Another cracked screen.

Me also, heating elements and accoustic heat proof green. Pita, these things are too thin....

I had a good look over the screen between the showers. I've actually found a 3rd chip :mad:

This last one was hiding in the black tint to the left of the mirror. A little call to Direct Line in the morning, lets see if they want to fill the damage or replace the screen.

It's an extremely brittle screen - like glass (ha ha!)

I had a good look over the screen between the showers. I've actually found a 3rd chip :mad:

This last one was hiding in the black tint to the left of the mirror. A little call to Direct Line in the morning, lets see if they want to fill the damage or replace the screen.

It's an extremely brittle screen - like glass (ha ha!)
Interesting statement and I just wonder if the glass sheets of the laminated screen are too highly stressed and need to be a tad thicker/heavier duty.

As much as i no (not much) windscreens are 4.4mm laminated, now i keep 2mm picture glass in which only comes in small sheet, in which i carry in twos, for extra strength as you only have to breath heavy and it gone. I am no screen expert but i am guessing this is to allow for all the shapes and bends we have in vans/cars today + it will give easy with any impact (your head) on the down side it makes them very brittle to any kind of hit. 4mm toughened was ruled out as a screen due to its strength from impact and it just explodes into small pieces, Not the best thing in front of your face really............but this is just my thoughs may be completely wrong , i usual am :)

@Dragothesiberian I think that you might raise a query with VW as it is just possible that your screen could be suffering stress fractures, this would certainly be indicated if the cracks are in the same general position on each occasion.

That's absolutely crazy, there must be something wrong with the mounting. I've only had 3 cracked windscreens in 32 years of driving!

That's absolutely crazy, there must be something wrong with the mounting. I've only had 3 cracked windscreens in 32 years of driving!
Not a single crack in forty years for me! until i got the T6! Unfortunately the cracks always appear in a different place top/left bottom/centre/ and now bottom/right and within a couple of days they are around a foot long so have to be done..

Not a single crack in forty years for me! until i got the T6! Unfortunately the cracks always appear in a different place top/left bottom/centre/ and now bottom/right and within a couple of days they are around a foot long so have to be done..
@Dragothesiberian that's interesting as that is a diagonal placement and smacks of torsional stress and flexing in your particular vehicle.

Had a new windscreen fitted by Autoglass. Top job done and genuine VW screen fitted. Had to pay £75 excess.
Having a look at the screen I got the labels off of it and have all the manufactures details and part nos. if anyone is interested. Looking it up you can buy it direct from the for €149 plus shipping and Vat.

Had a new windscreen fitted by Autoglass. Top job done and genuine VW screen fitted. Had to pay £75 excess.
Having a look at the screen I got the labels off of it and have all the manufactures details and part nos. if anyone is interested. Looking it up you can buy it direct from the for €149 plus shipping and Vat.

Huh........you can buy a genuine vw windscreen for 149 euro's.......bargain mate.......I'd order another on spec at that price! I must be missing something??????

Bloody hell......I find myself bracing myself every time anyone comes racing towards me......wagons in particular! Anyone know the situation if you don't have protected no claims and you have a windscreen claim? I'm lead to believe they are classed as no fault but have a feeling that the insurance companies will make sure they get their pound of flesh for a claim.....is it worse if you don't have protected NCD? Why did my dad's old ford Cortina's never suffer from this.....is the glass different these days.......thinner maybe, or is it the heating elements?

I reckon the roads were just cleaner back then, theirs just too many pot holes nowadays with all the chippings spread to the sides of the roads just waiting to be flicked up !

I reckon the roads were just cleaner back then, theirs just too many pot holes nowadays with all the chippings spread to the sides of the roads just waiting to be flicked up !
Maybe......I see a lot of nuts and bolts and bits of broken springs on the road these days......aaaargh!!!!!

Bloody hell......I find myself bracing myself every time anyone comes racing towards me......wagons in particular! Anyone know the situation if you don't have protected no claims and you have a windscreen claim? I'm lead to believe they are classed as no fault but have a feeling that the insurance companies will make sure they get their pound of flesh for a claim.....is it worse if you don't have protected NCD? Why did my dad's old ford Cortina's never suffer from this.....is the glass different these days.......thinner maybe, or is it the heating elements?

Windscreen claims are not recorded as a claim. They dont get loaded into CUE which is the national database where insurance companies share claim data.

Back