Getting the Cali to handle like a car

GTI all the way for me, although I've owned and loved Golf R's as well. I love the challenge and balance of 2wd. I have my 450ps RS3 for 4wd security ;-)

Our 400PS GTI TCR is now track ready, with the first trackway booked in April :cool:

View attachment 107615
Only ever done trackdays on bikes, which generally involves someone binning it regularly. That car looks way too nice and shiny!

Sorry to jump in but been reading up on here with lowering/handling and.......... my head hurts nowo_O

Got a new T30 150 DSG PV which I will be converting to camper. Will H&R lowering springs and also ARB's far improve the look and drive? Will be on 19's and want it sitting nice and low whilst not to hard ( the holy grail).

exigecover.jpgS3  Track car.jpg

Currently have these 2 beauties for sale if Track days are your tipple . With the S3 I chased a Lamborghini Performante around SPA Francochamp and caught it surprisingly quickly . Yes we drove it to Spa and back and yes it runs Bilstein B16 dampers Sadly the KONI Track day dampers are £3500.00 and client needed a lot of things from a tight budget so B 16 made sense . 385 HP is more than enough with 4x4 traction , The Lotus is a beast no electronics and V6 supercharged rear wheel drive , Dont blink for too long .

Sorry to jump in but been reading up on here with lowering/handling and.......... my head hurts nowo_O

Got a new T30 150 DSG PV which I will be converting to camper. Will H&R lowering springs and also ARB's far improve the look and drive? Will be on 19's and want it sitting nice and low whilst not to hard ( the holy grail).

Hello there

They will improve the look, not so much the drive, as by themselves with the standard shocks isn't the best of setups, and quite uncompromising.

Being a T30, you are lucky enough that STX work for you, as fitted to @t6_tom van in this thread. If you want to come and try a set out let is know. You can level the ride out etc.

Said it many times, but suspension will be the best money you spend on your van, with the best results.

Hello there

They will improve the look, not so much the drive, as by themselves with the standard shocks isn't the best of setups, and quite uncompromising.

Being a T30, you are lucky enough that STX work for you, as fitted to @t6_tom van in this thread. If you want to come and try a set out let is know. You can level the ride out etc.

Said it many times, but suspension will be the best money you spend on your van, with the best results.

Opposite side of the Country unfortunately otherwise I definitely would call around. Spending on a van is something I am getting caught up in. I can see it is already starting to mount up to £5k plus before even getting inside to the intended conversion. Will look into STX option you mention. Thanks

Opposite side of the Country unfortunately otherwise I definitely would call around. Spending on a van is something I am getting caught up in. I can see it is already starting to mount up to £5k plus before even getting inside to the intended conversion. Will look into STX option you mention. Thanks

DEFINITELY money well spent though...
my only regret after having mine done is that i didn't do it sooner.

As mentioned Springs and roll bars only is not a good place to start, Increased spring rates from the springs and ARB will mean the standard shocks wont cope trying to damp the suspension , Also fitting springs now and camper converting later means the back will sag about 25 to 30 mm this means changing rear springs later .
A Sensible Coil over kit 30 to 65 mm will give you the best of results helping the rake ( stance ) set up before and after the conversion . Pitch and roll are all improved by the new dampers , but i would say when budget allows do the AR B'S as this will take the campers stability to another level .

Looking at improving the handling on my Exec DSG (MY17), wondering what the reaction of the Insurance co's is to better (non-standard) suspension, shockers and ARB's.?
Want to keep it looking standard, not really interested in it looking lower and mean but I know if I don't tell 'em, it will give them excuse not to pay out in the event of a claim.
Any comments welcome !
Thanks.

DEFINITELY money well spent though...
my only regret after having mine done is that i didn't do it sooner.

No problem. Always happy to advise wherever you are. We can mail order, there will someone nearer for fitment.

As been proved well on this thread, please make sure you test drive what you are having fitted. Then you know you are spending your money right, and can make the decision for yourself what is right for you. It’s irrelevant what you are told unless you try it for yourself to confirm.

HTH

Looking at improving the handling on my Exec DSG (MY17), wondering what the reaction of the Insurance co's is to better (non-standard) suspension, shockers and ARB's.?
Want to keep it looking standard, not really interested in it looking lower and mean but I know if I don't tell 'em, it will give them excuse not to pay out in the event of a claim.
Any comments welcome !
Thanks.
Shock absorbers are a Serviceable part of the car , Most people would be surprised at the life span of a Shock , its isnt as long as you would think ???

So the the question would be do you notify the insurance when changing oil, turbo or spark plugs , No is the answer . Lowering is a different matter because contrary to what a lot of people think Lowering a vehicle excessively can be dangerous .

Wheels are all down to personal taste and there are so many options for the transporter. We stock over 30 different wheels - and that’s still not enough!

Suspension upgrade is more important - They are very tail heavy and boat like to drive. Good suspension and roll bars will transform the drive and looks.
Hi Oli,

I’ve got a MY23 6.1 California Ocean with 18” alloys which I use as a daily driver. What would you recommend for the suspension? And would you change the ARB’s? I heard the standard ARB’s in the latest Cali’s have already been upgraded but haven’t had that confirmed. Ride and handling is good but I did come from a 23 year old T4 so it’s all relative! I’d also be looking for a 40/50mm drop.

Cheers.

There are a few converters out there who can transform a high end standard van into something far better than a California for less £.

There are a few converters out there who can transform a high end standard van into something far better than a California for less £.
I spec’ed a panel van to the level of kit on the Cali (heated seats, DSG, captains chairs etc etc) and that came to £52k! That’s before a penny is spent in the conversion.

Very much horses for courses. I’ve not found a conversion I’d prefer over a Cali but it’s very much personal opinion. The big benefit of conversions for me is the level of bespoking that can be done. And being able to use a LWB.

Hi Oli,

I’ve got a MY23 6.1 California Ocean with 18” alloys which I use as a daily driver. What would you recommend for the suspension? And would you change the ARB’s? I heard the standard ARB’s in the latest Cali’s have already been upgraded but haven’t had that confirmed. Ride and handling is good but I did come from a 23 year old T4 so it’s all relative! I’d also be looking for a 40/50mm drop.

Cheers.
Hello

Even the T32 thicker rollbar can be upgraded. The H&R will help over standard for sure- stop the roll and make it more car like to drive. Suspension wise we have lots of options for the heavy ‘rear ended’ California. They drive very much with the nose in the air and with light steering- too light! We’ve been transforming Californias and campers in the way they look, handle and drive, for many years. Always happy to talk you through option on the phone and then even better we can offer demo vehicles for our various setups you can compare and make your own informed decision on what’s best for you.

HTH

Hello

Even the T32 thicker rollbar can be upgraded. The H&R will help over standard for sure- stop the roll and make it more car like to drive. Suspension wise we have lots of options for the heavy ‘rear ended’ California. They drive very much with the nose in the air and with light steering- too light! We’ve been transforming Californias and campers in the way they look, handle and drive, for many years. Always happy to talk you through option on the phone and then even better we can offer demo vehicles for our various setups you can compare and make your own informed decision on what’s best for you.

HTH
Brilliant, thanks. I’ll give you a bell some time and come and visit. Not looking to do this imminently so plenty of time to consider.

Back