Can Anyone Help With App Connect Problem

bendiver

Hi, Can anyone help with an App Connect issue Im having on a 65 plate Kombi with Discovery Media Unit. I have read through couple of threads on here ref. App Connect but can't find an an answer. I Bought a van a couple of months ago and missed having apple CarPlay, so went to VW and paid an extortionate amount of money to have it activated. Left after spending a whole afternoon and unit wouldn't connect to bluetooth or the Nav wouldn't work. Took it back into them and they fixed that issue but I still could not connect to CarPlay. After reading about USB upgrade I ordered a new USB connection for the front dash mount and thought that would solve the issue. I believe I now have the right one but it still will not connect. it allows you to select App connect but all the apple CarPlay , android auto and mirror link are greyed out. I am not having any joy with my local Vw centre so am just wondered if anyone on here who has had any issues and if there is a solution without going down the new head unit route. forgot to add the USB seems to be working as my phone will charge.

Many thanks Ben

In the earlier days there was some compatibility issues and VW did say there was a VIN range that requires a new usb socket and another VIN range where activation was not possible, I didn’t think it was the very early ones but I’m not 100% sure
What dealership have you been too ? I’m guessing Carrs who I have found not to be that great !

pm me your reg or vin and I will see what I can find out for you

Hi Nigel,
Many thanks but I’ve changed the USB and confirm it is the green one. Just at a bit of a loss now as seem to have done everything including official apple cable and still everything is greyed out. USB is working as it charges my phone but can not select anything on USB.

Good morning Ben, I’m just wondering if when they did the ‘fix’ to correct the subsequent faults that they managed to corrupt/uninstall the upgrade?
They should have given you an empty plastic box after the initial upgrade which contains a scrap of paper with the upgrade number/license number for app connect just in case it does ever need a reinstall.
In any event I would ask them to do a reinstall just to cover this eventually as I can’t think what else it could be.
You have my sympathies as most VW dealers really don’t have a clue.

Good morning Nigel, yeah I have all the bits for the upgrade I will try again with VW but am in this for £310 as I ordered the wrong USB to start with. The strange thing is the USB is greyed out in all options not allowing media photos or anything, but works on Bluetooth fine. Have connected up mother in laws android which it does pick up in connected devices but won’t connect fully. I’ll be honest though I don’t know my way around android so that may be a setting in the phone.

Many thanks for your help
Cheers Ben

The strange thing is the USB is greyed out in all options not allowing media photos or anything,

This could be the root cause. If the head unit can't see the USB socket, App Connect is not going to work.

Have connected up mother in laws android which it does pick up in connected devices but won’t connect fully.

Was this via the AppConnect USB or Bluetooth?

I’ll be honest though I don’t know my way around android so that may be a setting in the phone.

Android uses 'Android Auto' to connect. Was the Android Auto app installed and then setup on the phone?

Hi Dilbert, many thanks for replying, I’ve just tried an old iPod and it appears to me that the USB is not reading anything at all however it is supplying power so like you say this may (probably be) be the root cause.

As for the other things you mention it may well have picked up via bluetooth as cannot seem to get the USB to read anything.

many thanks for your help I will investigate further.

thats a good point made above, the power and data is fed to the outlet separately, the little two pin connector that sits just above the usb is the power pair and the four pin fakra plug is the data connection

I’m starting to wonder if there is an option somewhere to enable data transfer on the USB that may not be ticked. I’ve only just got the van so unsure whether it’s ever worked.
Many thanks for all your suggestions

Shouldn't you be able to test the usb connectivity by plugging in a memory stick with a couple of mp3's on it?

You don't need app connect to use usb playback I wouldn't think.

I've said it before, but that Disco headunit is the biggest waste of £1200 I've ever spent, should have just got a Kenwood put in there instead.

Many thanks, I’ve tried a USB stick and it would appear that the USB is not working/enabled as it doesn’t even register (all greyed out) can’t find anything in the menus so maybe a VCDS setting
Cheers Ben

A couple of thoughts.... Did the original USB port work with a USB stick? Have you forced the head unit to reboot (press and hold power) since changing the USB socket?

A couple of thoughts.... Did the original USB port work with a USB stick? Have you forced the head unit to reboot (press and hold power) since changing the USB socket?
I’m not sure whether the original port worked or not as I’ve not had this van very long and hadn’t tried it.

I have rebooted it a couple of times since fitting the new one and also whilst the old one was in whilst I was investigating this issue.

Many thanks for all your help, after reading a lot of different threads I’ve concluded that the USB port may not be enabled as nothing will transfer data so will update after a trip to VW to enable it at the end of January. Unless anyone Has VCDS in Torbay and would be interested in some beer tokens.
Many thanks for all your help

If you want to come to Plymouth one evening/weekend i can take a look for you

If you want to come to Plymouth one evening/weekend i can take a look for you
That’s extremely kind Pauly unfortunately I am away this week as I work away. However I may get in touch if it’s convenient for you in the near future. Many thanks Ben

No worries mate just give me a shout when your free and im sure we can work something out

Hi, Can anyone help with an App Connect issue Im having on a 65 plate Kombi with Discovery Media Unit. I have read through couple of threads on here ref. App Connect but can't find an an answer. I Bought a van a couple of months ago and missed having apple CarPlay, so went to VW and paid an extortionate amount of money to have it activated. Left after spending a whole afternoon and unit wouldn't connect to bluetooth or the Nav wouldn't work. Took it back into them and they fixed that issue but I still could not connect to CarPlay. After reading about USB upgrade I ordered a new USB connection for the front dash mount and thought that would solve the issue. I believe I now have the right one but it still will not connect. it allows you to select App connect but all the apple CarPlay , android auto and mirror link are greyed out. I am not having any joy with my local Vw centre so am just wondered if anyone on here who has had any issues and if there is a solution without going down the new head unit route. forgot to add the USB seems to be working as my phone will charge.

Many thanks Ben
To me it looks like your dealer messed up your FEC codes.
If you have your own VCDS or you could ask someone local to help you it would be worth to check what SWaP codes are active on your unit.

Also have a look here ---> Infotainment Fec/swap

Last edited:
Back