NORWAY '24.

Ricardo T

Now or Never
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Our trip to Norway in May is fast approaching after much research and planning and excitment is starting to build.
We are planning on being away for a month+ assuming all goes well and to plan.
Still researching various finer details and nothing will be set in stone, apart from our departure on LeShuttle which is 2nd May at 7:20am. Once on European soil our plan is to drive up through Belgium/Holland and Germany and into Denmark via either Kolding/Odense or the short ferry from Puttgarden to Rodby (Any body done this?) and then up Sweden along the Gulf of Bothnia and across to Narvik, possibly Tromso if we feel it. From there we'll spend some time exporing The Lofoten Islands which look amazing and then head back down the west coast stopping off as and when. No accomodation will be booked ahead as we'll be mainly wild camping and the route may change as necessary so it will all be very fluid but we expect to stay on a few campsites every now and again.
We've got the latest TollPass for the roads and ferries and preparations on the van to be in tip top condition prior to our departure are ongoing.
If anyone has any top tips please share .I have not done any driving in Europe for a few years now but i doubt much will of changed in that time...will it?

Wow, sounds amazing. Something the Faithful Donkey is destined for but may have to wait to retire first.

Really looking forward to seeing some updates and pictures as your trip unfolds, and to benefit from your experience when my time comes.

Have a great trip!

FD

We are planning a similar trip in August, up to the artic circle and back down through Finland. From what we've seen you'll have a n amazing time.

Sounds great: my only suggestion ( having visited Sweden a while back) is that the mosquitoes can be pretty hungry, although whether that applies in May I know not.

We did a little bit of Norway two years ago in July by car and hotels. Caught ferry to Holland then up to Eemshaven, ferry to Kristiansand, drove to Stavanger then ferry to Bergen to cut out a lot of the driving. Then flit from hotel to hotel up to Kristiansund and back. Norwegian prices made this a very expensive holiday but what a place, the scenery, the perfect roads and everywhere was immaculate (except Bergen which just so happens to have what appears to be a hundred nationalities living there!) even public toilet blocks in the middle of nowhere were spotless, with soap and towels and rubbish actually put in the bin instead of all over the floor a la UK! If you are coming down the west coast some worthy visits are the Atlantic road 64 as seen on tv etc (although the iconic bridge photo section where the road is above the water is only a few miles long) and Trollstigen. Trollstigen gets clogged with buses etc during the day so I had to get up at dawn to get a totally clear run up it, so worth it tho, an "enthusiastic" drive in a V8 Audi RS4 was something to never forget (although single figure MPG was) also Loen where you can catch the sky lift up the mountain for some amazing views. We mistakenly never bought a toll pass but have never been billed, its probably not worth them chasing UK vehicles as in three weeks we saw less than a dozen UK plates.
Long story short, watch the speed limits, its expensive, it often rains, journeys take twice as long as you expect due to the twisty roads and stopping to look at views......but its all WELL worth it....enjoy.

P1050727~photo.JPG

View overlooking Loen

P1050790~photo.JPG

Trollstigen road

P1050816~photo.JPG

Atlantic road 64

Lofoten is absolutely stunning. Spent 2 weeks sea kayaking round the islands about 2010 ish and plan to go back next year. Getting fuel in the less populated regions not an issue as there are plenty 24 hr credit card payment pumps. Campsite bottom right in photo gives a flavour of the amazing scenery.2C3122EE-DC60-4BCA-ACBC-7E7C1EFD7583.jpeg

I've never holidayed in Norway but did visit Stavanger a lot when I was working. On that basis, the only advice that I can offer is to take plenty of money with you (or cards with decent limits). It is (or at least was then) a very expensive place to live but well worth a visit if you can afford it.

Thanks you for taking the time to read peoples and for any advice/pics.
We are planning on filling every nook and cranny with food stuffs and the like as we've heard its spenny on that front but fuel prices look similar to here luckily.
The weather could potentially be 'nice' but who knows these days and we are going prepared for the worst. Black out blinds fitted and eye masks are packed.
Midge spray, tick!
Applied for a German Emmisions sticker for the route through the Ruhrgebeit Enviromental Zone which covers Essen/Dortmund etc.

Reactions: CAB
We did a little bit of Norway two years ago in July by car and hotels. Caught ferry to Holland then up to Eemshaven, ferry to Kristiansand, drove to Stavanger then ferry to Bergen to cut out a lot of the driving. Then flit from hotel to hotel up to Kristiansund and back. Norwegian prices made this a very expensive holiday but what a place, the scenery, the perfect roads and everywhere was immaculate (except Bergen which just so happens to have what appears to be a hundred nationalities living there!) even public toilet blocks in the middle of nowhere were spotless, with soap and towels and rubbish actually put in the bin instead of all over the floor a la UK! If you are coming down the west coast some worthy visits are the Atlantic road 64 as seen on tv etc (although the iconic bridge photo section where the road is above the water is only a few miles long) and Trollstigen. Trollstigen gets clogged with buses etc during the day so I had to get up at dawn to get a totally clear run up it, so worth it tho, an "enthusiastic" drive in a V8 Audi RS4 was something to never forget (although single figure MPG was) also Loen where you can catch the sky lift up the mountain for some amazing views. We mistakenly never bought a toll pass but have never been billed, its probably not worth them chasing UK vehicles as in three weeks we saw less than a dozen UK plates.
Long story short, watch the speed limits, its expensive, it often rains, journeys take twice as long as you expect due to the twisty roads and stopping to look at views......but its all WELL worth it....enjoy.

