Another cracked screen.

I got away with one on Sunday evening on the M42. Was behind a HGV in lane one when I saw the stone coming up. It hit, made one hell of a bang, how the hell it did not come through I don't know, but all it did was leave a tiny mark. Massively surprised.
Sounded like a bigger impact than the one that ended up chipping the screen a couple of months ago, which I had to have repaired.

Phew @DaveyB ! Which of the following applies: Luck of the Irish :whistle:; Devil looks after his own :devil:; God looks after the righteous :rolleyes:?
Would love to say it's the righteous option, but more likely to be the :devil: one!
Irony being I was only just thinking to myself "I really to need to get past this truck", since it was an enormous waste lorry, and the roof panels that close to hold the rubbish in, were held open on one side!

Coming home from a weekend in Scarborough today in my wife's mini..........doing about 40mph......what a bloody bang!! Something coming the other way must've kicked up a bloody bolt or something.......anyway, don't think it'll repair. Anyone got any advice re what to look for in a repair company? Car is insured through Directline. Thoughts guys????
MD (pissed off!)

Just call up your insurance company as they will generally have an account with one of the big screen companies such as national windscreens or autoglass. They generally won't go near those dodgy awning bods that spring up every Saturday and Sunday in the retail parking lots.

Had an experience in France, following a works truck when a metal stake came out from the bed and bounced in the lane, far enough behind to slow, and luckily it landed up on the hard shoulder.. Like animals, don't swerve to avoid, and don't take your eyes off them, just slow down!

As has been mentioned, your NCB should be unaffected HOWEVER it's still a notifyable claim for insurance quotes so you'll likely find it following you around for 3 to 5 years.

I worked out that my last windscreen claim cost more in excess/increased premiums that it would have do to pay outright!

Just food for thought

Due to next doors kids throwing stones around I've now joined this thread! :mad:
Only reason i know how it happened was by looking at my dash cam footage, so worth the purchase now!
Anyway, spoke to AutoGlass, they are going to speak to my insurance about ordering a gen VW screen through windscreen cover, see how it goes...

Due to next doors kids throwing stones around I've now joined this thread! :mad:
Only reason i know how it happened was by looking at my dash cam footage, so worth the purchase now!

Hope you were able to provide their parents with a copy of the footage?

Anyway, spoke to AutoGlass, they are going to speak to my insurance about ordering a gen VW screen through windscreen cover, see how it goes...
Was it by accident or did they aim for it? i'm struggling to understand how kids sometimes think (or actually the lack of thinking)...

Was it by accident or did they aim for it? i'm struggling to understand how kids sometimes think (or actually the lack of thinking)...

No complete accident, actually good kids but they somehow decided to throw stones onto their own garden but one goes across my drive and hits the screen!
She had no idea it hit the van as she doesn't look at the van at all and carries on.
What can you do?!

I need to get moving with the replacement of mife's mini windscreen.......does anyone have any pearls of wisdom? She's with Directline so it looks like it will be autoglass. I'm surprised you can't take it to a depot.....just concerned about best possible conditions for fitting the screen? Don't think they'll repair as it has a 2cm crack underneath the chip and it's in zone a! Thoughts gents? :thumbsup:

National windscreens have depots, that's where I went after telling Autoglass where to go! did the job inside not in the pissing rain!
thanks mate......I'll ring Directline and find out what my options are? For a start, I think it makes sense for it to be parked on level ground.....don't want to introduce any slight twisting of the bodywork....or am I being OCD???

Quick update, had a genuine screen fitted by Autoglass last weekend at the cost of £117 as i had to pay the vat on top of the excess, had to wait a few weeks for them to get the genuine screen delivered, get insurance to authorise it etc but was worth the wait.

Bit of free advice, all insurers have there own deals with glass companies however should you decide to use one thats not theirs, whilst it wont affect your NCD you could potentially have an increased excess amount to pay. This typically applies when replacing screens rather than fixing stone chips.

IMG_0438.JPG Dang it. Already had one repair done to screen when this appeared like magic while parked up.
Contacted Auto Windscreens yesterday (owned by Marker Study who are the insurance company Brentacre use) to arrange fitting of new screen. Had to pay £80 excess up front.
Checked that screen being fitted was heated and had rain sensor and they confirmed that was what was showing against my registration.

Back