Another 'kombi To Day Van' Thread...

dennismo

150 Kombi Edition - LV Sportline
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Exciting times... I'm finally pushing on with the process of getting my Kombi ready for using as a 'day van' in the summer... It's already insulated and lined (by Leighton Vans) but I'm yet to do other bits.

The next step is heading down to 'Forty Winks' tomorrow, to have a Kombi Bed fitted. Ryan at Forty Winks has been super helpful - I'll try and post some photos once I've got it fitted!

I've read lots of helpful forums on here over the last months (which is actually how I found out about Forty Winks). I know there are already loads of info on here about blinds... but I wondered if people have bought the thermal blinds or quilted blinds from Customveedubs? Are they worth the money? Or would people suggest something else?

I'm also planning to buy an external blind for the front - likely Rainbowscreens / VanShades / Kiravans / Minster... This thread and this thread have been really helpful to me... if anyone has any tips on current deals / other options to look at please do let me know.

I thought I might get internal thermal blinds (maybe the customveedubs ones above) and external for the front. Is that OTT?

At some stage, I'd also LOVE to get Hookup and Leisure battery fitted, and maybe a diesel heater too... but I'll get these things sorted first!

Any thoughts / comments / advice, please send them my way! :thumbsup:

Be warned that the Fuel Lagoon external screen cover, as in my avatar, is not blackout though. If that bothers you, you'll need internal screen as well

Be warned that the Fuel Lagoon external screen cover, as in my avatar, is not blackout though. If that bothers you, you'll need internal screen as well

Is yours a"deluxe" one as mine certainly blocks the light?

Is yours a"deluxe" one as mine certainly blocks the light?
Don't know, can't remember having a choice. It was about £80-90 a year or two ago

Edit: Yes found the order, "printed onto our Deluxe range", bought by a bizarre coincidence exactly a year ago today!

Thanks guys!

Had the Forty Winks bed fitted yesterday, and it seems GREAT! Big thanks to Ryan and Adam who were super friendly, and really helpful.
Photos of install below

Waiting for install...
IMG_1665.JPG

Stage 1 - frame in. (Note to self... I still need to get my spare wheel fitted underneath!!)
IMG_7308.JPG

Stage 2
IMG_2763.JPG

Stage 3 - final piece in
IMG_8222.JPG

Finished!
IMG_5128.JPG
IMG_7734.JPG
IMG_5347.JPG

Thanks for a TOP job, Forty Winks! Thoroughly recommended!

So next job is blinds... has anyone got the quilted blinds or thermal blinds from Customveedubs? I've contacted the owner, trying to establish the difference between them, but he hasn't really answered the question - just told me about how much better his product is than other makes... Any thoughts / tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

So next job is blinds... has anyone got the quilted blinds or thermal blinds from Customveedubs? I've contacted the owner, trying to establish the difference between them, but he hasn't really answered the question - just told me about how much better his product is than other makes... Any thoughts / tips would be much appreciated!

I bought some blackout material and super strong magnets on Amazon and my sister stitched them together for me. Works a treat, very easy to fit and remove and very dark. Used the off cut and a length of bungee cord to make a front curtain.
48D02B03-DFD0-4AD3-955E-44C822C36E24.jpeg
As you can see it’s bright sunshine today waiting for the ferry from Rostock to Gedser.

Has anyone purchased internal blinds from Motor Blinds? They seem to get decent reviews on Trustpilot... wondered if anyone has them? They're a lot cheaper than the ones I mentioned before (Customveedubs)...and I've not found the chap that I contacted at Customveedubs particularly helpful...

Motor blinds have a full set for a SWB T6 tailgate for £85...

Any thoughts appreciated!

Excited that the van going into @Absolut5 next week for Leisure battery / hookup. Any tips from people for number of sockets and locations etc people have found useful in a day van?

Has anyone purchased internal blinds from Motor Blinds? They seem to get decent reviews on Trustpilot... wondered if anyone has them? They're a lot cheaper than the ones I mentioned before (Customveedubs)...and I've not found the chap that I contacted at Customveedubs particularly helpful...

Motor blinds have a full set for a SWB T6 tailgate for £85...

Any thoughts appreciated!
Hello
Did you buy the blinds as I’m also looking?

How did you get on with your electrics, what did Absolut5 decide to fit?

@Paul H - here is a quote of a description I gave on another thread:

Nope - no solar panel at all!! Just the B2B via the DS250...

In terms of the setup, this is the list that Jason sent prior to fitting:
- Mains hook up/leisure battery
- Under bonnet socket
- Extension lead
- Consumer unit
- 105 AGM leisure battery (safer and last longer than a normal leisure battery)
- 10a stage charger
- Ctek D250sa B2B charger (designed for stop/start tec)
- Fuse holder

In terms of sockets:
- 2 x CBE 12v & 240v twin sockets
- LEDs and USB that Leighton Vans installed re-connected to Leisure battery instead of Starter...

I'm yet to use the hookup / charger as the B2B has been so good (or at least that's what it seems!)

Worth saying that @Absolut5 did a SUPER neat job too!

Hello
Did you buy the blinds as I’m also looking?
Yep. I bought them. Not a perfect fit at first on a few of the windows, but the chap got me to sent a template over and he made up new ones which were better, so hopefully any ones purchased now will be a better fit? Some of the trustpilot reviews speak of the same issue, so I think he must have got the picture... I camped with them a few weeks back and they did the job. Pretty good for the money!

(Note to self... I still need to get my spare wheel fitted underneath!!)

My spare wheel has been replaced with an LPG tank that is bolted in its place. I therefore have a spare wheel support bracket available if it is of any use to you?
There is no hinge pin, but I should still have both bolts - and an anti-theft bolt bought from the Forum Shop).

My spare wheel has been replaced with an LPG tank that is bolted in its place. I therefore have a spare wheel support bracket available if it is of any use to you?
There is no hinge pin, but I should still have both bolts - and an anti-theft bolt bought from the Forum Shop).
Thanks @Shaun Witts - how much do you want for it, and where are you based?

Back