Back Heavy and Poor Traction

We did Defender to Cali (our last one); think of the efficiency, refinement, mpg, lack of breakdowns, etc!

Standard FWD traction is never brilliant in a van; just need to plan ahead a bit.

Now go any enjoy that lovely camper!
Thanks!! Last thing I want to come over is that we are not enjoying the van - we love it and can't wait to get away in it again.

Hi Dave I have had a look at the photos and it looks ok unloaded but not to good with the bikes and trailer . The only think going for you is you cannot go fast towing . What does it drive like at 70 with just the bikes on ?
If you do a lot of miles like that you will wear the inside edge of the rear tyres and outer of the fronts so just keep swoping them. Van looks great .

Looking at the pictures above, i'd also be concerned about braking efficiency with a van loaded in that way, I'd suggest that should the need arise to stop in an emergency you braking distance would be further than a van loaded correctly, i'd also expect to draw the attention of VOSA or the Police if you were seen, your van looks to be definitely overloaded on the back axle, as the bikes, carrier and trailer will all be adding to the load on the back axle.

I'd just upgrade the springs and see how it goes from there, as you may also need the T32 dampers too unless they're the same.

Looking at the pictures above, i'd also be concerned about braking efficiency with a van loaded in that way, I'd suggest that should the need arise to stop in an emergency you braking distance would be further than a van loaded correctly, i'd also expect to draw the attention of VOSA or the Police if you were seen, your van looks to be definitely overloaded on the back axle, as the bikes, carrier and trailer will all be adding to the load on the back axle.

I'd just upgrade the springs and see how it goes from there, as you may also need the T32 dampers too unless they're the same.
I am in complete agreement with @480bhp , if you can afford to do it, do it now. This is not how it should be, it is not how VW intended to be, it will, even at just a subconscious level lessen your enjoyment of a other wise perfect van.;)

All good comments - thanks. I have written to my insurance to see how they would view the suspension upgrade and I will take if from there. In the meantime, I have no issues with using the van without the boat (not a problem as I don't sail through the winter) and, without looking too deeply at what we carry, I can quickly shed another 70kg from the back by simply emptying the water tank and another 20kg by ditching the drive away awning which we are also putting away until the spring. In addition, we have options for shifting some things from under/behind the RIB seat further forward for transport and then repack once on site.

I've fully loaded the van today with everything we took last week (plus a bit more), in roughly the same positions we had them, and filled the fuel and water tanks. Also put the bikes on but no trailer.

Started off using my Caravan Weight Control scales and got a measure of 2900kg (driving forwards over scales) and 2894kg (driving backwards) seemingly a good set of result. I did get a variation in the spread of weight between the axles when driving forwards and backwards but my drive is not totally level and I'm guessing that would account for this

Later, I drove over to a local council weight bridge and got the total weight recorded as 2870kg, which confirms the above and also that I'm driving within the 3000kg allowed. As regards axle loading, taking the mid point of the two figures I got for the rear axle at home gives me around 1500kg against a maximum permissible of 1600kg so it looks like, even if putting the trailer on, I should be well within the overall 3000kg limits and the individual axle limits of 1610kg/1600kg. Either way, I will make a concious effort to move weight forward where I can, empty the water tank and ditch one case of beer whenever I need to tow the boat (Mmmm - maybe stash the beer on the boat somewhere?).

Dependant on what my insurers say, I still have the option of upgrading the springs/dampers later.

Pictures of the fully loaded van on my drive - does it look OK or would you still have concerns about the balance (bear in mind when I get in the front would come down and alter the balance slightly)?

IMG_1601.jpg IMG_1602.jpg IMG_1603.jpg IMG_1604.jpg

I've fully loaded the van today with everything we took last week (plus a bit more), in roughly the same positions we had them, and filled the fuel and water tanks. Also put the bikes on but no trailer.

