Windscreen repair

MrD

T6 Guru
Had a nice stone hit my windscreen on the M4 courtesy of the kind lads strimming at the edge of it on Friday. It’s not cracked and the doesn’t appear to be much of a chip but it’s damaged within the glass 10mm X 12mm . Not got worse whilst away but it’s right in drivers area of sight (doesn’t impede currently).

Not having needed to sort this before is it go straight to Insurance company or go via Autoglass? I am covered by insurance it appears at £0 but also elsewhere mentions £75 ??

Autoglass want £49 if through insurance.

Any thoughts on this , is it likely resin repair or new screen ?

IMG_1579.jpeg

Use you insurance company. They will possibly repair with resin and it’s usually invisible.

Of course, you could always use the opportunity to replace with a heated windscree

Pretty useless contacted insurance that passed straight through to approved repairer that booking me in then state earliest appointment is 22nd June :oops: , my current insurance ends on 20th June but apparently it will still be ok as it’s the damage date that counts. So it’s free repair and wait …… unless it gets worse pretty disappointing level service imo. Got to love the small print on booking confirmation……even after I asked if it would be ok for that long

IMG_1583.jpeg

Pretty useless contacted insurance that passed straight through to approved repairer that booking me in then state earliest appointment is 22nd June :oops: , my current insurance ends on 20th June but apparently it will still be ok as it’s the damage date that counts. So it’s free repair and wait …… unless it gets worse pretty disappointing level service imo
I’m interested to see how much your renewal costs. While glass repair and replacement does not affect NCB it certainly doesn‘t mention that it won’t affect the renewal premium.

• Sad
Reactions: MrD
Just about all UK insurers will exclude the first w/screen claim in the last n (usually 3) years - especially when you're talking a repair rather than a replacement. I want to say all insurers will exclude such claims as I can't think of a single exception, but that's too bold a statement.

Are they doing a repair or replacement?

If a repair, maybe another option?

£36 with the current offer and they may get you booked in quicker and it wont be an insurance claim.

Just checked availability for my area and I can book a 8am - 8pm slot for this Thursday for £36. Other slots, like 8-12 etc, have an additional premium.

Last edited:
Just about all UK insurers will exclude the first w/screen claim in the last n (usually 3) years - especially when you're talking a repair rather than a replacement. I want to say all insurers will exclude such claims as I can't think of a single exception, but that's too bold a statement.
Good to know.
I replaced a windscreen on a car about a year ago, paid cash myself rather than risk an insurance hike. I went to an independent fitter, operating on a Facebook site, sharing someone elses premises. He fitted a Pilkington screen for approx 40% of what the big name auto glass suppliers quoted.

Reactions: Bav
Are they doing a repair or replacement?

If a repair, maybe another option?

£36 with the current offer and they may get you booked in quicker.
It’s a repair apparently, but they have just asked for images which I have sent . Autoglass actually charge nothing if through insurer the website coerces you to select standard which includes new wiper blades , I didn’t notice it. However my insurer only cover up to £1000 if not using they’re approved supplier……is it likely if new screen needed to be £1000+ ??

If it’s a replacement I bet they’ll want to replace it with a cheaper aftermarket (probably Chinese made) screen rather than a VW part. It’s worth asking before going ahead.

The reason I mention this is because I had to replace a cracked screen on our Honda and the Admiral claim line put us straight through to Autoglass who weren’t prepared to fit a Honda part unless we paid the full amount for it. As that would have technically meant making a claim, we went to a local company to fit a Honda screen and take the hit and avoid a premium hike at renewal.

It’s a repair apparently, but they have just asked for images which I have sent . Autoglass actually charge nothing if through insurer the website coerces you to select standard which includes new wiper blades , I didn’t notice it. However my insurer only cover up to £1000 if not using they’re approved supplier……is it likely if new screen needed to be £1000+ ??
Moot point as I'm pretty sure yours will repair.

Ok after chatting online with Auto Windscreen and asked to Cancel the appointment so I could go elsewhere sooner they “escalated “ it to the area depot. They to be fair called me 45 minutes later and offered a Technician to be at my wife’s workplace this afternoon and within 35 minutes he has been and completed the repair all done and dusted . No payment required.

Back