Driving Camper across Europe 1st time Advice

Lotuscamper

H&S Manager
T6 Pro
Me and wife thinking of taking the camper on a euro trip not decided finally either across northern Spain down toward Portugal or going across to Austria /Czech republic area ?

Not sure which regions holds best options for campervan stays be it paid or free sites? Which roads are easiest to negotiate limiting Toll costs ?
But I guess as 1st timer in campervan which is better suited, I have driven in Europe a few times many many years ago

Me and wife thinking of taking the camper on a euro trip not decided finally either across northern Spain down toward Portugal or going across to Austria /Czech republic area ?

Not sure which regions holds best options for campervan stays be it paid or free sites? Which roads are easiest to negotiate limiting Toll costs ?
But I guess as 1st timer in campervan which is better suited, I have driven in Europe a few times many many years ago

There have been 2 or 3 similar threads in the last few months so a quick search may point you to them. One was about driving to Croatia and another was general tips for Europe travels. :thumbsup:

We are currently in southern Spain, nearly 3 weeks into an 8 week trip round Spain and Portugal in a generally clockwise direction.
We never pay tolls. I love the views and relaxed nature of driving through Spain and France at a leisurely pace.
Plenty of free aires in France, some even have free EHU.
Spain has loads of free autocaravas areas. We are using one now facing the beach in Toremolinos. Most are free. This one is two euros per 24 hours.
Many have free water/waste/toilet emptying. Some have nothing or any combination.
Some are horrible dumps and best avoided.
Some of the nicest are in the small towns and villages where they want to encourage you to go and spend money.
We mainly use Search for Sites app to navigate our journey.
We use a campsite every three or four nights.
In Spain most autocaravanas areas don’t permit camping behaviour, so you can’t get chairs out etc.IMG_6059.jpeg
Taken about 10 minutes ago.
Don’t stress, get in the van and set off. The only thing we had booked was the ferry Newhavem to Dieppe.

I should had said it’s likely my road trip be in summer as I am working and if we take our youngest she off for 8 weeks in summer
I will read the links especially generally about driving in Europe
I am a kind of safe person so would tend to stick to paid camp sites with facilities etc ?

I should had said it’s likely my road trip be in summer as I am working and if we take our youngest she off for 8 weeks in summer
I will read the links especially generally about driving in Europe
I am a kind of safe person so would tend to stick to paid camp sites with facilities etc ?
We've toured europe for 30 odd years, by far our favourite country is Portugal. Very friendly people, very reasonable prices, easy camping, great food, stunning scenery, deserted beaches if you stick with the Atlantic coast. Avoid the Algarve at all costs. From Faro, go west to Sagres & then North up through Alentejo to Setubal. You won't be disappointed.

We've toured europe for 30 odd years, by far our favourite country is Portugal. Very friendly people, very reasonable prices, easy camping, great food, stunning scenery, deserted beaches if you stick with the Atlantic coast. Avoid the Algarve at all costs. From Faro, go west to Sagres & then North up through Alentejo to Setubal. You won't be disappointed.
Keep meaning to go, what's up with the Algarve out of interest? Too touristy?

Keep meaning to go, what's up with the Algarve out of interest? Too touristy?
The Algarve is great if you like mixing with fat Brits eating “genuine” fish & chips /All day English breakfast & watching sky sports whilst drinking Guinness. Portugal it ain’t. It’s as close to Portuguese as Benidorm is to Spanish.

The Algarve is great if you like mixing with fat Brits eating “genuine” fish & chips /All day English breakfast & watching sky sports whilst drinking Guinness. Portugal it ain’t. It’s as close to Portuguese as Benidorm is to Spanish.
I know it's not everybody's cup of tea but come on....! Just kidding that sounds like my idea of hell, thanks for the heads up.

As I have my roots in Portugal and I had family home down in the Algarve I used to holiday but the family house was sold in late 1980’s to a Russian who paid in cash drawn from his Mercedes car boot! I would like to go back but fear the change will be heartbreaking so I like to see further north of country including NW of Spain ?

Back