Another cracked screen.

Windscreen claims are not recorded as a claim. They dont get loaded into CUE which is the national database where insurance companies share claim data.
OK PukkaT6......just so we're clear then, I guess you're saying that whether or not your NCD is protected or unprotected, it's irrelevant where a windscreen claim is concerned??

I have been pulled up by an insurer for not declaring a windscreen claim; make a test quote on a comparison site and see the price change if you declare! I wonder how they knew, if it's not logged??

I have been pulled up by an insurer for not declaring a windscreen claim; make a test quote on a comparison site and see the price change if you declare! I wonder how they knew, if it's not logged??
Same for me, took out a policy only for the insurer to contact me saying i hadn't declared a claim which turned out to be a windscreen replacement

My comments were based around my companies criteria for what we load into CUE (which was dictated to us by the software house we use) and personal policies for 20 years previous where I have had windscreen claims and have never been questioned.

Think of it like this, most insurance brokers are backed by a panel of underwriters, its therefore possible that despite you moving your insurance year on year its still underwritten by the same underwriter or be part of the same group and in those cases they are most likely using their own claim data to identify a previous windscreen claim.

Price comparison sites will obviously load the premium if you make them aware of additional claims but they are not doing that by querying a database thats simply the pricing structure.

This then goes back to my point of you dont know how good an insurer is until you make a claim. A Pukka client with a windscreen claim will be classed as a non fault accident with no impact on NCD and the claim would not show anywhere for anyone to use against you. This then goes back to our ethical approach and why we even exist. ;)

We are doing something big later this year which Im hoping will help a few people on here, cant say too much just yet.

sorry PukkaT6......have I missed something.....do you run an insurance brokers?

Here's my take on it - ANY contact with insurers is marked down. Even just an enquiry.
I've had to demand two "claims" be removed - they were simply phone calls.

So unless damage is REALLY bad, I'll pay myself. When our screen smashed on the car (it was 3 months old) they tried to palm me off with getting an insurance job - I was having none of it. I wanted a new OEM screen and go it paid for by BMW (a stupid wiper design is what caused it to smash).

When the wife gouged our four month old T5.1 California, I just paid for it myself.

Claiming is considered a worse crime than speeding or other offences by insurers - dare to claim and they'll up your premium so much, it's clear they don't want your business any more.

So I'd bite the bullet and just get it replaced. Otherwise that black mark will stay on your file for 5 years and you'll pay far more in the long run.

Claiming will obviously be the biggest impact to your policy but a Road Traffic Accident and a glass claim are completely different hence why they have different excess amounts and a glass claim does not affect you NCD.

I agree with Polzey in that if I had an accident involving no other vehicle ie a gate post and it was around my excess amount to repair Id get it sorted myself rather than have it against my name.

Insurance is all about loss ratios, if you pay out more than your earned premiums them you are making a loss, its pretty simple stuff. Therefore if an insurer is performing bad across their book of business they will obviously want to remove some of the bad risks.

You and your insurer want the same thing, to never make a claim.

Huh........you can buy a genuine vw windscreen for 149 euro's.......bargain mate.......I'd order another on spec at that price! I must be missing something??????
I'll post the part number later and you can check it out. May be worth ordering a few between us and save on the shipping costs.

After never having had a cracked windscreen in 20 years I had a run of 3 replacement windscreens in about 18 months.
Each time I went through my insurance companies and each time they said it was recorded as a no fault claim.
Yes you have to list them as claims whenever you get a quote but I'm not aware of them having affected my premiums - they didn't go up at the time and they didnt go down after the 5 years elapsed and I gradually stop including them in my quotes

You get one screen without affecting your policy , mine was done in the drive by a mobile bloke. I had to help him lift screen into place

After never having had a cracked windscreen in 20 years I had a run of 3 replacement windscreens in about 18 months.
Each time I went through my insurance companies and each time they said it was recorded as a no fault claim.
Yes you have to list them as claims whenever you get a quote but I'm not aware of them having affected my premiums - they didn't go up at the time and they didnt go down after the 5 years elapsed and I gradually stop including them in my quotes
I have the exact same problem....3rd windscreen being fitted as we speak in 18 months. Thats as many as I have had in 30 years doing 800 miles a week!!
Each time the fitter has pointed out a chip and each time it has has split horizontally across the screen!
In fairness to Autoglass they have been great and have re fitted no problem....I am dreading my insurance renewal in December though!!

Has anyone asked if there are different bonding materials, should there be some flexibility and are some making too rigid a fixing? Should only VW supplied bonding be used? I've no experience of a cracked heated screen on a T6 YET but it could happen any day.

Rod

I'm with Directline but if I needed to make a windscreen claim could I not insist it went to VW as then I would know it was a genuine screen ?

I think you can turn round to the windscreen company and require them to fit a genuine screen. At the back end of last year/ start of this, people were reporting that genuine screens were all that were being fitted simply because no one had made a pattern part. Don't know if that is still the case.

I'm with Directline but if I needed to make a windscreen claim could I not insist it went to VW as then I would know it was a genuine screen ?
As an avid collector of VW T6 Screens :) there is nothing good about a genuine screen, I wouldn't mind a pattern one next time just to see if they last any longer!

Mine has cracked on the motorway...autoglass are fitting their own screen, he said it was exactly the same screen as VW one, but it just hasn't got the makers stamp and part number on it. I don't care as long as it doesn't crack again...£100 excess!

Back