but I think the van now sits about 25-30mm higher than it did previously under a similar load (if you draw a line from the bottom of the sill to the bottom of the bumper it nows sits about level with the bottom of the wheel's VW insert whereas before it was well below this) .
IMG_2668.jpg IMG_2670.jpg

All packed for Bala which is the first time the van has been fully laden with gear, bikes and trailer since I had the springs replaced. Comparing back to some old photos (see page 2 of this thread) it now looks a lot better - I never took any actual measurements but I think the van now sits about 25-30mm higher than it did previously under a similar load (if you draw a line from the bottom of the sill to the bottom of the bumper it nows sits about level with the bottom of the wheel's VW insert whereas before it was well below this) .
View attachment 8742 View attachment 8741
No 'saggy arse' there! :)

View attachment 8742 View attachment 8741
Perfect:thumbsup:

Ok mine is a Hillside Swb Birchover T28 conversion 150 manual. It is low at the back to the extent I have bent the elictric hook up plate on tow bar on the ground, and now worried about damaging under water tank on some of the very rough tracks we drive along.
Some of yours are from hillside, should I go to them to have work done as I also would like a few other bits altering mainly lighting. Also I have an inspection in 20 days warning flashing up on starting.
I live the Peak District so it is a fair drive to hillside but they have been good for a couple of other things I had to return for.
If not them any recommendations and what exactly should be getting to raise rear including costs.. Beside the rear ride height and a couple of minor things all is fantastic with van and conversion.

Ok mine is a Hillside Swb Birchover T28 conversion 150 manual. It is low at the back to the extent I have bent the elictric hook up plate on tow bar on the ground, and now worried about damaging under water tank on some of the very rough tracks we drive along.
Some of yours are from hillside, should I go to them to have work done as I also would like a few other bits altering mainly lighting. Also I have an inspection in 20 days warning flashing up on starting.
I live the Peak District so it is a fair drive to hillside but they have been good for a couple of other things I had to return for.
If not them any recommendations and what exactly should be getting to raise rear including costs.. Beside the rear ride height and a couple of minor things all is fantastic with van and conversion.
I would definitely be speaking to Hillside about your concerns - as you say, they are good at getting things sorted and will be able to offer advice and may be able to also offer a fix. I’d also be getting the fully loaded van on a weigh bridge just to check you are not overloading it and/or exceeding the weight on the back axle - you may be able to solve yourself just by changing the way you load it to shift heavier things forward (don’t forget to add in any bike, trailer nose weight, etc.).

If it comes to it, changing the rear springs to stiffen the suspension up is not a big deal so don’t despair - should be quite an easy fix (as above my local independent garage swapped mine over in we’ll under an hour). Total cost was circa £200 for the springs via @Pauly plus about £80 for the fitting (actual figures somewhere in text above).

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
I would definitely be speaking to Hillside about your concerns - as you say, they are good at getting things sorted and will be able to offer advice and may be able to also offer a fix. I’d also be getting the fully loaded van on a weigh bridge just to check you are not overloading it and/or exceeding the weight on the back axle - you may be able to solve yourself just by changing the way you load it to shift heavier things forward (don’t forget to add in any bike, trailer nose weight, etc.).

If it comes to it, changing the rear springs to stiffen the suspension up is not a big deal so don’t despair - should be quite an easy fix (as above my local independent garage swapped mine over in we’ll under an hour). Total cost was circa £200 for the springs via @Pauly plus about £80 for the fitting (actual figures somewhere in text above).

Let us know how you get on.

As noted swapping rear springs is no great deal. I approached Hillside to do ours. They are a great bunch of guys with a great product but so busy that little jobs not related directly to their conversion are a low priority, and priced accordingly. They are also not interested in fitting anything other than VW original parts, which rules them out if you go H&R springs (for example)

Just been looking at these codes and wish to put mine in the mix as I will shortly be under going an ass firming revamp.
My codes are:
1BA - standard suspension
0JC - Weight category front axle weight range 3
0YB - Weight range 2 installation control only, no requirement forecast

@Fish has kindly offered me his original T32 springs but yet to check the code. Looking through the thread it may be OYC. Weight 3.

If this is the case and currently yet to be confirmed I'm wondering if these will be enough.
Confused as the T32 aren't standard suspension...

Back