Started off using my Caravan Weight Control scales and got a measure of 2900kg (driving forwards over scales) and 2894kg (driving backwards) seemingly a good set of result. I did get a variation in the spread of weight between the axles when driving forwards and backwards but my drive is not totally level and I'm guessing that would account for this

Later, I drove over to a local council weight bridge and got the total weight recorded as 2870kg, which confirms the above and also that I'm driving within the 3000kg allowed. As regards axle loading, taking the mid point of the two figures I got for the rear axle at home gives me around 1500kg against a maximum permissible of 1600kg so it looks like, even if putting the trailer on, I should be well within the overall 3000kg limits and the individual axle limits of 1610kg/1600kg. Either way, I will make a concious effort to move weight forward where I can, empty the water tank and ditch one case of beer whenever I need to tow the boat (Mmmm - maybe stash the beer on the boat somewhere?).

Dependant on what my insurers say, I still have the option of upgrading the springs/dampers later.

Pictures of the fully loaded van on my drive - does it look OK or would you still have concerns about the balance (bear in mind when I get in the front would come down and alter the balance slightly)?

View attachment 2573 View attachment 2574 View attachment 2575 View attachment 2576
Hi Dave, if you're are all legal; only one persons on this planet's option matters; and you guessed it; it's yours.
Imagine it is not your van, and your mate asked you for your opinion on his van looking like yours, what would your reply be. And that is the answer.
The good thing is no matter what you decide today, it is a very easy fix; so if change your mind tomorrow, not a problem at all.
Its lovely van, that most people would be extremely delighted to own, ENJOY!

Hi Dave, if you're are all legal; only one persons on this planet's option matters; and you guessed it; it's yours.
Imagine it is not your van, and your mate asked you for your opinion on his van looking like yours, what would your reply be. And that is the answer.
The good thing is no matter what you decide today, it is a very easy fix; so if change your mind tomorrow, not a problem at all.
Its lovely van, that most people would be extremely delighted to own, ENJOY!
Just out of interest have you read the treat T32 Why? in the "Pub" section?, good background stuff!

Just out of interest have you read the treat T32 Why? in the "Pub" section?, good background stuff!
Yes I have and part of me is wishing that I had gone for a T32 when I ordered all those months ago - I thought that upgrading to a T30 would be enough (and in most instances it would be more than sufficient).

As for opinions, getting those of others who have driven vans and/or are more used to looking at them than me is exactly why I'm posting in here. This is my first van - I expected it to feel different but it doesn't feel that different than driving my cars - it certainly feels more car like than my Defender does. However, to me, the van still looks a bit lower at the back and that is what is playing on my mind) but when you measure it, its actually quite level in this state.

Yes I have and part of me is wishing that I had gone for a T32 when I ordered all those months ago - I thought that upgrading to a T30 would be enough (and in most instances it would be more than sufficient).

As for opinions, getting those of others who have driven vans and/or are more used to looking at them than me is exactly why I'm posting in here. This is my first van - I expected it to feel different but it doesn't feel that different than driving my cars - it certainly feels more car like than my Defender does. However, to me, the van still looks a bit lower at the back and that is what is playing on my mind) but when you measure it, its actually quite level in this state.
If it was like that, a couple of times a year, then OK, but I think I would want T32 rear springs or similar if it looked like that often. My philosophy is to just tweak my Vel a bit, to make it perfect in my eyes; but Function comes before Form if there is ever a conflict. In your circumstances both Form and Function would be increased significantly with a little suspension tweak. IMO your van is obviously an activity vehicle ready for an adventure at the drop of a hat; and it therefore should look like that, Ready and Up For It, with no sign of a soggy bottom.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

If it was like that, a couple of times a year, then OK, but I think I would want T32 rear springs or similar if it looked like that often. My philosophy is to just tweak my Vel a bit, to make it perfect in my eyes; but Function comes before Form if there is ever a conflict. In your circumstances both Form and Function would be increased significantly with a little suspension tweak. IMO your van is obviously an activity vehicle ready for an adventure at the drop of a hat; and it therefore should look like that, Ready and Up For It, with no sign of a soggy bottom.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks - correct, our intention is to use it like that often so, as long as insurance say its OK, I am definitely swaying towards getting T32 rear springs fitted.

