Any idea what these wheels are [Vossen VFS1]

That would be interesting to find out!
Just to clarify, I am not saying anyone should fit underrated wheels, just that if they did, the risks may not be as high as is being made out.
Potential insurance factors when involved in an unrelated incident is a different conversation altogether however.
I get where you are coming from. It's a "don't cross the streams" thing..

From the wheel dealers and manufactures i have spoke to they all say the wheel rating is tested to a certain KG to sell ,but they will take a lot more weight as suggested. They do not pay for higher testing as there is not enough demand for them to do so in relating to heavier vehicles/testing costs. So a 815KG wheels should be more than strong enough but this is incorrect in the eyes of insurers/mot. I dont carry any weight in my kombi, so i have no need for those rating but i also cant afford to lose the cost of my bus either.

The search continues.... ;):)

So I'm guessing the bigger brands may have them tested to higher load ratings TSW BBS WolfRace etc
I'm still stuck on if I should lower my T6 caravelle before deciding on wheel size
I want to lower 40mm with 19" wheels and 40 profile tyre but scarred it will kill the ride quality for the kids in row 2 (bench seat removed) so many mixed reviews from everybody !!
I want a comfort ride with killer looks .........

Very nice wheels and van! I'm sure I've seen some wheels very similar but without the price tag...although unsure whether they will be load rated. Will try and find them..

Oh how I love it... The weight limit is there for you to see when you buy the van.. Want lower rated wheels? Get a lower rated van! Even if you run empty the wheels need to be rated to the vans limit.. Same with going over a 3t weight limit bridge empty in a t32, you will still get nicked for being in breach of the bridges weight limit! It's a case of the few spoiling it for the rest of us.. Weight limits are there on these vans, get the correct wheels, springs and suspension, or get a lighter van.. But don't condone breaching this safety factor, otherwise what's next? Fit smaller brakes sir?

To Some people style is everything...... & Common sense is nothing..... Fit wrong stuff you have breached construction and use regs amongst others afaik.. Bye bye licence if you get caught out.. Won't be so cool looking walking to a thro from the shops will it? btw, each wheel & or tyre constitutes a seperate offence/breach of regs, as does each shock or Spring!

Last edited:
Oh how I love it... The weight limit is there for you to see when you buy the van.. Want lower rated wheels? Get a lower rated van! Even if you run empty the wheels need to be rated to the vans limit.. Same with going over a 3t weight limit bridge empty in a t32, you will still get nicked for being in breach of the bridges weight limit! It's a case of the few spoiling it for the rest of us.. Weight limits are there on these vans, get the correct wheels, springs and suspension, or get a lighter van.. But don't condone breaching this safety factor, otherwise what's next? Fit smaller brakes sir?

To Some people style is everything...... & Common sense is nothing..... Fit wrong stuff you have breached construction and use regs amongst others afaik.. Bye bye licence if you get caught out.. Won't be so cool looking walking to a thro from the shops will it? btw, each wheel & or tyre constitutes a seperate offence/breach of regs, as does each shock or Spring!
Remember when I mentioned hysteria?
Has anyone said anything to the contrary?

Remember when I mentioned hysteria?
Has anyone said anything to the contrary?

Not hysteria... And some rely on implying things!

Hysteria would be saying that it would fail on you.. I have stated that the law states what is required to be fitted to the vehicle due to its weight limit due to law.. I suggest you learn the difference!

Just to clarify, I am not saying anyone should fit underrated wheels, just that if they did, the risks may not be as high as is being made out.

Here is the lack of realisation ref the points system.. The risks are clear... As is your implied thoughts..

Yes, it was a repeat on what I said in my first post on the subject as I knew someone would jump to conclusions and take it to extremes re. smaller brakes and bridges etc!

Bridges are a fact m8, I know!

Same as c&u rules and regs! You need to remember that people might follow your implied "advice" and contravene rules and regs... So be clear on what you "advise" or think.

