Resurrecting an old thread here....
Is it possible to connect your car to the web via ‘car net’ and then activate app connect with a code that way somehow?!

Resurrecting an old thread here....
Is it possible to connect your car to the web via ‘car net’ and then activate app connect with a code that way somehow?!
I wish it was that simple, mine was in for a service the other week and they wanted 200 to turn on. They said can only be done at a main dealer and they have to connect it up to the VW computer after receiving a ‘one off’ virtual key from the parts department.
Not a happy bunny......

As if spending over £1,000 for the discover media headunit wasn’t enough! You can buy an after market headunit which has Apple play built in for a lot less. But don’t think you can then sell the discovery headunit on to recoup the money... vw hard code them into the chassis number some how!

On the MY18, voice control was £150+vat option. I missed it off the list and assumed it could be activated at a later date, but it cannot according to my dealer. But there was another poster on here who got his unlocked at his local dealer in Ireland, so it can be done in some locations.

For those without AppConnect I'd just get something like this instead - Pioneer AppRadio SPH-DA120 Car Stereo Bluetooth Touchscreen MP3 USB HDMI GPS DSP | eBay

Has any one had success activating the voice control via the activation key. I've asked my dealership showing them the "You can activate the voice control function by means of an activation key please contact your dealer" to date they haven't succeeded has anybody had any luck

You have to pay for the activation key from your dealer.

I didn't bother.... wasn't worth the money.

Has any one had success activating the voice control via the activation key. I've asked my dealership showing them the "You can activate the voice control function by means of an activation key please contact your dealer" to date they haven't succeeded has anybody had any luck
Ayve ard voise aktivashun onn too carz arnd itt duzzent wurk. It carnt unnerstand mee, hits rubitsh.

Im not aware of anyone that has had it activated, i know app connect is becoming a bit more widely available but it always seems to be a no on the voice one

They gave me app connect foc when they couldn't activate it last time ... i can't get on with it. The voice connect in my 5.1gp was brilliant

Unfortunately not but just been scanning around some stuff and found this new documentation for dealers, heres an exert

This seems it should be possible

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

I have used Mirror Link with my Samsung android phone. And the magic is that you need to install an app called LG MirrorDrive and use it with non LG phone. Also Button Savior is handy to have as it simplifies the use of the phone with a touch screen only.
With all of the above in place you can use and dispaly any app from your mobile on the vehicle infotainment unit.

Last edited:
Back