I had my t32 loaded up yesterday with a boiler on the back just to see what it felt like . Not as low as your and the steering was starting to go floaty. If you can get it back up I think it will drive better.

I'm all set to get a set of T32 springs installed and was about to book it in. However, I've come across this VW document, aimed at people doing conversions, etc., which specifically mentions the problem I have:-
https://www.bb-database.com/documen...2016.pdf/4f3a5baa-c65a-4504-b581-16b3baed13fb (@Pauly - useful document - worth adding to downloads??)

Page 160, 5.6 Leisure Vehicles: Permanently installed components increase the kerb weight of the vehicle, as a result of which the suspension compression height on the rear axle is reduced accordingly. For permanently installed components, we recommend installing the spring pack PR no. 2MK specially matched for this.

So I now need to check that the planned upgrade is using this PR no. 2MK spring pack (reinforced rear suspension) - I'm guessing it is effectively a set of T32 springs but, seeing as VW have a recommended fix, that is the way I want to go.

I'm all set to get a set of T32 springs installed and was about to book it in. However, I've come across this VW document, aimed at people doing conversions, etc., which specifically mentions the problem I have:-
https://www.bb-database.com/documen...2016.pdf/4f3a5baa-c65a-4504-b581-16b3baed13fb (@Pauly - useful document - worth adding to downloads??)

Page 160, 5.6 Leisure Vehicles: Permanently installed components increase the kerb weight of the vehicle, as a result of which the suspension compression height on the rear axle is reduced accordingly. For permanently installed components, we recommend installing the spring pack PR no. 2MK specially matched for this.

So I now need to check that the planned upgrade is using this PR no. 2MK spring pack (reinforced rear suspension) - I'm guessing it is effectively a set of T32 springs but, seeing as VW have a recommended fix, that is the way I want to go.
Fair Play Dave, I have to say you are nothing, if not Very Thorough :thumbsup:

I would be interested to know how you get ion with this as I am thinking along similar lines. Are you intending to use the Pedders kit?

I would be interested to know how you get ion with this as I am thinking along similar lines. Are you intending to use the Pedders kit?
My converter, who I will be getting to do the work, is keen to stick with VW parts so I will start with the 2MK spring pack and see how it goes. Will update when I've had done but may be a few weeks.

My converter, who I will be getting to do the work, is keen to stick with VW parts so I will start with the 2MK spring pack and see how it goes. Will update when I've had done but may be a few weeks.
I look forward to update.
Say hello to Ron and the guys!

Hillside have told me today that they are too booked up to do my suspension work anytime soon. As a consequence, I've rung my nearest VW Van Centres to get a price for supply and fit of the PR no. 2MK (reinforced rear suspension) spring Kit (see above);

The first one hadn't got a clue what the PR no. 2MK was but said that he "thought" it would just be the T32 springs - he gave me a price for this but I got cut off whilst on hold talking to the service guys and, with apparent lack of info their end, I am reluctant to call back just yet.

The second one seemed to find the 2MK parts but then said there were lots of them and they were specific to the vehicle but, even with details of van, he was unable to tell me what was required and/or give me a price - seemed to want me to tell him exactly what I needed rather than, as I hoped, give me any advice.

This is the first time I have had to deal with a Van Centre and hoping the responses I got aren't typical of either Van Centres in general or these particular outlets.

Is anyone able to give me any more information as to what I need to ask for in respect of the the "PR. 2MK" or, better still, give me a supply and fit price to get the work done within, say, a 50 mile radius of Leicester??

Unfortunately this is often the case with dealers, anything out of the norm and they seem reluctant to help.
If we can work out exactly what you want i am happy to track them down for you, for you to get fitted locally ??
Will do a bit of digging tonight/tomorrow

Unfortunately this is often the case with dealers, anything out of the norm and they seem reluctant to help.
If we can work out exactly what you want i am happy to track them down for you, for you to get fitted locally ??
Will do a bit of digging tonight/tomorrow
Thanks @Pauly

Back