Reactions: CRD
I don't know the details of how wheels are load rated, but I do know a bit about International Engineering Standards, and Material science.
I would guess that the mode failures could be various, but sudden catastrophic collapse is probably the least likely to occur.
Usually the standards are more about good serviceability; which is breached way before total collapse.
When a wheel comes under undue stress, high elastic deformation (i.e. it temporarily stretches) or plastic deformation(it permanently bends/buckles) are going to cause all sorts of problems with tracking/ balancing/tyre inflation poor ride and control/ undue vibration and stress either altering ride comport/stability/brake performance or unduly stressing other components in the drive line/suspension.

The standards will also allow for time related corrosion/weathering/materials becoming brittle/stress fractures over time of a component etc etc.
The failure mechanism will invariably be mounting a kerb or hitting a pot hole etc etc; when
the dynamic loads are probably 10 times or more than general driving. A huge factor in these sudden dynamic impact loads is the forces generated by sudden deceleration or impact, and very low profile tyres are far far worse than standard profile tyres at allowing this stress to occur.

The wheel failure we all know about, are a friend down the pub, whose very low profile wheel/tyre combo being buckled/cracked/rim damage causing sudden deflation etc etc when kerbing or pott-holing. I think a slightly under spec loaded rated wheel with a 125mm of side wall of rubber; is about 100 times less likely to fail than a correctly load rated wheel with only 60mm of shocking absorbing side wall, given the state of todays roads.

Not the law, just good old fashioned engineering imo;)

I don't know the details of how wheels are load rated, but I do know a bit about International Engineering Standards, and Material science.
I would guess that the mode failures could be various, but sudden catastrophic collapse is probably the least likely to occur.
Usually the standards are more about good serviceability; which is breached way before total collapse.
When a wheel comes under undue stress, high elastic deformation (i.e. it temporarily stretches) or plastic deformation(it permanently bends/buckles) are going to cause all sorts of problems with tracking/ balancing/tyre inflation poor ride and control/ undue vibration and stress either altering ride comport/stability/brake performance or unduly stressing other components in the drive line/suspension.

The standards will also allow for time related corrosion/weathering/materials becoming brittle/stress fractures over time of a component etc etc.
The failure mechanism will invariably be mounting a kerb or hitting a pot hole etc etc; when
the dynamic loads are probably 10 times or more than general driving. A huge factor in these sudden dynamic impact loads is the forces generated by sudden deceleration or impact, and very low profile tyres are far far worse than standard profile tyres at allowing this stress to occur.

The wheel failure we all know about, are a friend down the pub, whose very low profile wheel/tyre combo being buckled/cracked/rim damage causing sudden deflation etc etc when kerbing or pott-holing. I think a slightly under spec loaded rated wheel with a 125mm of side wall of rubber; is about 100 times less likely to fail than a correctly load rated wheel with only 60mm of shocking absorbing side wall, given the state of todays roads.

Not the law, just good old fashioned engineering imo;)
Nice post:)

Nice post, but it still doesn't work as a defence in court.. T32, unless properly down graded by the ministry and recorded as such on the v5 REQUIRES BY LAW the properly rated wheels, tyres, and suspension components.. No arguments or grey areas on this fact chaps... That is true and correct advice, and not implied.

Nice post, but it still doesn't work as a defence in court.. T32, unless properly down graded by the ministry and recorded as such on the v5 REQUIRES BY LAW the properly rated wheels, tyres, and suspension components.. No arguments or grey areas on this fact chaps... That is true and correct advice, and not implied.
That bit was answered in the final line "Not the Law", and yes I'm sure you're right for T32's, but my observations are general engineering only

I worked with the team that investigated early RS4 wheel failures.

And that's partly why I hate unsuitable wheels. Which these are.

Why do so many people push the boundaries of safety for vanity?

Do you all have highlights, waxed bodies and spray on tans too?

Dictionary definition;

a covered motor vehicle, typically without side windows, used for transporting goods or people

Not;
Angry looking chaviot :whistle:

Back