B14+arbs Vs Sportline Springs

PhilBob

VIP Member
I've owed the van for ~6months and have always found the sportline springs it came with a harsh ride.
After reading the reviews on this forum, I finally took the plunge and visited @BognorMotors to have B14s and ARBs fitted. (Big thanks to Oli and Simon for the great service).

All the posts I've seen so far comparing suspension setups have been subjective.
So I thought I'd have a go at measuring before and after to compare the performance.
The results were surprising good, and stacked up with opinions....

Prior to driving to Bognor, I downloaded a vibration sensor on the mobile ('Vibration Alarm' - Mobile Tools), placed the mobile on the dash and recorded vibrations along a straight rutted stretch of the A120 (cruise control set to 50mph)

Then repeated the test with the newly fitted B14s along the same stretch of road at the same speed.

Exported the 2 data sets onto the laptop, did a bit of mathematical jiggery-pokery (fft) and plotted the responses:
upload_2019-7-6_0-14-6.png

What do these plots show?....
The B14s+ARBs are up to 4 times more effective at soaking vibrations of 2-3 cycles per second, relative to the Sportline springs.
At other frequencies, there is little difference.

How was my drive home from Bognor?....
Not limo smooth, but noticeably smoother than the trip there and tight around corners. I'm Happy.

Awesome work, I've been umming arring from day#1 about this mod.

I have a factory T32 sportline running heavy, so it looks lower tyan most,
Sportline 18"
Sportline springs an shocks,
Sportline ARB.
Sportline etc etc...

But needed to know what if any differences there are, apart from ride height adjust...

So now you've done it..... can you be more detailed in the ride quality and handling as pect comparing the two.

And more importantly...... is it worth the Cash?

Sportline 18"
Sportline ARB.
Sportline etc etc...

But needed to know what if any differences there are, apart from ride height adjust...

So now you've done it..... can you be more detailed in the ride quality and handling as pect comparing the two.

Best thing to do is to pop down to @BognorMotors and borrow their demo for an hour, or if you ever venture into Dorset you can try my bus.

B14's are good, but you're missing a trick without the ARB's to match in my opinion.

Nice work OP. Now can you come and help me with my workload of 2nd order partial differentials...:unsure:

I'd love to see that re-plotted with different wheels and tyres, to see where in the range the different unsprung weight makes a difference...

I'd love to see that re-plotted with different wheels and tyres, to see where in the range the different unsprung weight makes a difference...

That's what I was thinking too...

Unfortunately I only own one T6 with one set of wheels, so it's hard for me to do any further comparisons (unless you're interested in a comparison vs the wife's ML - but I guess that's a little off topic)

The other option is to get data from two or more vans with alternative suspension/wheels/tyres and record data from a same stretch of road.

I'm guessing the mobile phone used to capture data between any pair of vehicles may need to be the same to ensure the measurement consistency too?

Sportline 18"
Sportline ARB.
Sportline etc etc...

come on @PhilBob your killing me here . . . . . give me some more juicy details. . . . is it worth the cash doing the swap?

I like @Insert Coin coins suggestion but theirs a problem. i run my van heavy so the stock Sportline suspensions is already half compressed(less available travel means firmer, harsher ride). . . . . i i drive there demo van is going to feel better because of the vans rolling weight and full suspension travel on the B14s etc..

so i need an exact opinion from someone whos done the swap, who was used to the ride and handling of the stock Sportline setup on their van. . . . . . . that has moved over to B14&ARBS and can now have a like for like, weight for weight, quality to quality, same van etc etc. also what % of the wind down did you go for? fully up? fully down? somewhere in the middle? matched the sportline ride hight?

any chance of some pics of the fitment and vans ride height and arch/tyre spacing and tyers fitted?

shocks: less/more rebound?
assumed spring stiffness: spofter/firmer?
body roll in corners: less/more?
overal: more smooth? or more harsh?

I dont know for sure, but looking at the specs im going to assume there is not much in it (from sportline to B14&ARB) . . . ie if you want B14&ARBS then great get them fitted but the actual difference ride-height vs rid-height look marginal to me?

So your the man whos recently done the swap and has it all fresh in his mind, you know your old setup and your driving your new setup . . . . is there a difference?

@Dellmassive, if you can make it over to the Stansted for a try out, send me a pm.

After a few of days driving my regular commute, the ride definitely feels smoother and less harsh.
The difference hasn't been 'night and day' by any means, but my 3year old has stopped reminding me 'daddys van is bumpy'
Body roll round corners is markedly less - although it didn't feel too shabby before either.

On mine (204, 4motion, LWB) with the front set to max height, it's a bit lower than with the sportline springs.
Personally going lower wasn't a priority, but having the ability to adjust the rear level with the front (other than loading a couple of paving slabs in the back) is a plus.

A few things I didn't really consider before lowering:
  • I can now reach the roof to clean it,
  • The roof is more visible, so I now feel the urge to clean it,
  • Grandma and toddler can climb in/out much easier,
  • If you're 6ft+ there's a risk of banging your head on the tailgate,
Whether or not it's worth swapping will depend on how deep your pockets are and how long you anticipate keeping your bus.
I plan to keep mine for a good few years, so I can justify the investment and I have no regrets.

upload_2019-7-10_0-35-53.png
upload_2019-7-10_0-36-14.png

Damn you @PhilBob.... I've wasted all of the day so far messing about with the vibration alarm app and trying to get some sensible data out of it... for no reason other than trivial amusement... Not even T6 related...o_O

Oh yeah... Your van looks great ! :thumbsup:

I find my T6 drives alot smoother and certainly comfier on B14s. I used to get alot of bounce on the rear when cornering with the lowering springs I had previously, B14s have eliminated that.

Are they worth it to me???

A big YES!!!!!

Back