Anyone driven to Sweden?

Yes, a few times, absolutely love it. There’s plenty of space and the swedes I met were lovely people. If you go to the East coast it can be a bit crowded in summer but you’ll still find somewhere to stay, even in the heart of Stockholm. It is a bit less camper friendly than Norway as water and dumping facilities aren’t quite as widely available, but still far more than they would be here. One tip that springs to mind is that journeys through the central forested area can be far longer than a quick glance at a map suggests, it’s a long country, and surprisingly (being the land of Ericsson) the mobile signal is often absent. I once left a small town in the north and had absolutely no signal for almost 3 hours! Don’t break down ...

The lakes and forests are beautiful and the Swedes live a lot of their lives outside during the summer, so many even out of the way parking spots will have benches and barbecue grills available for everyone to use. Bear in mind that a lot of the nicest bits are by lakes, and where you find still water you will find biting insects, but I’ve never found it unbearable and a light breeze will keep them off altogether.

Last time I came down the west coast where there are some lovely nature reserve areas, and the beautiful little town of Fjällbacka which is well worth a visit, though you’ll have to stay at the site rather than wild camp. It’s run by the grumpiest bstard you could find but it’s well worth it.

I do the Hull-Rotterdam ferry and stop over in Denmark one night on the way (also worth exploring if you have time). I think there are a couple of Swedes on here who will be able to give you better info but feel free to ask me if there’s anything specific I can help with.

Last edited:
Yes, a few times, absolutely love it. There’s plenty of space and the swedes I met were lovely people. If you go to the East coast it can be a bit crowded in summer but you’ll still find somewhere to stay, even in the heart of Stockholm. It is a bit less camper friendly than Norway as water and dumping facilities aren’t quite as widely available, but still far more than they would be here. One tip that springs to mind is that journeys through the central forested area can be far longer than a quick glance at a map suggests, it’s a long country, and surprisingly (being the land of Ericsson) the mobile signal is often absent. I once left a small town in the north and had absolutely no signal for almost 3 hours! Don’t break down ...

The lakes and forests are beautiful and the Swedes live a lot of their lives outside during the summer, so many even out of the way parking spots will have benches and barbecue grills available for everyone to use. Bear in mind that a lot of the nicest bits are by lakes, and where you find still water you will find biting insects, but I’ve never found it unbearable and a light breeze will keep them off altogether.

Last time I came down the west coast where there are some lovely nature reserve areas, and the beautiful little town of Fjällbacka which is well worth a visit, though you’ll have to stay at the site rather than wild camp. It’s run by the grumpiest bstard you could find but it’s well worth it.

I do the Hull-Rotterdam ferry and stop over in Denmark one night on the way (also worth exploring if you have time). I think there are a couple of Swedes on here who will be able to give you better info but feel free to ask me if there’s anything specific I can help with.

thank you very much! i am familiar with the hull/rotterdam ferry. do u cross the bridge from Denmark into Sweden? I have been to this bridge on my last trip, intending to go into Sweden (we didnt, long story involving bad weather and a moody wife!). I'm thinking of going up the west coast in the autumn for a week or so. would you be able to recommend a few places? thanks matey.

Only flown there as my bro in law lives an hour West of Stockholm (used to live West of it by the sea) but been at least half a dozen times.
Only really seem the city and a bit of countryside but it's all very pleasant. Expensive to eat and drink out but it's a nice place; I reckon a van trip there would be great although I'd want to continue to Norway for the Fjord action too.

yes went to Sweden a few years back. there are a few campsites near shockholm but be aware that some are being used for immigrants these days, so take care with your things. food can be a bit expensive in the shops, but we found the small markets a better best. if you go into shockholm there is parking and do visit the VASA which is a must (look it up) shockholm is small and an easy walk around.
wild camping is allowed, but you must not have anything outside the van, chairs etc. the people are great and most if not all speak English. have a great time.

I have just been looking at this trip on google maps and I have plotted out the route to just outside Stockholm. Its 1,365 miles there and takes a full day and a halfs driving (if you didnt sleep!)
https://goo.gl/maps/BnXb9fWfuWz

Crikey, you live not far from us! I woill be taking a similar route but not going to Stockholm, but up the west coast of Sweden to maybe near the Norwegian border. Looking for silence rather than bright city lights!

thank you very much! i am familiar with the hull/rotterdam ferry. do u cross the bridge from Denmark into Sweden? I have been to this bridge on my last trip, intending to go into Sweden (we didnt, long story involving bad weather and a moody wife!). I'm thinking of going up the west coast in the autumn for a week or so. would you be able to recommend a few places? thanks matey.
Yes via the Oresund bridge. I loved the Nordic noir series “The Bridge” so I always like going over it. Most of the west coast is quiet though the only places I’ve stayed were Fjällbacka, Båstad (yes really) and a couple of pull-ins north of Malmo. The east coast up to Stockholm is pretty boring, all flat farm land and motorways, so unless your target is Stockholm or the islands then stick to the west coast. I saw no issues with immigrant camps but things have changed in Sweden in the couple of years since I’ve been so maybe worth getting more info there.

And I’ve got to agree with @SofaKing, Norway is the elephant in the room and if you have the time it really is on another level and all of my trips to Sweden have been en route to Norway.Much of Sweden is beautiful, but the scenery in Norway will suck the air from your lungs with every corner you go round.

So often I sit down to plan a trip and get drawn back to Scandinavia because I know it won’t let me down, you’ll love it :thumbsup:

Yes but in winter on my way to Finland
I take the ferry from harwich to hook of Holland it’s around £200 return with a nice cabin and is like a cruise ship think it’s stenaline who operates the route

There is also a big Morrison’s and Argos has a few shops like BM homestores and Dominoes pizza just before inside the port so you can get things you forgot easily and parking at the dock if you are early is really easy

the run out of Holland is clear and easy once through passport check and I took the bridge in Denmark to Malmo it’s around 35 danish kronkie whatsits so not expensive and although it looks longer it’s far faster than the ferry’s you can use but again these provide a driving break if needed and don’t delay too much if you are rushing

I can make it to Nykoping in 1 day it’s around 12-14 hours if making good progress

Nothing to worry about in terms of boarders if they stop you (pulled to special areas on side of motorway) it’s just to see why Uk car is so far up quick chat and rejoin they didn’t mither over lights etc but you can get genuine VW headlight covers for £30 ish with blanking euro stickers

Have fun

We’ve been considering a Sweden Norway trip; the information here in very helpful.
Our slight issue is being very much on the wrong side of the country so even Harwich is a six or more hour drive.

But I reckon we’ll do it soon anyway.

Oh BTW, the women are pretty much all GORGEOUS!!

Rather a blanket statement that could be perceived as a misogynistic comment, thus assuming that we are all red blooded cavemen on here and only have one thing ticking round our small brains.

A T6 Forum lads road trip to Sweden is in order me thinks..... Bagsy the front row.

We’ve been considering a Sweden Norway trip; the information here in very helpful.
Our slight issue is being very much on the wrong side of the country so even Harwich is a six or more hour drive.

But I reckon we’ll do it soon anyway.
Yes living 40 mins from Hull ferry terminal does come in useful there

Don't forget the Abba museum in Stockholm, it's almost next door to the Vasa-which is an absolute must if visiting the city. The Mary Rose is conference league by comparison.

Back