Any Plumbers In The House?

I’ve got a question about soil-stacks and air admittance valves...

The father-in-law is having work done on his flat. He’s the top story of a two-floor block. The layout of the 3 flats is identical.
His only toilet joins the stack, but the stack continues up through his bathroom to - what we assume to be - the (flat) roof.

It’s boxed in and we were wondering... could we reduce the stack down and fit an air admittance valve, and make good the vent that continues through the ceiling (he has no fan in the bathroom, so if it could be utilised for that...?).

Is this doable?
Would boxing it in mean we need to vent the box (the plan means it would be tiled over)

Here’s a wonky photo to assist. Cheers.

9D7DDED4-DF26-44DC-ABE4-B09A96BB6C71.jpeg

I’ve got a question about soil-stacks and air admittance valves...

The father-in-law is having work done on his flat. He’s the top story of a two-floor block. The layout of the 3 flats is identical.
His only toilet joins the stack, but the stack continues up through his bathroom to - what we assume to be - the (flat) roof.

It’s boxed in and we were wondering... could we reduce the stack down and fit an air admittance valve, and make good the vent that continues through the ceiling (he has no fan in the bathroom, so if it could be utilised for that...?).

Is this doable?
Would boxing it in mean we need to vent the box (the plan means it would be tiled over)

Here’s a wonky photo to assist. Cheers.

View attachment 89318
First of I’m an engineer not a plumber but here are the regulations.
I have an internal aid admittance valve and it works without issues.
I guess from what you are saying there are 3 toilets connected to the stack so if all 3 toilets flushed simultaneously that would cause maximum flow through the valve, unlikely but I guess it would deal with it.
If I were boxing it in I would put a vent grill on the box and make the air admittance valve accessible for replacement and in case of need to clear a blockage..
I can see any reason why an extractor fan cannot be fitted to the remaining stack

First of I’m an engineer not a plumber but here are the regulations.

I have an internal aid admittance valve and it works without issues.
I guess from what you are saying there are 3 toilets connected to the stack so if all 3 toilets flushed simultaneously that would cause maximum flow through the valve, unlikely but I guess it would deal with it.
If I were boxing it in I would put a vent grill on the box and make the air admittance valve accessible for replacement and in case of need to clear a blockage..
I can see any reason why an extractor fan cannot be fitted to the remaining stack
That’s music to my ears.

Anymore for any more?

Where we live, our house is at the end of the pipe run and has an open vented pipe through the roof. The other houses on our side of the street dont. I was told by the builders there has to be one vent to air in a soil pipe run. (It was 18 years ago and regs change)

Ian

Where we live, our house is at the end of the pipe run and has an open vented pipe through the roof. The other houses on our side of the street dont. I was told by the builders there has to be one vent to air in a soil pipe run. (It was 18 years ago and regs change)

Ian
That’s still the same according to reg’s I attached. See diagram.

Back