View attachment 233468

View overlooking Loen

View attachment 233469

Trollstigen road

View attachment 233470

Atlantic road 64
That's fantastic information, thankyou.

Hopefully I will be going to Norway at the end of August for 4 weeks. I'm planning to go via the tunnel through Belgium.Germany,Denmark,Sweden. In order to cross from Denmark to Sweden I am planning to go via the Øresund bridge for which I have ordered a tag to pay for the crossing automatically. You can also use this tag to cross the Storebelt bridge although you have to activate it first in your account. You can also use the tag to pay for the toll roads in Norway. Cost to order the tag and for the shipping to the UK was FREE.

If you want to order a tag from Øresund Pay it is called a Bizz.

Last edited:
@Alied The Øresund bridge is quite a spectacle and looks quite odd as it emerges from the sea!

Like @Ayjay I have spent a lot of time in Stavanger with work over the years although I have not been for a while now. I also worked near to Oslo for two years before settling down back here. Most of this was in the winter so it was more about snowboarding weekends but during the summer trips I often ventured out.
For anyone going near to Stavanger, I can highly recommend Preikestolen or the Pulpit Rock. This is basically a cliff that hangs over Lysefjord with a 600m shear drop. It's a very popular hiking destination in the summer and only 40 km east of Stavanger. You can drive directly there (to the car park at the bottom!!) via the 9 mile long Ryfast tunnel.
It's a couple of hours to hike there from the car park and the terrain isn't too bad. It's probably best kept for drier days but it was clear when I went and the view was amazing.

Hopefully I will be going to Norway at the end of August for 4 weeks. I'm planning to go via the tunnel through Belgium.Germany,Denmark,Sweden. In order to cross from Denmark to Sweden I am planning to go via the Øresund bridge for which I have ordered a tag to pay for the crossing automatically. You can also use this tag to cross the Storebelt bridge although you have to activate it first in your account. You can also use the tag to pay for the toll roads in Norway. Cost to order the tag and for the shipping to the UK was FREE.

If you want to order a tag from Øresund Pay it is called a Bizz.
Good info @Alied thank you for posting . When doing research for the road and ferry tolls I didn’t come across this one…there seem to be lots to choose from with some only doing road tolls although information and navigation around some of the sites was sketchy.

@Alied The Øresund bridge is quite a spectacle and looks quite odd as it emerges from the sea!

Like @Ayjay I have spent a lot of time in Stavanger with work over the years although I have not been for a while now. I also worked near to Oslo for two years before settling down back here. Most of this was in the winter so it was more about snowboarding weekends but during the summer trips I often ventured out.
For anyone going near to Stavanger, I can highly recommend Preikestolen or the Pulpit Rock. This is basically a cliff that hangs over Lysefjord with a 600m shear drop. It's a very popular hiking destination in the summer and only 40 km east of Stavanger. You can drive directly there (to the car park at the bottom!!) via the 9 mile long Ryfast tunnel.
It's a couple of hours to hike there from the car park and the terrain isn't too bad. It's probably best kept for drier days but it was clear when I went and the view was amazing.
Thanks @Bear78, hoping to make it to the Pulpit!

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good spot to park overnight near Folkestone for an early departure through the tunnel the following day?

@Ricardo T we did Norway in summer ‘22 for 5 weeks. Tunnel etc same as you plan.
We did the ferry from Puttgarden to Rodby then straight up and Helsingor to Helsingborg.
You can book it as a combined ticket for about €90. It’s really easy and saves time and fuel.
Helsingborg is lovely and we spent a day there on the return journey staying at the motorhome sire which is on the harbour.
As you’ve got your toll tag and ferry sorted, have you linked the two together? And have you prepaid your ferry account? If you prepay then you save 50% on all ferries. However, it’s not as amazing as it seems as some of the west coast ferries are free and the others are heavily subsidised. Many are just a few quid.
However, if you plan on doing the Bodo to Moskenes route to Lofoten then it saves you about £45 each way.
We did the ferry Bognes to Lodingen to get to Lofoten. It’s quick and easy and drops you into Lofoten high enough up so you can then drive down southwards and not miss anything.
Don’t allocate much time to staying in Bodo. Apart from loads of white tailed eagles it’s a whole load of not much.
If you can get to Tromso then do so. We stayed two nights and loved the place.

Back