Any idea what these wheels are [Vossen VFS1]

It's So So Hard to find what you like, but then to see if it's the right fitment and then if it looks and sits on the Van properly ..... I've seen a few on customvanz it maybe a trip to offer some up and See if there's any I like

So much is made on here about fitting correctly load rated wheels, almost to the point of hysteria some might say. Now, I understand the potential implications if something was to go wrong with an incorrectly fitted/wrongly weight rated wheel, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of a wheel failing catastrophically and causing an accident as I don't think I have ever heard of it happening? I have heard of cheap 'copy' wheels starting to crack, but I believe this is more down to being of very poor quality rather than being under-rated as such.
@Thogg as one of Her Majesty's finest, is this something you have ever come across as I imagine it's a pretty rare occurrence, but the reaction on here to this possibility makes it seem sometimes that fitting a 20kg underated wheel is akin to playing pass-the-parcel with a grenade with the pin out.
I'm not for one second saying you should deliberately fit under-rated wheels, just that the risk may be slightly over-played.

No I'm told it's a T32 so load rating of 860kg per corner but a lot of load rated wheels are 750-800kg ?

I see where your coming from as if you don't load the vehicle fully your not stressing them to the max but the main issue would be MOT time if it's a T32 as wheel and tyre ratings will come into it and it would fail

I understand what your saying as you can tell it's a PITA but it don't change the fact that mot and insurance require it as does the law.

So much is made on here about fitting correctly load rated wheels, almost to the point of hysteria some might say. Now, I understand the potential implications if something was to go wrong with an incorrectly fitted/wrongly weight rated wheel, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of a wheel failing catastrophically and causing an accident as I don't think I have ever heard of it happening? I have heard of cheap 'copy' wheels starting to crack, but I believe this is more down to being of very poor quality rather than being under-rated as such.
@Thogg as one of Her Majesty's finest, is this something you have ever come across as I imagine it's a pretty rare occurrence, but the reaction on here to this possibility makes it seem sometimes that fitting a 20kg underated wheel is akin to playing pass-the-parcel with a grenade with the pin out.
I'm not for one second saying you should deliberately fit under-rated wheels, just that the risk may be slightly over-played.
I've seen some wheels I like 815kg my van is always empty could this 45kg each corner make much difference, I understand the mot factor but thought it was just the tyres they checked not load rating on wheels, any mot testers on here to clarify this ?

I'm trying to think of an occasion whereby I've been to a catastrophic wheel failure due to incorrectly rated rims. The honest answer is I can't think of one.

For the sake of insurance for me.. not nessersarily an accident being my fault.. bit there are alot of idiots drivers out there, I dont think it is worth not getting insurance cover because of a few kg's.. we all know regardless of fault insurance companies dig deep at trying to get out of paying.. regardless of fault or reason.. so why give them a potential get out of jail card..

And how many people have ended up with cracked or bent alloys as a result of hitting a pothole at speed? The likelihood of this happening is increased by fitting under-rated wheels and if drivers can miss seeing tyres with pronounced bulges on the inner side of the wheel are they any less likely to miss seeing a crack on the inside of an alloy wheel?

I've seen some wheels I like 815kg my van is always empty could this 45kg each corner make much difference, I understand the mot factor but thought it was just the tyres they checked not load rating on wheels, any mot testers on here to clarify this ?
I am not qualified to answer this categorically, but my rational head would say 'probably not'. I would think that a safety factor will be built into the design of the wheels of at least 50%. The stresses encountered with the wheels are both axial and radial- they need to withstand a fully loaded vehicle cornering at max grip levels so they'll need to withstand more than 815kg per wheel.
I'm trying to think of an occasion whereby I've been to a catastrophic wheel failure due to incorrectly rated rims. The honest answer is I can't think of one.
Tyres failing, wheel nuts coming loose etc are all far more likely in my opinion.

I am not qualified to answer this categorically, but my rational head would say 'probably not'. I would think that a safety factor will be built into the design of the wheels of at least 50%. The stresses encountered with the wheels are both axial and radial- they need to withstand a fully loaded vehicle cornering at max grip levels so they'll need to withstand more than 815kg per wheel.

Tyres failing, wheel nuts coming loose etc are all far more likely in my opinion.

Just a case of do it once, do it right..IMO.. totally understand your point, but it be my luck and local roads that the wheels have issues under rated..
Plus for me personally, the Van is pretty much loaded up every day.. and roads are very poor here.

Last edited:

I've been to A LOT of those! If I bump into a Collisions investigator tomorrow (see what I did there) I'll ask them..

I reckon the factor of safety would be a lot higher than 50%. Getting the van on two wheels would in theory load each wheel with the full axle load. Personally, I stick to the load ratings, just in case.

Just a case of do it once, do it right..IMO.. totally understand your poiny, but it be my luck and local roads that the wheels have issues under rated..
Plus for me personally, the Van is pretty much loaded up every day.. and roads are very poor here.
Think you need steel rims fish As that game we played dodge the pot holes on the way home from oxford was not nice.

I've been to A LOT of those! If I bump into a Collisions investigator tomorrow (see what I did there) I'll ask them..
That would be interesting to find out!
Just to clarify, I am not saying anyone should fit underrated wheels, just that if they did, the risks may not be as high as is being made out.
Potential insurance factors when involved in an unrelated incident is a different conversation altogether however.

Back